• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

GrayFoxPL

Shit.It was my daily go to site for years.

IhAlmsn.gif

I thought he quit.......

Why is he back?

Patreon! He's making nearly $11,000 a month now thanks to it, so CGR is back in full force as his full time job.

I love KF but sometimes Colin's pessimism just wears on me. This does feel like the death of the positive game coverage.

Yea, Giant Bomb's pessimism is what drove me to GT the past couple years, lol

This news just ruined my day...

This is so true it hurts.

It's definitely hard to swallow. The hype and optimism from GT was something so many other big ticket games coverage sites lacked. :/

Afrodium

Banned
Goddammit. The writing has been on the wall but this sucks. By far my favorite site for content, and GT Time on my Friday commute is the best. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Bosman, please keep making videos.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It sucks. They really grew on me.

Will their content be archived, at least?

Calm down.

Shane Satterfield has advertisement free website which you could become a member for 30 dollars a years. I'm guessing more websites will go down that route now.

I'm guessing it's the YouTube/twitch or charging people a yearly fee is the way to go for gaming websites now. Unless you big and established like IGN, Eurogamer and gamespot.

Is siftd a success then? Haven't heard about it since they launched, but I guess that could be because of the site's closed off nature. (I never saw the appeal myself, but would love to be proven wrong)

zulux21

Ben Moore has stated in the community thread that they only found out hours ago.

ah, I just got home from work and spotted this thread. I am currently talking to the other mods on my steam list. the vast majority of them haven't realized that GT is dead yet.

I am trying to get in contact with the single person I know that works closely enough with the staff that they might have inside information as to why it is closing with no warning, but they haven't responded to me.

Jeels

No more GT Time or Mandatory Update or any of those awesome streams. :( Gametrailers kept my interest in gaming alive...I feel like a part of me is dying.

Hope all the staff can get on their feet.

orochi91

Losing them for E3 bites. Who to watch during that? IGN/Gamespot? No, thanks.

I really don't like giantbomb.

Yea, I'm gonna have to find some small Youtube gaming channel or something.

GB simply isn't an option, I recall them shitting from the heavens on people being ecstatic for FF7R and Shenmue 3; it was beyond obnoxious.

Damn man... just damn.

We knew shit wasn't good when they kept just shifting from place to place but I thought they would find an equilibrium and be able to keep the site moving, if at a smaller scale.

What the fuck changed? Why go though the rigmarole of drawing this out if it was never going to be given a real chance anyway?

Fuck this... Fuck all of this man.

Raxus

God damn it. I loved the people that worked there. It was a long time coming but I hope everyone lands on their feet fine. Shout out to Elise, Brandon, Kyle, Ben, Daniel, Ian and everyone else.

The Lamp

What kind of fucking company tells their employees they are shutting down THAT DAY?

Damn, games journalism is a rough industry.

I loved GT reviews. I turned to them most of the time for a balanced opinion of upcoming games. Will I even be able to access their previous content somehow?

Their E3 2015 reaction was legendary.

iNvid02

GT closing kind of feels like the death of "positive" games media to me.

Almost as if big sites can't get by without being pessimistic as fuck anymore :/

yeah, as much as i enjoy the cynical and acerbic tone of other sites, i can get some of that from gaf too, but gt was like one of the last places to find unbridled joy about video games in a major media site. sometimes you need a bit of that

Heyt

Banned
You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

The truth

Damn this really sucks. GT was one of the few gaming websites I've enjoyed since '06. Hope the staff seek other opportunities soon.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
If they truly knew about this for a while, I'd rather see employees be honest with their fans and do sort of a going away/goodbye podcast or show instead of treating it like another day at the office until the very end. It makes for a very abrupt stop and that really sucks for those who were still sticking around for them. If they didn't know about this beforehand then that's even worse for all parties.

For those of you coming in the thread saying 'I saw this coming ever since Invisible Walls ended', you should at least check out a few of their newer features and GT time podcast from the past year 2015. They did a great job of bouncing back after some of the old crew left and I'd say in the past year 2015 and somewhat before that they were doing really well and had a much better podcast than invisible walls ever could be. Final Bosman was great as well.

I really hope they bounce back again and find another gaming website to go to or start their own. Honestly I could picture some of the staff fitting in at certain companies, but time will tell.

Liamc723

ah, I just got home from work and spotted this thread. I am currently talking to the other mods on my steam list. the vast majority of them haven't realized that GT is dead yet.

I am trying to get in contact with the single person I know that works closely enough with the staff that they might have inside information as to why it is closing with no warning, but they haven't responded to me.

Hopefully you can find out something!

BruceCLea

Banned
They need to do a Patreon. I'd gladly support it. They could bring Damiani back. They already have established shows and great content.

They wouldn't be able to have the same staff numbers. In the beginning.

What the fuck? My heart is broken. :'(

I really hope that they can form some separate thing like GiantBomb did, or maybe through Patreon. Listening to the GT Staff several times a week was seriously one of the major highlights. This is so screwed up. Damn...

Mikey Jr.

You guys wanna know what made GT so great? It's because they were just about the games. No politics, very limited expansion into other mediums like film or comics, and just filled with a group of people who positively loved video games. Their content was amazing, their videos always passionate, and you could feel the love of games ooze out of literally everything they did. You can't fake the reaction that Elyse, Brad, Huber, and Kyle had to The Last Guardian, FFVII, and Shenmue 3. You can't fake the constant enthusiam Ben had when talking about Persona 5. You can't fake the unabashed joy that Brandon had for Disney Infinity. And it'd be impossible for anyone to fake the disdain that Ian Hinick had for anything that wasn't Bloodborne/Dark Souls. (And the sheer managerial prowess of men like Matt Blair and Daniel Bloodworth should not be overlooked, nor should the smooth editing stylings of the man himself: Don Cassanova.)

GT was one of the last bastions of genuine love of games in this industry. They never tried to be edgy by dabbling into politics like so many sites have, and they just kept it focused on why we were all there: the games.

Thank you for everything GT. You were absolutely amazing.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Though I never had a dedicated following to the GT crew, I'd been an regular visitor ever since 2002. I was even a forum member there for a little bit, so this is a total gut-punch to me still.

Solobbos

I'm going to miss GT time, the whole crew and the wonderful chemistry between Huber and Bosman. Hopefully Kyle gets to continue making video content in the future.

All the best to all of those affected, hope everything turns out great.

Drake

The writing has been on the wall for a long time. It's a shame, I always thought they had some of the best game reviews. I am surprised they are closing down right away, I thought they would give a little more notice, but it is what it is. Hopefully everyone over there lands on their feet.

KDC720

WHAT?! Damn, seemed like they were in the middle of a resurgence of sorts too. Been a fan of the site since I was in highschool, which was like 8 years ago. A lot of quality content has been produced at that site over the years, I'm gonna miss it.

There is a lot of talented folks working there that I hope land on their feet. Goodbye GameTrailers, thanks for everything.

Savitar

What kind of fucking company tells their employees they are shutting down THAT DAY?

Damn, games journalism is a rough industry.

I loved GT reviews. I turned to them most of the time for a balanced opinion of upcoming games. Will I even be able to access their previous content somehow?

Their E3 2015 reaction was legendary.

Unfortunately a lot of companies shut down without telling employee's, it's not only a game industry situation. People have lost their life savings thanks to shit like that, see Enron.

Dsyndrome

Only folks I watched on a weekly basis with GT Time, Huber Hype, and Final Bosman. Never could get into GB, their tastes just veered too much from mine. May try KF now.

DNAbro

Incredibly sad to see it go. It was a staple of childhood and the current content was fantastic. I'm going to miss final bets :(

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Unfortunately a lot of companies shut down without telling employee's, it's not only a game industry situation. People have lost their life savings thanks to shit like that, see Enron.

This is crazy.

Top Bottom