• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I would have paid for a subscription plan for GameTrailers content. :-/

Yawnier

Banned
The writing was definitely on the wall for these guys, but this is still sad to see.

This used to be the main gaming site I frequented for gaming news, fan made videos, reviews, the forum, etc. from like 2006 to 2010 or so.

MechaX

Man, that's... terrible.

It only just dawned on me how long I have used them as a source for good reviews (I probably only really look at Giant Bomb for impressions otherwise).

I haven't felt this way since 1up imploded.

A shame, especially since I just recently ,,rediscovered" the channel with their focus on the personal and really liked it (excluding one or two people). But I also felt this would be coming unfortunately - although it still seems abrupt. And even before their refocusing, I usually went to their reviews for video footage, naturally crtl+fing gametrailers when I was looking at an old game on gamerankings.

GT used to be a go to source and have a decent forum.But then some moron decided the site needed a makeover and of course killed its community in the process.

the vbulletin forum database dying on them screwed them, and they could never get the new forums to work 100%

Messiek

I was not rdy for this news.
large.gif

I hope they all find a good place to work.
I need my Bosman, Ian, Huber, Ben ... MY GT FIX ;(((((

vareon

Inevitable but still sad. I loved their reviews, retrospective videos. But now in the age of a kid with a webcam can make a show in Youtube, I guess it's hard to maintain value. Not to mention companies have been uploading their videos to youtube directly for years.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This really sucks.

I hope everyone lands on their feet. It's one of the few sites that have people that are clearly passionate about gaming still working at them.

They went downhill after Pachter. Not surprised, I haven't watched since then anyway. Content and GT time went down in quality IMO (current hosts demonstrated lack of knowledge of current gaming in general). Hope they all get jobs on other places quickly, no one on that site should be without a job, good guys at least.

Gametrailers was OG. Haven't exactly been following GT or been part of the community, but throughout the years I've watched a ton of stuff on GT. I'm grateful for much of their original productions, videos they hosted, and I still remember how vital GT was for actual game trailers back when internet video sucked garbage.

RIP, and good luck to all the people.

mekes

Have been visiting GT for so long, 10+ years. Finding the site all those years back Brandon was so damn good at his job that GT immediately became my go-to for reviews. The thought of having no more Brandon narrated reviews makes me sad. I feel for the GT crew.

Surely something like Patreon is an option?

Alucrid

Banned
They went downhill after Pachter. Not surprised, I haven't watched since then anyway. Content and GT time went down in quality IMO (current hosts demonstrated lack of knowledge of current gaming in general). Hope they all get jobs on other places quickly, no one on that site should be without a job, good guys at least.

the GT time host has always been the same though

Bummer, I hope everyone manages to land on their feet.

I really enjoyed the early years. 2004-2010 were probably when I visited the site the most. The last few never clicked with me, still sucks that they have to close.

Bosman was my gateway to GT and I came to really like other GT shows and the personalities there. It'll be a huge bummer to not hear the discussions Ben, Huber, Kyle etc have in the future. They had some great chemistry.

RedSnake

Man... this is sad. It was the place I would go to see game trailers 10+ years ago.

I would always check their game reviews, pop fiction, retrospectives...

Good luck to everyone involved.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I get the feeling GT is going away soon, they keep getting shuffled off into smaller and smaller areas. There latest office looks like its the size of my bedroom.

Hope I'm wrong.

Had a feeling back in November...

Hope they all land on there feet and do a podcast or something. Any chance giant bomb would rescue the Bosman?

jett

D-Member
I don't understand how can the owners be such assholes that they can't bother to tell them ahead of time.

Yukinari

Pop Fiction is one of the best shows ever made, narrated by one of the best voices on youtube. Even better than anybody who narrates for DYKG.

I hope these guys start a Patreon or something. I'm gonna miss all of their content. GT Time, Mandatory Updates, fucking final bets. Huber's passion, Moore's weirdness but passion for games all the same.

The_R3medy_

Neo Member
You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

Top Bottom