• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

Ebolarama

Banned
Eh? Bloodborne's a real word and perfectly fitting for the game.

As is Warfighter, despite the crappiness of the game.

I think Bloodborne gives the game a very medical aspect, and there is nothing medical or scientific going on in this game. My wife thought it was about pathogens when I brought home my copy.

Moozo

All the witcher 3 talk has me thinking what a dumb name Cyberpunk 2077 actually is

though it gets me really excited to see Science Fiction 2299 and Western 1865

Red Dead _____ is a pretty stupid name too

Red Dead is one of the better ones. At least it's inventive. Not just GUNS AND WAR 7.

Mortal Kombat X (ecks) is pretty stupid too

it's the 10th MK but it's not MK10.

This might very well be Jason X's fault. MK is silly enough to have failed horror movies as inspiration

KBqXjSll.jpg

Thanks for the info Ubisoft.

Steel

Banned
Grey Goo. The game is a super serious RTS and sounds like a kid game.

Also Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold. I mean seriously?

Ebolarama

Banned
I think we can safely say 98% of the titles listed will be Japanese.

My selection: Street Fighter The Movie The Game (game based on the movie-based game is always a classic in redundancy).

Elite: Dangerous rubs me the wrong way. As does Shoot Many Robots.

Maybe the names aren't "stupid" per se ... but they make me want to not ever play them.

It has already been mentioned but Elite:Dangerous sounds like such a lazy attempt that I didn't think it was a real game when I first heard of it.

I still don't remember anything about it.

I LOVE Elite: Dangerous but I feel the same way. It's hard to explain to people, too.

DrunkDan

The Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian is very long winded.

Also, Prospector in the mazes of Xor was one I always found strange as a child.

Piers

Ínfinite Undiscovery
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance

Undiscovery and Revengeance aren't words and don't make sense. You can't 'un'discover anything, and why would you enact vengeance a second time?

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This is just a very silly name for a very silly game.

Revengeance is an actual word - just outdated with avengence taking its place. But I agree with both, they're really dumb.

Toxi

Banned
As is Warfighter, despite the crappiness of the game.

I think Bloodborne gives the game a very medical aspect, and there is nothing medical or scientific going on in this game. My wife thought it was about pathogens when I brought home my copy.
The game starts with a blood transfusion and then shows you the apocalyptic aftermath of a widespread bloodborne illness.

htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary

acAgyaH.jpg

Why? because htoL#NiQ is an stylized verision of the Japanese name Hotaru no Nikki (ホタルノニッキ) and what does that means? "Firefly Diary", it purely redundant and makes the game hard to find on online searches

Tookay

Ínfinite Undiscovery
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance

Undiscovery and Revengeance aren't words and don't make sense. You can't 'un'discover anything, and why would you enact vengeance a second time?

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

This is just a very silly name for a very silly game.
Revengeance is an old timey word for vengeance.
Latin = Stupid?
Because that was what he was complaining about.

moerser

Mortal Kombat X (ecks) is pretty stupid too

it's the 10th MK but it's not MK10.

This might very well be Jason X's fault. MK is silly enough to have failed horror movies as inspiration

i dont know if you think its stupid because they say X instead of ten, or you didnt know that x is the roman numeral for ten.

Why? because htoL#NiQ is an stylized verision of the Japanese name Hotaru no Nikki (ホタルノニッキ) and what does that means? "Firefly Diary", it purely redundant and makes the game hard to find on online searches

Reminds me of Manos: The Hands of Fate, which translates to Hands: The Hands of Fate.

The Firefly Diary by itself is a good name though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The name "Resident Evil" movie was translated into Russian as, literally, "Residence of Evil." I don't know why I remembered that... maybe because it makes more sense.
The actual name "Biohazard" makes way more sense. Stupid copyright forced them to come up with a throwaway name.

Latin = Stupid?
It is when the person coming up with them has no sense of subtlety or understanding of the latin language. Like FFXV with those awfully transparent latin names.

Fury451

Banned
Bloodborne. Especially when combined with the fact that so many items and things in the game have blood in their names too. (blood echoes, cold blood, etc.)

That's a real word, as well as both a thematic and plot related word though...

Mine is Spec Ops: The Line. Soooooo generic, and it really hides the brilliance laying beneath it.

HoosTrax

SimCity
Medal of Honor
Mortal Kombat
Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Please use a unique suffix on a game name when creating sequels!

Mr Git

Because it's referring to borne, not born. Bloodborne means something carried by blood, not something born of blood. Like a Waterborne disease. Borne has a different meaning than born.

I considered there was double meaning there - as it was around the 18th century (and the setting is very Victorian fantasy) there became a distinction between borne and born. And the latter works also with the themes in the game.

mcz117chief

Cthulhu Saves the World: Super Hyper Enhanced Championship Edition Alpha Diamond DX Plus Alpha FES HD – Premium Enhanced Game of the Year Collector’s Edition (without Avatars!) Official Press Release

Top Bottom