• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

jond76

Banned
I think the talent will be fine. Huber and Bossman need to team up on something for sure. I'm sure the lot of them could go in on something together.

Please!

I still remember the first HD video review they posted. Battlefield 2.

GT ruined other game sites in terms of video quality for years.

illusionary

Wow... I have to say, I didn't see this coming one bit. Very, very sad news - I loved what the site offered. I really hope that the staff all land on their feet elsewhere - they certainly deserve to!

Spizz

Banned
Sad news, hope everyone is able to land back on their feet. That E3 2015 video still brings a smile to my face everytime I see it.

ButchCat

Heart broken and their offices too? What about their YouTube channel? We've been through so much together the past ten years, it can't fucking be?!

It definitely would have been much less of a bummer if this happened when the site still stood for Keighley, Pachter, Satterfield and other jerks. Now it goes down after it actually became a fun place.

LiamR

GameTrailers has a fantastic archive from over the years, some of which isn't all saved on YouTube or elsewhere. I implore as many people as possible to attempt to back some of it up; especially the cancelled video game trailers.

This is a huge loss for preservation and for gaming. They were a great inspiration to me, and I hope everyone lands on their feet after this - they certainly deserve to.

the GT time host has always been the same though

Didnt even notice its the same hosts. But I would notice often some of them had no idea what basic news items had transpired. And would spill just erroneous informarion almost every week. Thus their 5mins corrections every start. I was just shocked how bad they would have their info.

So I lose my favourite gaming channel at the same time as my other favourite rises from the dead through Patreon? (Level Up, Norwegian gaming show)

This really sucks. After giantbomb started to go down the shitter a couple of years ago I got my personality driven games journalism from GT. Sucks that it's over. Hopefully some of them can continue working together somehow, and preferably in front of the camera/mic and not behind in the shadows. I'm gonna miss them :(

JayEH

Companies want you to give them a 2 week notice but in return they give you a few hours haha. What a world.

iNvid02

god damn it man, just thinking about how it was the go to place for years with that reliable spike E3 stream and keighley hosting, plus his weekly bonus round segments, pach attack subtly throwing shade at gaf, rising star bosman being discovered, the always smooth and reliable narration of jones, and so many other great shows and people. the resurgence with their gt time podcast quickly became a favourite too.

and the plethora of trailers they archived, fuck

3TEdiW7.gif

You guys had a great run.

Here's to this being an opportunity rather than a letdown.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
GT was my favorite review site. Their reviews were always a little longer than most, but it was well worth it, and I liked how they really broke down each facet of the game. They were very fair in their reviews. Weren't overly hard or easy. I remember their review of Vesperia accidentally put a short clip of the end boss in the review, but other than that I never had a problem with anything they've ever done.

Gonna miss GT :(

GameTrailers has a fantastic archive from over the years, some of which isn't all saved on YouTube or elsewhere. I implore as many people as possible to attempt to back some of it up; especially the cancelled video game trailers.

This is a huge loss for preservation and for gaming. They were a great inspiration to me, and I hope everyone lands on their feet after this - they certainly deserve to.

Their site is a mess. So many dead links and broken search items - we're all going to lose so much stuff.

orochi91

GT was a breath of fresh air, especially with their E3 coverage.

I don't wanna have to fall back on Giant Bomb, those guys are so damn depressing :/

careksims

Damn! That's crazy news to read after waking up from a nap... end of an era. So no more GameTrailers Twitch Streams? Good luck to everyone involved in this D:

matmanx1

Sadness! I've watched a lot of great content on GT over the years and will miss them. Hopefully those folks find good gigs somewhere else and can continue to do what they love.

Trickster

Damn that is out of left field. Not the news I wanted to go to sleep on.

Hopefully they'll be able to make something new and stay in the gaming media scene. They have some great personalities that just ooze gaming passion.

diggler41

This stinks. Just got into the site the past couple of years.. Seemed like all really swell guys. I always see Blood on here discussing reviews and such it makes me super sad for him this happened while he is on his honeymoon.

JayEH

You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

Well said.

This is absolutely awful. I looooooove GameTrailers as it's been for the last 2 or 3 years. I guess the writing was on the wall, but I didn't want it to be.

What a bunch of crap. I'm sad and I don't want to see everyone scattered to the wind trying to fit into other camps or anyone disappear. I wish there was a way this could be saved with Patreon, I would back it so hard, but it's not like they can all live in a house and do this.

:(

goldenpp72

They really should try to keep the group together and work through youtube somehow, I have no idea how fiscally possible that is but damn, i'd subscribe :(

I agree. Please guys don't let us lose some of their great stuff like retrospective and timeline

Yeah, they were blatantly running on fumes pretty much since the Defy Media buyout, as it very quickly became apparent that they had no idea what to do with that site.

Man, pretty much all of the games sites that Defy bought out has either shut down (GameFront, Game Trailers) or are in a terminal decline (Escapist). They really don't know what they're doing.

God fucking damn it.

I've really started to love them since they started embracing Youtube and went personality-based (basically, since their last round of lay-offs). The writing's been on the wall for them for a long time, they all knew it. This is still incredibly sudden though, and I'm so sad to see them go. They had become by far my #1 source for video games and without GT Time, Mandatory Update, and The Final Bosman I'm going to have a lot less to look forward to every week. They all became a staple of my Thursday night, something I'd look forward to.

This sucks.

Hope they all land on their feet and keep us updated on where they end up. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them move out of video games completely (Kyle's talked about it, Don and Ian clearly have enough skills behind the camera that they have more options, Brandon can edit and do VO, Bloodworth could just be a manager of something etc.), but if they stick with similar content, I'll definitely follow them. Only other people I've really done that with were Jeremy Parish and Max Scoville.

Good luck guys, and thanks for everything.

Edit: Also, Bloodworth just took like a 3 week vacation. Either he knew and was trying to use up all that built up vacation time before it went to waste, or this was spectacular timing for him.

orochi91

You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

Well said.

Their enthusiasm and excitement during E3 especially was so damn infectious.

Adnor

Banned
What? I haven't seen any of their content in years, but I thought they were a huge site. As there been any notice that they had financial problems or something like that?

Will just post what I said in the final GT stream thread since I saw that first and was pretty much blindsided:

Oh no :(

Been following them on and off for years and really got into their stuff since this past E3. Absolutely fell in love with the team and their content. GT Time in particular is (was...) the best gaming podcast going.

Goddammit. I'm actually speechless.

I'm really shocked how sudden this seemed to be. Sure they probably knew/had a good idea it was going to happen, but even as late as the Dumb Game Monday stream a couple of hours ago Kyle just said it was going to be Huber playing American Truck Simulator on stream as scheduled...

Heartbroken. That's a lot of content I, among many others, am going to sorely miss. But most importantly I hope everyone lands on their feet elsewhere.

Top Bottom