• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

sinxtanx

3TEdiW7.gif

You'll be missed fellas.

Here's to this being an opportunity rather than a letdown.

I am again reminded that this is my favorite GT gif

Sucks, because they had the best E3 coverage out of all the gaming sites by far. And on top that, I used to be pretty active there back in 2006-2008.

Hopefully things go well for everyone losing their jobs.

Calmine

Oh man this sucks. Some of their shows were great like the retrospective series and pop fiction.

Real shame. Hopefully all those affected find new places.

I was introduced to GT just before this years E3, and I absolutely fell in love with this team. Watching the Sony press conference live with them was unbelievable, and I've gone back and listened to every GT time since its inception. While I am definitely a latecomer to the crowd, I cannot express how much of a joy it has been to be a part of their community.

The hype will never end.

Femto.

You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.
Well said.

No other media outlet is like GT, they were not trying to be anything else but video game enthusiasts.

Akai__

You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

Very well said. I loved their content so much and it hurts seeing them go. Appreciate every second they devoted to it.

Dmax3901

This is devastating. I was obsessed with this site thanks to the Final Bosman.

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

That is really a bummer to me. I enjoyed a lot of their video content that I found from other aggregation sites. I was not a true fan but they were pretty consistently a place that I went for info...

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
This bums me out :( I watched GT content exclusively from 2010-2013 :( invisible walls my first kind of podcast that was great, pop fiction was an incredible show and there reviews were always great.

Such a shitty way to be shut down

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
That sucks =(

Loved the passion that was shown in that E3 broadcast last year. It was cool to have a crew that was ok cutting loose with their hype like that from time to time. Not sure what you have to do to survive in this day and age if a good group like that met this fate.

Nere

Fuck can't believe this is even true absolutely loved their content, it was always my go to site and thought their reviews held the most credibility. Hope they do a youtube channel or something, they will be missed.

Crazy, first gaming site/forum I joined. Content was pretty great.

The forums were ok, but stopped going their when they became pro(anti? Always get them confused) gamer gate.

TissueBox

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

*shakes head, lies on floor, rolls into a conveniently placed open casket*

Jacked up news, for pretty much every person affected who didn't, you know, hate the site's existence. They were comprehensive, games-centered, and in the loop, trading insight and info card for card and with succinctly edited videos and exclusive features -- and they were genuinely the only ones of their kind which existed on a truly professional, high-quality level. Not to mention having a gang with charisma and aptitude enough to even satiate the Fangs of GAF, which could probably rip up a, uh, low-end Sleep Number pillow.

Pouring out one for the team.

MrPanic

What a horrible day for online gaming video entertainment. I really hope some of them can group together and create some sort of own channel, their synergy was too good to be just lost like that. I hope everything works out for everyone.

:(

AHA-Lambda

Damn, that's heartbreaking :(

It did seem like they waned in popularity a lot the last couple years though, along with a lot of staff changes. Doesn't seem too surprising but damn it's sad :/

Gvitor

Goddammit... They were great. I don't agree with quite a lot of their thoughts on some games, but the crew is just a fantastic bunch, with great personality and chemistry, that it was a joy to listen to. They will be missed, but I'll be following them individually if they choose to go forward that way.

its amazing that this
ae7.jpg

could have a sad ending. Not having a gametrailers when shenmue 3 hits is just...hopefully huber gets somewhere where he can be as expressive

This is such a great image...

Crzy1

Damn. Knew it was only a matter of time after they got bought out. Kept getting downsized and downsized. Was the only gaming site I still had some manner of respect for.

Hopefully they can all land on their feet. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for their future pursuits.

Mikey Jr.

...................What the fuck........

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dalex

So sudden, I can't thank the GT staff enough. Through all these years they put out so much content and entertainment. My go to website for all reviews and videos. So many fond memories,

Salute and hopefully the beginning of something great

Btw what happened to all the user videos on gametrailers?

IanHinck

Neo Member
Thank you all for being supportive for so many years! I'm sure you haven't seen the last of us! Good night and good game.

Hedgey

n10yo.png

I am sad, hurt, and lost.

The ONE, SINGLE gaming media outlet I actually enjoy is closing down today. Rest in Peace gaming journalism.

SpotAnime

Too bad. End of an era. GT was mighty once but just like another poster said, the writing was on the wall when Keighley and then Pachter left. I was just watching Pach Attack this weekend and was thinking how GT was so prominent just a couple of years ago. I think Twitch and YouTube streamers really cut into the channel's audience.

I'm sure the talent there will find some new home. Kinda Funny and Giant Bomb sound like good places for them, if not they do the Patreon route.

https://youtu.be/HXJTWEEi6BM

Never forget.

Shane86

Haven't visited Gametrailers since Invisible Walls, Pach Attack and Bonus round ended. You can't even go back and watch the old episodes on the site.

GT was an amazing website to visit until the management swap a year or so ago which is when I kind of gave up visiting, pop fiction was great.

Azuran

Banned
Damn I always thought GT was going to be one of those sites that would stand the test of time. This is so sad.

Top Bottom