• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Strike

That's a shame. The writing was on the wall after that buyout and the subsequent layoffs so can't say that I'm too surprised. Good luck to everyone who was still there.

*checks calendar*

nope, it's not April 1st.

Such a sad day, have been following GT for almost a decade. They have the best content and shows. Bosman nooooo

Bishop89

This is horrible news.

They are the only outlet whose reviews actually had any weight with me.

It's there fault though why I stopped going to their site. They fucked up majorly with the shit site redesign.

They should all join Shane's website and come full circle lol.

Brandon's voice needs to be heard!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really bummed too. It was one of the only gaming websites I regularly visited since its inception from the Shane/Marcus days. Probably my favorite video reviews across the entire internet.

I was kind of surprised it continued on as long as it did after the mass layoffs a year or so ago, but given this much time I was hoping they weathered the change.

sn00zer

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

allftw

Neo Member
This is fucking terrible. Almost since their launch GT has been one of the few gaming sites I followed and for the last few years their content was the only gaming related thing I watched thanks to the amazing people there.

So thank you GT crew for everything and I hope that all of you land on your feet and perhaps find a way to keep working together.

Edit: And this

Got my credit card ready to back the FUCK out of a Patreon for these guys.

J-Skee

Nooooo!!!!!!! I've been visiting GameTrailers for over 10 years. Brandon Jones' voice is THE voice of game reviews. OMG, I can't believe this is happening. There has to be another way.

Lorcain

My favorite review site :( Their reviews never steered me wrong. I hope they all land on their feet quickly and we get to benefit from their talent and experience again.

GT will be missed.

Riptwo

My girlfriend and I were watching Huber and Moore debating the merits of Knack when I read the news. This feels like the end of 1up all over again, and it's awful! I really hope they can pull off a Patreon or something.

Bizzquik

Terribly saddened by this news.
I was just settling in to watch their weekday-nightly Twitch stream.

I loved their team. I enjoyed their YouTube vids and how they genuinely rooted for each other - and referenced each other when they weren't around in-stream.

I really thought the warm reaction of sites like GAF to their E3 coverage would be enough to generate views & clicks and keep them moving.

I hate this.

dmr87

An7V5dl.gif

LzHb.png

*Shakes head*

Mikey Jr.

Fuck, they should get ONE MORE WEEK.

Just finish off all their shows on a high note. Finish of Huber Hype, Bosman (lore), GT Live, etc.

RPGCrazied

How? I thought they were just bought by someone? Even they decided to close it down? That's a bummer. I use to watch the video reviews all the time. After that first redesign though, things got dicey.

Good luck to everyone!

[HP]

I visit GT every_single_day for the past 10 years and this news hit me like a fucking baseball bat right between the eyes...

I don't even know what to say, in 20 minutes they'll stream for one last time, make sure you pay your respects: http://www.twitch.tv/GameTrailers

Heartfyre

Thank you all for being supportive for so many years! I'm sure you haven't seen the last of us! Good night and good game.

But you played it and hated it!

I really hope some miracle happens and at least most of the team stick together and make their own thing. There's nothing to replace GT.

Kinda crazy that this group of people will never be on video together again.

This is surreal.

Patreon? I swear to God, I know its not much, but I will legitimately put in 15 to 20 bucks a month.

Calm down.

Shane Satterfield has advertisement free website which you could become a member for 30 dollars a years. I'm guessing more websites will go down that route now.

I'm guessing it's the YouTube/twitch or charging people a yearly fee is the way to go for gaming websites now. Unless you big and established like IGN, Eurogamer and gamespot.

I'll always remember the forums it was my go to forums before I found gaf it's a shame hope all finds new homes fast.

*edit*

Damn it i just realized no more bonus round I fucking loved them around e3

K.Sabot

All of their shows were good...

Fuck man I'm losing a lot of the small portion of good content on the internet all at once...

I've been watching them since 2002, and listening to their podcasts since 2007. Really sad to see them get shut down. I was worried when everyone was leaving, but they still had good content.

I wish them the best of luck on their future endeavors.

I really want Huber and Bosman to start up their own thing. I've never seen a team of people experience true joy more than them during Sony's E3 last year

:(

Just the other day, I was wondering what this year's E3 would bring in terms of surprises and what not, and I returned to seeing Huber just light up with pure excitement when he heard the Shenmue strings. Every time I see that video, it gives me goosebumps to think someone could get so elated from a videogame announcement and reminds me why I love the medium. This is really sad, and I hope these guys land on their feet. I love the chemistry between the guys (that divisive games video was hilarious for that reason), and I especially hope we get the shows back in some form, especially the Final Bosman, Huber Hype, and the E3 Final bets.

What a shame. And they had just moved into some new offices too.

Top Bottom