• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

sith23

Neo Member
This just fucking sucks, these guys have had a lot of shit thrown on them and they've been hanging on this situation for more than a year. They moved twice within a year iirc.
I'm fucking bummed, I love everyone at GT and I am super sad to see them go.
Watching the livestream.

KorrZ

Terrible news. I haven't visited the site much in recent years, but there were a good couple years where I was on the site everyday. It was my first real gaming forum and first exposure to real original gaming coverage. Hopefully they land on their feet somewhere together. Hell, pull a Kinda Funny Games I'm sure the guys there have the pull to get a decent head start between Patreon/Youtube ad revenue.

I feel like GT failed to keep up with the times. There's an audience for their videos, they have original content and their brand is strong, we just don't want to access their website.

Reflecting back on it my first big experience on GT was May 24th 11th. Not sure how I got a link to the site but opening it up and seeing "Zelda E3 2K4" with the image of the new Link on one of the 4 header times had me losing my mind. Sitting there waiting for it to buffer and getting to see this, for the time high quality, video was very memorable.

qx3uT6V.png

This will always be GT to me.

WTF :(

This sucks.

And that last E3 was an amazing new high to further build off of too :(

RIP :(

They were THE site to go to for trailers and reviews.

Also loved their Retrospectives, Final Bosman, Pach Attack, and Bonus Round.

I used to download their Bonus Round episode and watch them on the train. Keighley, Pachter, Satterfield, Beer, Bloodworth...

The more I think about it, the more I'm going to miss them.

Yeah.

Sesha

I was really looking forward to another E3 with GT, and to see their reactions to DMC5 when that finally dropped, as well as the inevitable Crash announcement at E3.

GT sleep tight sweet prince.

mujun

What incredibly shitty news!

Huge fan of GT Time and the betting shows.

Love Huber, Bosman, Bloodworth, etc.

Elandyll

Banned
wow.

GT is (was I guess) a mainstay of online reviews, gaming news and various gaming related entertainment. Bossman alone, but Hubert too and the whole team in fact (man, the bets.. The BETS!). The Bloodborne musical was one of the best thing I've ever seen online, gaming related or not.

What was the point of acquiring them, just to shut them down a few months later and do it in such a shady way not informing anyone but a few hours beforehand...

Wow...

Thoughts to all that are being let go, hoping everyone lands on their feet rapidly.

iNvid02

We live in a world where PewDiePie makes millions and GameTrailers goes bust.

i feel they should have adapted to youtube better (dont know if it was them or the parent company's insistence) but i always remember complaints about their video player while other places were putting stuff up elsewhere in addition to their own sites.

it got better recently and they managed to rack up 500k subs, but i cant help but think if they had jumped into youtube with both feet earlier things might have turned out differently

Trago

Gotta be honest, I'm fucking terrified for other gaming websites. What will become of them in five years or so?

taizuke

Fucking sad but i'll support them in whatever they do next. Best people covering the gaming industry.

Wish them the best.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
WAT. NO. NO.

Oh man, this is depressing as fuck.

Damn, I've been watching their game reviews since 2009 on my small ipod touch. Bossman, Huber and GTLive turned me into a fan :(

Tomohawk

I felt like game trailers was getting better and better every month. It's very sad to hear that they're shutting down. I wish all of them the best and hope they do something new together.

Apparently the GT Staff only found out this morning? Such BS.

Anyway thanks for all the content throughout the years. I'm sure you'll all do awesome in the future <3

Just read it on Brandon Jones Twitter. I'm pissed because I go to them for every single video review and Brandon Jones & co. Their content was second to none (retrospectives, GT time, pop fiction, etc). They completed my trifecta of gaming news (GAF, Gametrailers, and Reddit). I really hope all of them land on their feet somewhere. :(

Yeah, I watched and listened to their stuff regularly and speaking of the retrospectives, I still remember the first time I was watching through the great Final Fantasy one that was feeding my hype toward FFXIII (and Versus) before we learned it would take several more years to even get it.

Reflecting back on it my first big experience on GT was May 24th. Not sure how I got a link to the site but opening it up and seeing "Zelda E3 2K4" with the image of the new Link on one of the 4 header times had me losing my mind. Sitting there waiting for it to buffer and getting to see this, for the time high quality, video was very memorable.

qx3uT6V.png

This will always be GT to me.

Holy fuck at Happy Puppy. Now that's a name that I haven;t heard in a long time.

Donuts

Damn. Must be pretty depressing running one final live stream while wondering what will happen next. Hopefully they land on their feet

Sagittal

Banned
Such a huge shame, GT has been around forever too. I hope these guys can continue on a different platform, they work well together.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, they're all laughing and all. ;_;

If there's anything we need to take away from the last 13 years of GameTrailers, it's that we all need to be far more optimistic for games.

They brought that positive energy to the table, and the least we can do for all their hard work is to carry that forward and try to be a bit more excited ourselves.

Top Bottom