• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Josh5890

Pretty soon IGN and Gamespot are going to merge to create, well, best not to think about that.

Seems like where we are headed though.

Sadly I'm not surprised about the possibility about the possibility of this happening one day. Gaming journalism is at a crossroads.

Jeels

Didn't they have some all day meeting a few weeks back on the future of the site...shouldn't this have been decided then?

convo

The user-video section hold some weird nostalgia for me, it had full playthroughs of two Katamari games. Probably the longest videos i watched on the internet at the time. I had a fun time when screwattack and avgn were still there.
Sad about GTTime and Final Bosman, they will hopefully stick together for something else.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Holy wow, nooo
I loved GT
Man...hope they all land on their feet. They were a very entertaining group, and it really felt the loved gaming.

Trago

I'll miss them. GT was the place for gaming related content. Their original programming over the years did a lot to help me love video games even more than I did before I first clicked on that first episode of Invisible Walls those many years ago.

Godspeed GT.

Windam

Scaley member
Goddammit. GT reviews are (usually) so good, and the ability for users to upload their own videos back in the day was pretty sweet. Good night, sweet prince.

;__(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy shit, they're playing GTA3 because it was the first game every captured at GameTrailers.

Bonus Round, Invisible Walls, Pach Attack, Retrospectives, Pop Fiction.

that site had some great stuff over the years.

Pachter has been doing the same show over at SIFTD for months now. The rest of those shows outside of Retrospectives hasn't really been a part of GameTrailers for a long time. Their programming continued to shrink over time.

What I am really going to miss is Final Bets and GT Time. Huber was entertaining to watch as well.

I'd pay a reasonable amount to get access to their shows if it meant them staying together and continuing.

I love what they put out and it makes me sad that they're not gonna be there anymore.

Bakkus

Fuck. I was just returning to their content these last months. Stopped visiting their site after their horrendous redesign like 5 years back, but I was happy when I noticed they put up most of their stuff on youtube. This makes me really sad. From 2006-2011 they were a big part of my life.

I had a strange feeling this was going to occur soon, probably because everything I love dies.

Best crew, best site, they need to pull a giant bomb but it's obviously lots of work ahead.

Devastated.

DeepThroat

Neo Member
i used to be a member of gt. the site really went downhill after the redesign took out alot of features that users loved, me included.
the site was dead to me a long time ago

Angelcurio

Final Bosman is the only gaming show I follow since it was launched, and gametrailers is my goto site to watch game reviews. Watching game reviews without Brandon Jones voice will certainly be missed.

Trago

So what the fuck will happen to all of their original content they produced over the years? Would be a shame if all those videos went away.

Nesther

No way. In the last few months they turned into my favorite group of video game talk hosts. Especially Bosman and Huber.

This is such a shame.

This is just a monumental bummer.

GT Time gets me through an hour or so every week of my lame job and for that I don't know if I can thank them enough for giving me something to look forward to during my work week.

I enjoyed basically all of the personalities and all of their shows, which is obviously a rarity. Gametrailers and Giant Bomb formed a nice yin and yang in the gaming news I seek. Gametrailers for the authentic enthusiasm and knowledge and GB for their curmudgeonly (I swear I mean that as a compliment!) take on video games these days.

I mean, I literally kickstarted Shenmue 3 100% because of Huber's (and the others) contagious hype they had for it. I had and still have basically zero interest in Shenmue 3, but I have absolutely zero regret at all at throwing some $ at something they were that pumped about. It just ain't right with no E3 bets between Bosman and Huber this year.

With that said, I'd be more than willing at throwing some $ towards specifically sponsoring them like I do Giant Bomb. If that's not in the cards, I wish these guys all the luck and I'll be following them when they deservedly get another chance doing something new.

Cmagus

It's crazy how much Youtube dictates things these days.
Well I mean this what people want nowadays. I mean if they got together and started up something using Patreon they would reach thier goals no problem.

Not only that but like the poster above said they all have huge personalities which would only be that much better without having a company dictating stuff behind the scenes.I really hope they group up again and make something happen on their terms.

Brandon has been there since the beginning?

Brandon is/was GT, it's his baby.

Really sad news, all the sites I've loved are gone now: 1UP, CVG and now Gametrailers :(

I've been visiting the site for over a decade now, good luck to all the staff, they all seem like a great bunch of folks.

I fell away from the site after the buyout a little while back, it felt like a major setback just when it was really becoming something special, but it sounds like it eventually found itself again recently. Really sad to see it go. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I used to visit the site a lot back in day but I stopped watching their reviews when they spoiled Fire Emblem Awakening in their reviews and I stopping going to the site all together when they called Sonic's fan delusional for thinking that Colours and Generation were good games.

However I did like Bosman and I hope that he lands on his feet.

I can't say I'm surprised. No one makes money in games media anymore, with the exception of a handful of personalities.

It won't be long until there's no major sites. Just a few Kinda Funny/PewDiePie/Flavor Of The Month places.

Follow the money. It leads away from 'traditional' media.

Get out while you can, whoever' left! It's brutal out there.

Top Bottom