• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot and IGN review the GOTY (Half-Life 2)

Lakitu

st5fu
I think GameSpot have been very critical lately (who says that's a bad thing?) I'm not talking about scores but the overall impressions that they give when playing a game.

paul777

Banned
With different platforms comes different standards. You can' just put the scores next to each other and compare.

lexi

Banned
paul777 said:
With different platforms comes different standards. You can' just put the scores next to each other and compare.

Probably the most insightful thing to come out of this thread.

LukeSmith

OMG 9.2 it's worse than RIDDICK!? WTF? /sarcasm

9.2 is a great score for a game i haven't played yet and have no opinion of because of that.

Unison

When you combine the strong single-player campaign of Half-Life 2 with the popular online play of Counter-Strike, the result is one of the most complete and compelling first-person shooter packages available. While Half-Life 2 breaks little new ground, it's still a superb and engaging first-person shooter, as well as an amazing technological accomplishment.

Not to whine, but this is the big complaint in the GS review... How GTA:SA & Halo 2 don't get docked for this is utterly beyond me.

HAHA BOMBED TOTAL TSC TSC
SELL YOUR PCs, IT'S ALL OVER!
FISSION MAILED!

small_gabe.jpg

SantaC

basicly the tilt screwed up the score.

with:

10 (graphics)
9 (tilt)

So GameSpot's highest rated game of the year is still GTA?

Yes, GTA:SA has the highest score of the year with 9.6 beating Halo2, MP2, HL2.

BuddyC

Disappointing story? Strong "echoes" of the first game? Weak jumping puzzles?

My, this sounds familiar. This shall be fun.

Even worse, the story leaves behind a mess of unanswered questions, and it doesn't touch on any of the lingering questions left over from the first game. Valve likes to leave tantalizing hints and tidbits everywhere in the game, but few of these actually develop into anything interesting, and by the end you're left wondering what the game was all about. In many ways, Half-Life 2 feels like the middle chapter in a much larger story, and it suffers as a result.

paul777 said:

You can't compare scores across platforms. You can't compare scores across genres. You can't compare scores from different reviewers. You can't compare scores across time. Then why the hell do we even have scores. Because of $$$$ and so people have something to argue about on forums such as this one.

paul777

Banned
I haven't read the review for fear of spoilers, but if Half-Life 2 doesn't break new ground with its integrated(into gameplay) physics, what does?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I was totally kidding, I don't give a shit how those scores fall next to each other. I just think it's funny how it plays out..."Metroid Prime will get a 10 from Gamespot"..."Half-Life 2 will get a higher score"....I think it's just a case of sequels having to live up to SO MUCH when their great original games.

That said...this review is far from uncritical. I was thinking about waiting a little to get the game, and I don't feel as bad about that now as it doesn't sound like the greatest thing ever.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's clear the best FPS this year is going to be Goldeneye Rogue Agent. HOW CAN YOU BEAT THE SEQUEL TO GOLDENEYE PEOPLE?

COCKLES

being watched
So much for the Team Fortress 2 folder in the original dodgy warez release last year. Fuck Cunterstrike Source!

LukeSmith

BuddyChrist83 said:
Disappointing story? Strong "echoes" of the first game? Weak jumping puzzles?

My, this sounds familiar. This shall be fun.

Gamespot likes Return of the Jedi the best.
not Empire.
Fools.

SantaC

basicly the tilt screwed up the score.

with:

10 (graphics)
9 (tilt)

didn't someone said that there was one HL2 DM map to be released?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
"Valve likes to leave tantalizing hints and tidbits everywhere in the game, but few of these actually develop into anything interesting, and by the end you're left wondering what the game was all about. In many ways, Half-Life 2 feels like the middle chapter in a much larger story, and it suffers as a result."

OH TEH NO!!! It's Halo 2 all over again!!!!!! ;)

Top Bottom