• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

All the witcher 3 talk has me thinking what a dumb name Cyberpunk 2077 actually is

though it gets me really excited to see Science Fiction 2299 and Western 1865

Red Dead _____ is a pretty stupid name too

Ignoring quality or even context, are there any games that when you hear/read the name you think "boy that's stupid"

also, just to make the conversation a little more varied, I'll go ahead and post this list and get it out of the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games

de1irium

Elite: Dangerous rubs me the wrong way. As does Shoot Many Robots.

Maybe the names aren't "stupid" per se ... but they make me want to not ever play them.

jgwhiteus

Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies

Think it's a quality game despite the repetitiveness issue, but even after having the concept of "Default" explained by the game I'm still not sure what the title's getting at.

Servbot24

Banned
Red Dead is a cool name imo.

Ultra Turbo Ultimate Street Fighter 4 Remix. I don't know if that's the actual name but they're getting close to it.

Rumble19

Bloodborne. Especially when combined with the fact that so many items and things in the game have blood in their names too. (blood echoes, cold blood, etc.)

1357569140004xpkcz.jpg

Most of our games have absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names (intentionally so).

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning
Cthulhu Saves the World
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4

And when we ported CSTW to the PC, we called it this:
The Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!) version of Cthulhu Saves the World

Cedric

Duodecim 012 Dissidia Final Fantasy
Infinite Undiscovery
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

I think that's the top 3 for square-enix.

edit: You know what, Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System is a pretty weird name taken out of context.

webrunner

Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies

Think it's a quality game despite the repetitiveness issue, but even after having the concept of "Default" explained by the game I'm still not sure what the title's getting at.

The weird title (and subtitle) both have meanings in-game and explain why they are like that, but it doesn't change the fact they are weird.

for the record,
to 'bravely default' means to 'have the courage to turn your back on your responsibilities' - 'default' here having the same meaning as if you default on a loan.
and
"Flying Fairy" and "Where the fairy flies" are designed so that if you take letters off you're left with "Lying Airy" and "Airy lies"

Mr Git

Bloodborne. Especially when combined with the fact that so many items and things in the game have blood in their names too. (blood echoes, cold blood, etc.)

I like Bloodborne. Admittedly I think everything being blood themed isn't great, but thematically it works well when you consider diseases.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The name makes sense but they took it WAY too far with the item names since they make no sense.

Red Hood

Banned
REVENGEANCE

Or Bloodborne. Great name, but why the extra E at the end?
edit: Never mind Bloodborne, apparently borne means something completely different.

CloudWolf

Ínfinite Undiscovery
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance

Undiscovery and Revengeance aren't words and don't make sense. You can't 'un'discover anything, and why would you enact vengeance a second time?

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This is just a very silly name for a very silly game.

To a certain extent, Dinosaur by Falcom. That's actually the name of the final boss, just weird (or perhaps unexplained due to a language barrier) that it's used to represent the game.

Wolfish Gallop seems weird, but only because I don't know what it's referring to.

It has already been mentioned but Elite:Dangerous sounds like such a lazy attempt that I didn't think it was a real game when I first heard of it.

I still don't remember anything about it.

• Birth By Sleep
  • 358/2 Days
  • Peace Walker
  • Crisis Core
  • Indigo Prophecy
  • Faxanadu

I have a feeling they're going to be predominantly Japanese games.

Top Bottom