• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

Under Night In-Birth
Kingdom Hearts 347/2+6(400+20+69)

I can't believe it took 16 replies before someone mentioned Revengeance! Not only is the word itself almost as dumb as "Irregardless," but it also has the connection to the KKK.

So because some asshole said it once 60 years ago in some random case, it's completely off limits for the rest of history?

outrage culture plz

FaintDeftone

Awesome Possum Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt

Awesome_Possum_(USA).png

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

Stupidly awesome?

what actually happened to it? Did it came out eventually?

on topic: every japanese game with at least 10 words in the title.

Burbeting

Banned
Danganronpa.

That says it all.

Actually Danganronpa makes sense as a name. It means "bullet rebuttal" or to be precise "winning an argument with a bullet" which is something that is done a lot during the game. The problem is that the name was not translated for western release, making it just sound gibberish :D (Well truth to be told Bullet Rebuttal would not be a great name either, but t least it wouldn't be ridiculous.)

Still, lot of japanese games would get my vote. The names either make no sense (Infinite Undiscovery), use very bad english ("Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance), are absurdly long with re-releases making it even worse ("BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Plus"). And in many cases, the name has all three at the same time.

Scotch

More recently, I found "Grey Goo" to be an especially horrible name for an RTS game, which I'm sure impacted its dismal sales.

MightyAlpha

Neo Member
I always have a soft spot for the Badman games.
Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?
Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! 2: Time To Tighten Up Security!
and No Heroes Allowed!

Although they got renamed to What Did I Do To Deserve This My Lord!? 1 and 2 though for obvious reasons.

Couleurs

Back when EA made baseball games they used to constantly title it using the next year; for example Triple Play 98 was released early in 1997.

I get why this is done with football, basketball, and hockey games since the seasons run into the next year, but the baseball season falls in the same year so there was no reason to do this other than to make the game seem newer than it actually is and trick people into buying it

Double Spoiler ~ Touhou Bunkachou

It doesn't even make any sense. The game is about taking pictures, not a car game with a double spoiler or a game where you spoil stories.

Despera

Banned
htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary

acAgyaH.jpg

Why? because htoL#NiQ is an stylized verision of the Japanese name Hotaru no Nikki (ホタルノニッキ) and what does that means? "Firefly Diary", it purely redundant and makes the game hard to find on online searches
I was going to mention this game, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the title.

I saw a couple other street fighter ones on the first page, but my vote goes to Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha. My buddy would say "Hey man, wanna play some SFEXPA?" and anyone who didn't know exactly what we were talking about would be so confused. The Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition (2012 version) is obviously the king of stupid names, but SFEXPA I think was the first one to have the really stupid name. Okay, maybe that award goes to Special Champion Edition, but still I think the important takeaway to all this is Capcom sucks at SF names.

Am I the only one that completely grew on to the word "Revengeance" and actually consider it an actual word?

Baby Maker Extreme
baby-maker-extreme-20100415041149798.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
Some of these aren't really all that crazy. I mean, someone thought Budokai Tenkaichi was stupid and/or ridiculous. Are non-English languages that wacky?

Heroes of the Storm is a stupid name for a completely different reason - Blizzard games are often referred to by their acronym, so they made a HotS game after they already had a HotS game. (Heart of the Swarm)

Rookie mistake!

Boogiepop

I don't actually hate these names, but since people are mentioning overly long names in here:
Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga: Endless Frontier: Exceed

And

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army

Alternatively, you can add a 2 to that Devil Summoner and change it to "vs. King Abaddon" and you get a game I actually blurted out in full to a poor Gamestop employee in order to put down a preorder once. But yeah, super long titles, and not even parody stuff.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Off the top of my head:

Fat Worm Blows a Sparky (ZX Spectrum)
Irritating Stick (PSX)
Dink Smallwood (PC)
Ninja Baseball Batman (Arcade)
Melty Blood (Arcade/PC)

playXray

I always thought Oddworld: New & Tasty was a real misfire - they should have just called it Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee HD, Abe's Oddysee Remastered, or even just Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and used the release dates to differentiate them. I also think it's even worse because of the title 'New & Tasty' - to me, this implies it's a new game in the series, rather than a remake of an older game.

I reckon there's a lot of people out there who had no idea this was a remake of the original game - I once worked with someone who was a massive fan of the original and he had no idea there had been a remake, and went straight out and bought it once I told him about it. I didn't even realise myself until six months after it had been released.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else thought the same.

DemonS Souls

Just say Demon Souls
The entire plot is regarding one demon (the "old one", or maybe the king, depending on your perspective) consuming human souls. They are now the Demon's Souls. By definition (in-game), humans turned to demons no longer even have a soul.

Last edited:
Top Bottom