• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you liked but no one else seemed to

The_hunter

Sunken City
Mass Effect 1 as the best in the series, downhill since
Atomic Heart
The Last Faith
Necromunda: Hired Gun
Dead Money DLC
Doom Eternal weapon swapping and F-16 behavior
RE6 has higher replay value than RE5. Maybe the best mechanics of the series. That melee shot combo feels great every time you do it. (which is a lot)
Dead money is so good.

qwb0C4m.jpeg

Roberts

I seriously liked Redfall more than its reputation implies. I mean, it is a 7/10 game at best but it just feels good to play it. I completed it after they released 60 fps patch but I keep coming back to it once in a while.

Recore is great and I really enjoyed the new Battletoads game.

Speaking of old games, there was this Farcry-type open world game before it was a thing. I think it was called Boiling Point and is probably 20 years old. I have never heard anyone talk about it but I remember being impressed by it.

Zannegan

A lot of people roast Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, and I understand why. I went in prepared to hate it for its seemingly random departure from the classic formula. I ended up loving it though, and I'd kill for a spiritual successor that expanded on the physics-driven build-your-own concept.

Mass Effect 1 as the best in the series, downhill since
Damn straight.

Paltheos

Tales of Zestiria, absolutely. This game gets a lot of flak, and a good chunk of it is deserved, especially for the cosmically arcane upgrade system and the abrupt turns in the story (and not-ironed out combat in non-instanced arenas), but the big criticism that I can't agree with is that this game is boring or uncreative. It's an Arthurian journey led by a happy-go-lucky bookworm in a big, exciting world, accompanied by magical quasi-deities that wield sealing paper, pendulums, and umbrellas as weapons. It lives up to its namesake of being zesty, and the game looks damn good too when uncapped from its 30fps cage. It's a very flawed game but its enthusiasm really shines through imo.

I'm the really weird one here, because I think this game is pretty great while Tales of Xillia is weak af. It's not across the board loved but even the mid rating I've seen from some people baffles me. It's the most by-the-numbers, rushed-out-the-door title in the series.

The_hunter

I guess for me its Death Stranding. I enjoyed the game, it's bloated and not as deep as MGS, but I had a lot of fun with what was there.

I got the platinum for the game.

Last edited:

WoJ

I don't think it's that uncommon to say Mass Effect 1 is the best in the trilogy. In fact I think that's become a more popular view over time.

For the topic itself, this is basically "which 5/10 game do you love."

I love games that are allegedly bad. I end up liking most of them.

Off the top of my head Mass Effect Andromeda, Days Gone, Suikoden IV, and State of Decay 2 come to mind.

simpatico

Gold Member
Damn straight.
Any developer is welcome to try and create an answer to the promise that Bioware made with the ME1 marketing. I thought the first entry was a decent shot at it and was hyped to see it grow. When the sequel narrowed the scope I felt like the only bummed person on launch day. Every gaming media outlet was saying how great it was and I thought it was a big step back to just become a TPS with dialog choices. Thermal clips gtfo.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Modern Warfare 2022 is a top 5 Call of Duty for me. Had tons of fun in multiplayer getting gold camos for all the weapons.

Soul Calibur IV is more fun for me than V or VI. Ivy and Sophitia were so hot in this one too omg.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Trinity Souls of Zill Oll
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
The Order 1886
Final Fantasy XIII
The Medium
Blair Witch
Alundra
Lomax
The Sinking City
Loved some of the games you listed and I played (Majin, El Shaddai, The Order, The Sinking City) but I really don't understand your inclusion of Aludra in this list : always been pretty sure it has always been considered an essential PS1 game, pretty close to a masterpiece, so I don't get what it has to do it in this thread

Fbh

Gold Member
images
images
images

I get it, it's not what people want out of these franchises.
But if you can sort of look at them in a vacuum I think all 3 are really fun Co-Op games that I had a blast playing through with friends.

My appreciation for them has actually only gone up over the years because I really fucking miss these types of games: Linear, decently paced, action packed 10-15 hours long co-op games.
Not some bloated open world or a grindy GAAS looter shooter were we have to play through the same content again and again to grind for color coded loot.

Hoddi

Going through my recent playlist I have:

The Order 1886
Star Wars Force Unleashed (especially the sequel where you're really overpowered)
Hellblade 1+2
Quantum Break
Castlevania Mirror of Fate
Watch Dogs 1
Wolfenstein Youngblood
God of War Ascension (which nobody ever talks about)

I also enjoyed Redfall quite a bit despite being a horribly broken mess at launch. This game deserved better.

Doom85

Blair Witch
Death Stranding
Dragon Age Inquisition
Evil Within 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Forspoken
Outlast 2
Overwatch 2
Resident Evil 0 and 5
Watch Dogs 2

Still the best controlling third person shooter game of all time imo.
It was Snake Simulator and I fucking loved that it let me listen to tapes of Wagner while sending a Jeep strapped with explosives into a checkpoint.

I get the complaints in hindsight but the fact it kind just ends randomly didn't elicit more than a confused shrug from me. I kept playing the next day. Also online invasions were killer. I liked that component a lot and spent quite some time on that also.

Zannegan

I don't think it's that uncommon to say Mass Effect 1 is the best in the trilogy. In fact I think that's become a more popular view over time.

For the topic itself, this is basically "which 5/10 game do you love."
To your point, I had a great time with the first Red Steel, warty as it is. Even its hideous multiplayer mode was a ton of fun in split screen.

• Strength
Reactions: WoJ

samoilaaa

aDWTrhH.jpeg

people dont like it because its clunky and combat isnt very great but i like it because im a sucker for mature stories with religion/biblical themes

Raven117

Dragon View. (Snes game).

Seems like I played the only copy in existence (rented from a blockbuster in the 90s)

Last edited:
Resident Evil 6. If it was not called Resident Evil, it would have scored higher. Halo 5's multiplayer is my favourite in the series. The campaign was so awful that I wish they had done what Activision did with Black Ops 4 as it drags down the whole thing.

CashPrizes

I really enjoyed Dragon Age 2. Liked the cast, how combat worked even tho it wasn't as good as DA1 it was still a lot of fun. My only problem was reusing the dame dungeon assets again and again, but seems like everyone else hated the narrative and the combat and everything else.

Also Mass Effect Andromeda, the plot and characters were bad compared to other Bioware games but the combat was great, and the multiplayer was fantastic.

While not hated widely, Vandal Hearts on PS1 does not get the attention it deserves. Also MotorStorm Pacific Rift on PS3.

Can't believe so many people are championing Resident Evil VI. The combat felt awful compared to 4 and 5, graphics got noticeably worse, plot and characters are complete trash. What is there to like about it compared to 4 and 5?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Metal Gear Survive. It's far from a great game but I enjoyed it enough to finish it (only played solo). I think part of my enjoyment was just being in a game using the MGS5 engine again. I do think the hate it gets is a tad much.

Robinson-The-Journey-Announce.jpg

I loved the world building, creatures, graphics, and music. I enjoyed the puzzles as well. I borrowed it to a friend who agreed with me, but apart from us, no one seemed to agree.

Top Bottom