• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

GT used to be the best. It had the best forums and it had some of the best video content on the internet. Can't believe it's shutting down. I hope brandon jones and crew starts something new. If they don't then I'm sure they'll all land on their feet. Great people.

DMiz

This is crazy. I felt like my heart dropped when I read the thread title.

I've been visiting GameTrailers for years, but the last couple - where the crew has been driving the content with a personality-based focused - has been the finest that the site's ever put out.

Everybody is mentioning GT Time, Huber Hype, Final Bosman, and Man-Ups, and for good reason - they're fantastic shows. But let's also not forget the absolutely crazy E3 reaction video and the FFVII playthrough that has spawned some memes of their own for us fans.

If you haven't watched these shows, streams, or moments yet - do it. Even if it won't save the site, it's sad to think that the videos this tight team has had to put together with a skeleton crew will no longer be made.

Jones, Blood, Bosman, Huber, Ben, Brad, Ian, Matt, Don - you guys did great work. Your fans, myself included, will miss GT the way you've tried to put it forward.

wiibomb

I can't believe it... where is bosman going??? Where am I gonna watch those awesome podcasts from GT Time???

I'm really sad of this, I've been watching GT since years ago and now it is like a part of my daily watch is taken away...

200_s.gif

This is huge. What is happening....wow....I really hope everyone finds a new job

NateDog

Damn this really sucks, it's the only site I go to for E3 and their coverage was always great. Hope they all find work soon enough, thanks for all the great work guys.

RexNovis

Banned
What?!?!? Uggh this fucking sucks so much. I adore every single one of them and watch all their content. I can't believe this. It is so unexpected. Didnt they just move to a new office? What the hell happened?!?!

legacyzero

Banned
Nooooooooo!! I love GT :(

QUICK, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE FINAL FANTASY RETROSPECTIVES.

THEY"RE FUCKING GOLDEEEEEEEN

EDIT: HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THEM ?!

Breakage

What will happen to their YouTube content?
Stayed away from GT for several years - recently returned and discovered the Final Bosman show and it's great.

Camisado

This is really shitty news, such a great website that I visited thousands of times over the years. The only real review site that cared about JUST the quality of the game and never got caught up in any of the politics around them. (At least in reviews)

The only good thing I could wish for from this would be to see Bosman go to Giant Bomb and add some of that enthusiasm he has back into those lot.

I spent hours watching retrospectives, avgn, top tens, the screw attack stuff, the reviews, and epic battle axe there in my younger years. This is a fucking sad day, game trailers was my most trusted review to this day after acg. I wish brandon and the guys the best of luck. Theres such talent there, i know they will all do great things.

Xemnas89

GT was really the only video game site I went to. I liked everyone that worked there and always tuned in to the streams and watched all their content. First found out about them when they were doing the zelda retrospective back in 2006 and stuck with them ever since. I wish they could somehow all come together like the giantbomb guys did and make a new site.

My favorite GT video, and video review in general:

Super Mario Galaxy GT review

Just fantastically executed.

I've always wondered who did the voice over for this review because it's clearly not Brandon

I seriously almost died when I saw this. I started to follow the GT crew since E3 and have loved it ever since. I truly hope that they start a Patreon.

Fuuuuuuu, why? I loved these fools. Now where am I gonna get this kinda coverage. And oh shit, where am I going to get my unjaded E3 fill?

benzy

I remember when they gave points for watching their videos and you could build it up to get a new game. Managed to get MGS4 back then thanks to GT.

RDreamer

Damn, GT was my favorite gaming site, especially for reviews. Their videos always seemed the best. I don't really like reading a review. I want to see the game in action, and other sites feel like the video is an afterthought whereas GT really did it right. I'll miss 'em.

El-Suave

So sad, this was the last gaming site I visited regularly. I hope everybody lands on their feet and finds new jobs in the games media. They have gotten so much better while the times have gotten worse for the site apparently. Es tut mir leid. :(

Gartooth

Noooooo! :( GT was my favorite gaming site. (aside from GAF)

They made fantastic original shows like Pop Fiction and Timeline, and also had a great cast of honest and likeable people who just loved video games.

I hope the best for everyone there today and that they land on their feet.

Mikey Jr.

Kinda crazy that this group of people will never be on video together again.

This is surreal.

Patreon? I swear to God, I know its not much, but I will legitimately put in 15 to 20 bucks a month.

Jesus. GameTrailers was the first gaming site I followed way back when. Wish them all the best in their futures.

loved the quality of their video content, and special praise for the Retrospective series. Zelda one was fantastic and meticulously executed.

YouTube maybe?

kennyamr

Literally the worst news in a very long time for me :(
It was my fav gaming group by a loooooong shot.
It's a very sad day indeed.

soultron

Banned
Saw this coming with the seemingly constant downsizing over the past half-decade. Still, it really sucks. GT was definitely my favourite site for video reviews and you could tell they were trying to mix things up to grow their viewership lately, but I don't think it worked, unfortunately.

RIP. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Zonar

I'm going to post all of the shows I loved

• GT Countdown
  • Bonus Round
  • The Final Bosman
  • GT TV
  • GT Reviews
  • GT Pop-Block
  • The Angry Video Game Nerd
  • Pach-Attack!
  • Screwattack's Top Ten
  • Pop-Fiction (AMAZING SHOW)
  • Timeline
  • Mandatory Update
  • Huber Hype

I'm so fucking sad

I was literally watching a gametrailers video when my phone popped the news. This is so sad, I really hope this staff finds someway to stay together I love them all too much. That Sony e3 will never not be the best reaction in Internet history.

Afrikan

was it GameTrailers that released an application program for Windows a LONG TIME AGO for E3?

it allowed you to stream E3 in High Quality.

nothing more nothing less.

I don't remember if GT had their names all over it...but I swear I found out about it on their site.

because GT was one of the main places I went for E3 streams back in the day.

I would legitimately pay for GT content. Like GT Time, Final Bosman etc I'd pay dude. They need to go independent do a Patreon like Kinda Funny. Do something.

inner-G

Banned
Nooooooooo!! I love GT :(

QUICK, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THE FINAL FANTASY RETROSPECTIVES.

THEY"RE FUCKING GOLDEEEEEEEN

EDIT: HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THEM ?!
If it's like most sites, you could use a Firefox extension to download embedded videos

(I downloaded the FF retrospective years ago when they're player had a 'download' option)

Eolz

Really sad stuff. They went through some years where they were not good, but were excellent in the past and recently.
A big shame, they didn't deserve to go like this (nobody does).
If I was in charge, I'd probably hire Brandon Jones on the spot, love his voice heard throughout tons of videos over the years.

I really hope some kind of archive can be made with all their OC but also all the old trailers that are still there. :(

Well this is pretty shitty, and it appears the way it went down is also pretty shitty.

The internet is too big for these voices to stay quiet for too long, so I'm pretty sure those who (thankfully) want to keep making noise will do so at other outlets (or on their own), but the chances of another site replicating the exact harmony those guys had? Pretty fuckin' slim.

It was a good run, GT.

zulux21

so wow.
I'm actually a Mod over on GT and we had no clue this was coming.

Guess I won't get anymore pop fiction :(

-shadow-

Absolutely terrible and sad news. Even if Ian tells us not to be sad I can't help it, been following the site for the last twelve years. I watched my first E3 ('05) using on that site and watched a lot of the user generated content they used to host (remember that?). Sad to see the Year of Dreams be followed up by the Year of Loss! :(

Top Bottom