• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

Burt

re destiny microtransactions, no one brought up that the implementation of them was to support content throughout the year as opposed to selling two DLC packs. if this means i get content equivalent to what we got the first year for free, then by all means, throw in all the emote and level up consumables you want. i won't buy any, but i'm more than happy to benefit from them. aside from that, luke smith confirmed on gaf that the "nefarious" data mined items were never intended to be for sale with real money currency, just in-game materials.

Didn't they talk about this somewhere else? I'm pretty sure I remember Ian or someone saying that he was cool with them letting the goobers pay for junk if it meant that he was getting the updates. Maybe a GT Live, or am I imagining this?

Umibozu

The reaction to GT time week is kind of bizarre.

I really don't see any evidence one way or the other to determine an unreleased and unannounced console's prospects
I agree that reactions are abit off base, mine included.

I agree there isn't enough evidence there to make determinations on the system one way or the other. My comment was based more on the industry side and the history of speculation not amounting to much (and sometimes leading to disappointment); I was just trying to say that kyle's hopes would only lead him to disapointment.

Didn't they talk about this somewhere else? I'm pretty sure I remember Ian or someone saying that he was cool with them letting the goobers pay for junk if it meant that he was getting the updates. Maybe a GT Live, or am I imagining this?
It was last weeks gt time I think

Loved the end of the CVX stream. Huber juggling the handgun and magnum was a work of art. Great fun all the way through.
Starting the RE4 stream, not one of my top RE games, but Huber is fun to watch so he makes it more enjoyable. His 1st death was epic.
Jones complaining about the notes was a bit grating through. The villagers are just normal folks most of the time, they only go crazy when Saddler flips their switch. If you want to complain about RE4's notes, question why they are all written in English when the game is set in Spain and no domestic characters except for two are even able to understand English.

Not a fan of that superseat guy. I think I shook my head at every single thing that came out his mouth.

Hate Nintendo all you want, but to say the Wii will not be looked back on as a success and history won't remember it is some grade A bullshit.
A cultural phenomenon that was part of the zeitgeist of its era and that everyone from 8-80 knew about...but yeah, won't be remembered like...the N64. Christ.

That and Matt Blair's other N64 mention made me laugh. He really didn't know what he was talking about. Hardcore gamers aren't the only people who play games and the N64 was outsold 3:1, if that's not a stomping then the PSP certainly wasn't either.

The corporate apologising after that was infuriating though.

As for the NX, my take is that there's no point for Nintendo to try and compete with the PS4 and Xbone hardware because third parties aren't going to support them regardless. The hybrid hardware idea catches my interest but they have to do it right, they can't have some games that are console/handheld exclusive and others that are available on both.

Oh and I thought the super seat guy was good.

Auctopus

Scores for the Star Wars trailer were pure fanboyism.

It's not that great a trailer, pretty average. It's just that its Star Wars and has Han Solo.

Kinda wish Blood and Bosman had been there to bring down Jones' hype, instead Huber and Ben got carried away with it. Still cool video though, it's fun to see the guys really enjoy something and go with it. A real pallette cleanser after that GT time.

UrbanRats

That and Matt Blair's other N64 mention made me laugh. He really didn't know what he was talking about. Hardcore gamers aren't the only people who play games and the N64 was outsold 3:1, if that's not a stomping then the PSP certainly wasn't either.

I get your point about this, but i don't know how many of those 8-80 demographic will remember the Wii as something more than a temporary fad.
I mean if anyone is going to remember something like a game console, it's gonna be hardcore gamers, because those are the people that cared.

That said, i think Sony's naming strategy is the simplest, and the smartest.
Ian (i think) said how legendary the Playstation brand is, and it got written off as one of his fanboy Playstation quips (Kyle laughing and all) which is usually how it goes, but in this case, i think he's got a point, and the reason for that, is their simple naming strategy.

The "glory" of Playstation 2 added on to that of Playstation 1, and so did PLaystation 3's and 4's, and portable.
Having this simple but strong naming pattern gave the Playstation brand a lot of power in that sense.

You could argue Xbox did something similar, but they always try to be too clever with the naming (360°; the all in One entertainment system; etc) and just end up confusing and muddying the waters.

Nintendo and Sega also kept changing names too wildly in that sense.

I think that's one key aspect of why the Playstation brand feels so strong and monolithic; and i think going from "Morpheus" (or even "Playstation Morpheus") to "Playstation VR" is another piece in that puzzle.

I'm not saying it directly translates into sales of course, but it does help strengthen the brand, i think.
People are too busy/stupid/don't care, to listen to your fancy reasoning about why call it WiiU or Xbox One.

I know Microsoft was a disadvantage there, because they would've had to call theirs the Xbox 2, when the Playstation 3 was coming out, and that was unfortunate.

UrbanRats

It's not that great a trailer, pretty average. It's just that its Star Wars and has Han Solo.

That's true, if this was a trailer for Eragon or whatever, it wouldn't have been regarded this highly, but they do acknowledge that, and it'd be absurd not to.
The way you build a trailer for the return of Star Wars, has to be very specific and has to keep in mind the legacy its bringing with it.

And it is, still, a good trailer.

fastmower

Loved the end of the CVX stream. Huber juggling the handgun and magnum was a work of art. Great fun all the way through.
Starting the RE4 stream, not one of my top RE games, but Huber is fun to watch so he makes it more enjoyable. His 1st death was epic.
Jones complaining about the notes was a bit grating through. The villagers are just normal folks most of the time, they only go crazy when Saddler flips their switch. If you want to complain about RE4's notes, question why they are all written in English when the game is set in Spain and no domestic characters except for two are even able to understand English.
Brandon's notes complaint is 100% valid. The antagonists blatantly write out their plans and leave them in random locations for the player to find. The notes are complete hogwash compared to older RE games.

fastmower

I wanna see the recent trailers that make the final SW trailer average...

I tend to hate modern trailers and I thought this SW trailer was great.

sora87

I enjoyed GT Time, I love the anticipation and speculation when a new console is on the horizon. Davis was a good guest, can definitely tell he's not associated with the smosh douches. Blair.. I dunno, I do disagree with a lot of his corporate spin but he does offer different views to the others and builds the conversation more. I think it's just hard for GT Time to have a balanced group.

Also there is definitely less hype for Halo 5, even a lot of my friends who loved it aren't bothered.
Maybe because they all have PS4s instead now :B

Neogaf Best of E3 awards:

2012, Halo 4. 2nd place only behind TLOU

2015, Halo 5. 29th place behind such titles as Star Fox Zero, Dishonored 2 (no gameplay), Mass Effect Andromeda (no gameplay).

I refuse to think the demographic on Neogaf has changed THAT radically in 3 years. I personally haven't been invested in Halo since 2 and don't have much insight but something went down with the series.

Hey, you guys doing any sort of live streaming for the PGW Sony conf or no?

They are. Starts 30 mins before the conference. Huber, Kyle and Ben should be there.

Umibozu

The n64 although a failure compared to the previous generation was still a contender in NA. Two thirds of the n64 sales were in north america and the n64 outsold the playstation1 in canada (according to npd). I can see why europeans find the statement obsurd when the playstation1 trounced the 64 outside of NA though.
The playstation brand does have legacy and is the current strongest gaming brand, but let's not forget that the brand took a hit during the playstation 3, to the point where they rebranded it to ps3 (ala kfc).

Hasney

The controls are the same, but the reason Huber had such a hard time with the QTEs is the tv's input lag.

Yeah, it's unplayable in places on my TV and I finished it on the GC. It's expecting a CRT response time. Plus the capture stuff is probably adding its own lag.

fastmower

Yeah, it's unplayable in places on my TV and I finished it on the GC. It's expecting a CRT response time. Plus the capture stuff is probably adding its own lag.

I just beat it on the PC remaster from this year and found it completely playable. I haven't tried it on any other system though.

I enjoyed GT Time, I love the anticipation and speculation when a new console is on the horizon. Davis was a good guest, can definitely tell he's not associated with the smosh douches. Blair.. I dunno, I do disagree with a lot of his corporate spin but he does offer different views to the others and builds the conversation more. I think it's just hard for GT Time to have a balanced group.

Also there is definitely less hype for Halo 5, even a lot of my friends who loved it aren't bothered.
Maybe because they all have PS4s instead now :B

Thank you for writing that post, because I completely agree and you saved me some time.

Corporate Blair was fine and the guest was fine as well (really don't get the hate for him). I don't agree with Matt on micro transactions, but it was fine, because it offered a different viewpoint in this tired discussion. And since Kyle got the last word, they ended on a good note on that regard.

Burt

I'm glad they let the hype flow through them for the trailer score.

They made a lot of good points, and I'm much happier listening to them articulate their actual responses than I would be with them acting hypercritical for some notion of discerning a perfectly objective, scientifically-sound score. Having, say, someone like Huber stand up and shout with absolute confidence, "THAT'S A GOD DAMN 10" is definitely preferable to them hemming and hawing as they artificially dial back their reactions because perfect scores are scary. Especially for trailers, which should be viewed in a different light than actual reviews.

And that trailer was pretty goddamn great.

Brought to you by the guy that made this thread

That was the best ManUp in ages, excellent all the way through, but Bosman's tantrum was killer. I nearly fell of my chair laughing. Hope that quality keeps up.

Sami+

I gotta be honest I'm not usually a big fan of Blair on GT Time either, but I don't dislike him or anything. Ben, Huber, and Elyse are def my favorite super seat guests.

Karu

I gotta be honest I'm not usually a big fan of Blair on GT Time either, but I don't dislike him or anything. Ben, Huber, and Elyse are def my favorite super seat guests.
He is a bit of a mystery to me. I don't outright dislike him either, but I guess he really sticks out among the GT Crew, GT Time specifically. It doesn't fit tonally, he comes of as the no-fun allowed guy which opposes the very reason I watch those guys in the first place. It's a perception-thing, probably. Maybe.

His just played videos are great, he asks the right questions. Wish they'd have him doing more of those. He's not that bad on GT time though and much more positive than Damiani ever was, he was Giant Bomb levels of salt.

ito007

Just saw the GT Time. Blair is awesome and I admire his level headedness. I disagree with him every now and then, but it's like I said before, he talks about another way of thinking. Also, the people in the show may have a very good inclination as to what goes on in these businesses, but they can't be certain simply because the big business decisions they discuss are often formulated in secret meetings that they weren't a part of.

Overall though the episode was great and the super seat guy was real cool. It's hard to not like GT Time really.

Overall though the episode was great and the super seat guy was real cool. It's hard to not like GT Time really.

GT Time is the only gaming podcast with something to say.

I'm not even kidding

That was the best ManUp in ages, excellent all the way through, but Bosman's tantrum was killer. I nearly fell of my chair laughing. Hope that quality keeps up.

I wouldn't call it the best episode in ages, because the jokes fell really, really flat, but the tone made it fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

UrbanRats

Just finished part 1 of the RE4 stream.
  • Huber can keep his cool like a mofo, in those butt clenching moments.
  • He's pretty good at RE4, too.
  • Never get movie advices from the GT staff (maybe Elyse has better taste in that regard).
  • REbirth>RE4>RE3>RE2>RECVx.
  • RE4 is fucking amazing and long as shit, to boot, how the fuck did they accomplish that in 2005?

UrbanRats

Going by their comments Bloodborne is 99% lock.

Agreed, perhaps Witcher 3 and MGSV will make things hard though.
Maybe Fallout 4 will change some hearts, but i doubt it.

I, for one, am confident in Just Cause 3 being my GOTY though.
Didn't have the time to properly dive into Witcher 3, Bloodborne gave me some Souls fatigue and don't really care about Bethesda games anymore (last one i really loved was Morrowind).
MGSV was my sure fire hit, but... well that turned out less than amazing for me (gameplay delivered, everything else was real bad).

Top Bottom