• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

joms5

This is really shitty. Bloodworth is off on his honeymoon too.
It would be nice to see maybe someone land at Giantbomb. If the chemistry is there anyway.

I love the GT staff. Best of luck to all of them.

I don't know about you gaf but i'm going to be downloading as much off their site as I can before it goes down. Retrospectives here I come!!!!

J2 Cool

I read first few pages, but can't figure it out. Can anyone point me to why they're closing? They seem pretty popular.

Mariolee

NOOOOOOOOO. PLEASE GOD NO.

I relied on GT Time, Hyber Hype, Mandatory Update, and of course The Final Bosman to get me through the week.

Eidjinn

This was my go-to site. I have a pretty similar taste in games.

Now... I don't know who should be my go-to site/youtube channel.

Waiting for news about Kyle and Huber! I hope they create an awesome new youtube channel! (alongside Brandon!)

mitch1971

Gold Member
They only just gave their site a spring clean around a month or so ago. Some higher ups though fuck it, kill it.

Wow so damn crazy.

GameTrailers forums were the very first gaming forums I ever registered for. Met a ton of great people back then and used to love watching all of their original gaming content. Excellent reviews as well. What a shame and they will be missed.

M52B28

Banned
Goodbye, GameTrailers.
:(

It's sad having such a digital and internet based childhood. Places like these just go poof and turn into dust.

Cmagus

I kind of drifted away from the site the last while but this sucks I have a lot of good memories from GT.

They have enough talent that they could probably team up and possibly build something new out of it. Kinda funny , giant bomb all did it there is no reason these guys can't they could really put out some amazing content.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hard to believe people with as much personality and enthusiasm for games as the GT crew won't land on their feet somewhere else in the industry. Even if they get scattered to the winds I can see a patreon-fueled podcast being done as a side thing if fans can show their demand for it. I'd certainly be willing to throw in a few bucks a month for GT time alone.

Mariolee

LzHb.png

*Shakes head*

What the hell

dmr87

In theory they could still do some of their content if they were to start something new, just need enough finanical backing, and a new HQ.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Also...

Now where the fuck am I gonna get good >15 minute game reviews with gameplay footage now?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
... Why? This came out of nowhere

It doesn't seem like they were doing too bad...

And even if they close the site, why can't they become a YouTube content creator like most other sites?

I hope all of their videos are archived somewhere. I don't go to Gametrailers as much as I used to but I'm gonna miss it :(

Cday

Banned
Archiving all The First Fifteens. Not letting those gems get lost. People need to always know how legit Bad Boys: Miami Takedown for the Xbox is.

Again, I'm absolutely devastated. They were the only people who produced gaming content I cared about.

I wish you guys all the best.

negitoro7

Sad times, GT was just about synonymous with gaming for me for so long - required viewing for any game I was considering buying. No other video reviews came close in my eyes. Will pour one out for them :(

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We live in a world where PewDiePie makes millions and GameTrailers goes bust.

Woffls

This is crushing. Full thoughts tomorrow... When it settles in i guess. Fuucckk im gonna miss these guys so much.

ChaosXVI

Damn man...this is absolutely crushing, I loved Final Bosman, I'd wait every week for his videos, and I liked a lot of their other content too even if I wasn't religious about it.

End of a fucking era man, I hope their major talent lands OK. Good luck to you all.

Wow this is a shock. I've been following GT since 2004/2005. Funny enough I just tried to log into my account again on the forum which I've had since 2006 and apparently I was permabanned... I guess old accounts got perma'd, because it certainly wasn't any of the 5 bland comments I made from 2009-2015 lol.

Still what a shock, I used to browse the forums all the time, and I've always followed their awesome videos and reviews. Hopefully their staff can find work quick!

Brinbe

Super shitty
Especially that you spring that on ppl with zero notice. That's a fucking atrocious way to treat your employees

Light Hobo

Neo Member
This sucks - what a stab in the back. GT always had great E3 coverage and Kyle Bosman is golden. Guess it's just really hard to stay relevant and make money covering games professionally these days.

Hope everyone finds a new place soon (possibly together).

Top Bottom