• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Mariolee

Ian always made a joke that GT was shut down, and then today when Jones brought them into a meeting Ian made the joke that GT was shut down.

Except this time Jones said, "Yep."

Jeez.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Patreon would work for a sole person like Jim Sterling, or a small group of maybe 3 people(possibly one or two of them would have second jobs), but it would not work for a crew of 10 people or more, guys.

nKLmfN7.gif

Do we know why this happened so suddenly? This is just... :(

legacyzero

Banned
I almost wonder if the GT staff kinda saw this coming. Defy has been shaving jobs and trimming them for a while now.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Been visiting the site since 2003. Sad to see them go. Seemed like it was heading in this direction since the latest move to new corporate overlords. The number of gaming sites I visit on a regular basis will now be down to two: Gamersyde and Giant Bomb. YouTube channels seem to be taking over.

Rogue_Glory

Neo Member
does anyone know if they are doing their own Patreon thing or is this the last of the crew?

incredibly sad to see Gametrailers go down. The Final Bosman was always a highlight of my wednesdays :/

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ian always made a joke that GT was shut down, and then today when Jones brought them into a meeting Ian made the joke that GT was shut down.

Except this time Jones said, "Yep."

Jeez.

Shit. I don't even want to imagine their faces afterwards.

mishakoz

does anyone know if they are doing their own Patreon thing or is this the last of the crew?

incredibly sad to see Gametrailers go down. The Final Bosman was always a highlight of my wednesdays :/

They havent had time to think, they literally found out today. But its going to be hard to keep the crew together, if not impossible.

Skux

What happens to their video archive? Their retrospectives are amazingly well researched, I hope they're still available somewhere.

VanWinkle

Patreon would work for a sole person like Jim Sterling, or a small group of maybe 3 people(possibly one or two of them would have second jobs), but it would not work for a crew of 10 people or more, guys.

Well, I mean, it would be a combination of that and advertising of course. How many people are on Kinda Funny Games?

I don't think most of us are expecting ten or more people, though. It is a bit unrealistic to expect all of Gametrailers to move over of course.

Ragnaros

Banned
Ahh this is such a bummer. Definitely one of my favorite gaming sites. As many have mentioned, their content was top notch. Best video reviews also.

Josh5890

The only big website left that I remember from my teenage years is screw attack (outside of the big ones). I haven't been to SA in years, how is it?

Wilsongt

When they changed their video format, for some reason none of their videos never loaded for me anymore... Their player was shit with Firefox, I guess...

Still, always loved their reviews and Brandon's voice is magical.

Trago

Twitter and YouTube is already it.

My problem with that is that with the shift to YouTube, gaming related content/journalism is less about the industry, and more about the personality consuming what the industry has to offer.

That's not to say lets plays, reaction vids, game streams, and YouTube personalities are complete shit. The problem is that Pewdiepie getting more attention than people and establishments that actually give a shit and are more credible.

Remember I knew GT back in 2004 when the only way to see a videogame trailers was to download, remember downloading from GT one of the first RE4 (after the switch to third person view) and bring amazed, also downloading the TGS snake eater trailer in Japanese, and when I downloaded FFXIII and MGS4 E3 06 trailers in HD a whole night, my PC couldn't even play it without freezing. Then I lurked into the forums for like a year before I register in 07, my first online forum and didn't started posting until 08 I guess. Of the memories.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The worst of all, is that they're gonna split up.

And I love how they all interact with everybody. It's not fair.

Bolivar687

Banned
The site hasn't been what it once was for quite some time but Brandon & Co. did the best they could and managed to pull off something special. I'll never forget when Shane gave Uncharted 2 a 9.3 and it caused this massive meltdown.

If there ever was a crew that deserved a Patreon, this is it.

Oh, no, that's absolutely horrible. GT has been around forever, and impressively managed to keep the quality content up through all of that time. I didn't visit GT regularly (like GB, I had problems with the video player), but I loved their retrospectives, and how passionate everyone was. I hope they find a way to continue working together. Just, wow. This is absolutely shit.

This is killing me...

They were always my go to for reviews, E3 coverage, previews, impressions, Huber and Bosman bets.....

GameTrailers top games of all time. in no order:

• The Last of Us
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Halo 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
These are the only 8 games in 13 years that GT gave a 98, their highest score ever, to.

Edit: Apparently, their highest score ever was GRAW, with 9.9

nib95

Banned
What the...this is genuinely depressing. They're probably my favourite gaming outlet. What horrible news. Thank you Gametrailers for everything you've done, and I genuinely wish the very best to all your great staff. Hope you guys all land on your feet and go on to better and far more prosperous future careers.

:(

Now, please band together using Patreon, or use a venture investment capitalist or something to get something new together!

doorframe

Neo Member
When did the GT forum's die down? My memory may be a bit hazy but I remember in 2008-10 it was extremely busy and popular, in recent years it has been empty.

Dez_

Holy crap! Were they talking about this earlier? This came out of nowhere! I knew things were on a downward spiral last year, but I didn't think it would get worse. Unbelievable, I've really liked how gametrailers handled their reviews. Brandon makes those reviews for me.

sn00zer

They were easily the most representative of what I felt it was like to play games in your mid 20s and now they dont exist.....not sure what this means.

BPoole

Wow, wasn't GT amongst the top 3 biggest sites for gaming news and reviews along with IGN and GameSpot? Business must be tough wtih YouTube and Twitch personalities

Top Bottom