• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with absolutely stupid and/or ridiculous names?

I've noticed a lot of really quite awful names cropping up on Steam. Grey Goo, Total War Battles: Kingdoms and Space Beast Terror Fright to name but 3 recent ones.

However the worst has to be:

Life is Feudal: Your Own

It really is terrible.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
  • Birth By Sleep
  • 358/2 Days
  • Peace Walker
  • Crisis Core
  • Indigo Prophecy
  • Faxanadu

I have a feeling they're going to be predominantly Japanese games.

Yeah, Japanese game titles are certainly up there. Good to see Capcom recognise that with that 'super hyper dead rising DX' etc. Xbox one title. Funny.

Hahs

This!

goat_simulator_logo_0.jpg

This is so - stupid to me! It's not a simulator - of any kind. I'd like to wager that inebriation contributes to titles/games like this.

Also

battleborn and warface are fucking stupid

i dont know if you think its stupid because they say X instead of ten, or you didnt know that x is the roman numeral for ten.

I thought i made my point when I broke down the (ecks) in the first line but maybe not but yes I'm aware that X is a roman numeral

I had never heard of Fat Worm Blows a Sparky until right now. And I nominate it for this thread, wow.

jesus christ

I've noticed a lot of really quite awful names cropping up on Steam. Grey Goo, Total War Battles: Kingdoms and Space Beast Terror Fright to name but 3 recent ones.

However the worst has to be:

Life is Feudal: Your Own

It really is terrible.

I dont know if this is worse than fat worm. This one has a pun and then a fragment and is just bad as anything

I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is stupid. It's certainly better than the Witcher :p

Other than Revengeance and Infinite Undiscovery, I can only think of

• Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide
  • Warface

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Also, generic mobile copycat games. 'Cookie jam', 'Game of war'. Not necessarily that bad on their own, but the lack of imagination infuriates me.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
it is hilarious though, so I kinda love it

Project CARS

Halo 5: Guardians
Don't mix numerals and subtitles when it's not a defined convention

Sonic and Sega All-stars.....

Playstation All-stars Battle Royale

"Demon's Souls"

I've always found it to be an annoying name, since it doesn't roll off the tongue at all, and even half of Gaf spells it wrong.

I keep seeing "Demon Souls", "Demons Souls", "Demons' souls", etc.

I guess I find most names with apostrophes bad.

Tain

"Epic Quest for Mighty Loot" is one of the most offensive that comes to mind. Who could hear a name like that and even consider looking up more on the game?

good god

Shifty1897

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness

...wtf.

Warface. Type of conflict, part of body, 100% stupid.

Combat Leg.

Conflict Elbow.

BATTLE SPLEEN.

It's just awful.

To be fair, I would absolutely play a game titled "BATTLE SPLEEN."

It's a series I'm fond of, but goddamn "Fatal Fury" sounds dumb. "Garou Densetsu" sounds awesome in Japanese, even its English translation sounds better. (I read somewhere that it translates to "Legend of the Hungry Wolf" or something, but I might be off).

Anything with "Revelations" as a subtitle, especially when nothing is being revealed in the game.

majik13

Bloodborne. Especially when combined with the fact that so many items and things in the game have blood in their names too. (blood echoes, cold blood, etc.)

yeah, too many things called "blood ...". Ill be co oping, and tell my friend use your blood thing. Yeah I suck

Sirim

I've always hated Hyperdimension Neptunia and the Atelier series game names. Just messy and complicated. Like Hymerdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (sic)

"Demon's Souls"

I've always found it to be an annoying name, since it doesn't roll off the tongue at all, and even half of Gaf spells it wrong.

Yep, always hated the name Demon's Souls too. Just really lame.

I avoided the series for a long time because all I knew of it was the name Demon's Souls and I figured it was just some throwaway game. I was wrong, of course.

LaserHawk

"Ittle Dew"

It's a WiiU eShop title that plays like Zelda and stars a girl named Ittle Dew. It just seems like a dumb name to me.

Red Hood

Banned
"Demon's Souls"

Actually if you think about it, I'm not even sure if it's grammatically correct. I mean, it's one demon's soul. Singular, not plural. A single demon's souls doesn't make sense. At least that's how I see it. I really think they meant to say Demons (as in multiple demons) Souls.

Also, Demons' Souls is something different entirely and I think it's even worse. It adds a whole new syllable that just doesn't feel right.

Come on dude.

TkKYNHZ.png

Laurentius beat you to it. I know now.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness is doing this for me today. I'm sure somehow somewhere in the vast (star) ocean of lore and bad VA it's explained, but it's a silly title to me.

Sirim

Actually if you think about it, I'm not even sure if it's grammatically correct. I mean, it's one demon's soul. Singular, not plural. A single demon's souls doesn't make sense. At least that's how I see it. I really think they meant to say Demons (as in multiple demons) Souls.

Also, Demons' Souls is something different entirely and I think it's even worse. It adds a whole new syllable that just doesn't feel right.

Laurentius beat you to it. I know now.
It is grammatically correct. Souls are fictional and something in fiction can have numerous souls in them. But it's very weird to say, I thought it was incorrect too.

Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png

Seriously, the title alone made me completely disregard the game for years, until the constant praise from GAF eventually led me to pick it up.

Yasawas

No mention of Killzone? Fucking hell. I'd be embarrassed to ask for it anywhere, sounds like something from The Simpsons.

Altazor

"Life is Feudal: Your Own"

my own what?

EDIT: I've never liked "Project CARS" either. Sounds like a very generic working title that somehow stuck.

Top Bottom