• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

openrob

bosmanendgif0vyqv.gif

KaufLive

Wow, this comes as quite a shock! Kinda makes me sad as well! Haven't visited in a year or so, but before that I checked it daily... Best of luck to the whole crew! And thanks Brandon Jones for being the best voice over I know, you're an inspiration :)

AAK

I legitimately cried during this moment:

K0M7U0C.gif

Thank you so much GT crew for the happy moments. You guys made me smile more times than I can count. Take care and keep being awesome!

Xbudz

They barely had a chance to let the news sink in and here they are going through the motions one last time.

Dem feels. :(

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I mean, it would be a combination of that and advertising of course. How many people are on Kinda Funny Games?

I don't think most of us are expecting ten or more people, though. It is a bit unrealistic to expect all of Gametrailers to move over of course.

Then you'd have people complaining, saying 'what happened to X and why isn't he with you guys on your new patreon?'

It's the problem of having such great personalities and varying opinions on a single gaming outlet. You really feel each loss. It's a small fear of mine when it comes to Giantbomb, but they seem to be doing fine now.

Bolivar687

Banned
GameTrailers top games of all time. in no order:

• The Last of Us
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Bayonetta 2
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Halo 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
These are the only 8 games in 13 years that GT gave a 98, their highest score ever, to.

They gave Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter a 9.9.

FTF

They mentioned Patreon (well said "the P word"), I REALLY hope that happens. I would so chip in for that.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
If there's anything we need to take away from the last 13 years of GameTrailers, it's that we all need to be far more optimistic for games. They brought that positive energy to the table, and the least we can do for all their hard work is to carry that forward and try to be a bit more excited ourselves.
Or they could go Patreon and keep bringing positive energy to the table. I need their positivity in my gaming life.
The problem is that a lot of them need a stable income, and Patreon wouldn't be the best place to turn to for a whole group of professionals.
Maybe as a few individuals for their own channels or whatever would be fine but I cannot see it carrying the crew onwards.
That's something they can figure out. But should really consider. Freaking Kinda Funny is pulling 70k a month for... 4 or 5 people? They seem fine.

Piers

It would be the first thing I'd have Patreon'd. Please. I don't know if I'll be able to finish my DnD listenthrough of them.

The problem is that a lot of them need a stable income, and Patreon wouldn't be the best place to turn to for a whole group of professionals.

Maybe as a few individuals for their own channels or whatever would be fine but I cannot see it carrying the crew onwards.

jond76

Banned
Holy crap! Were they talking about this earlier? This came out of nowhere! I knew things were on a downward spiral last year, but I didn't think it would get worse. Unbelievable, I've really liked how gametrailers handled their reviews. Brandon makes those reviews for me.

On the stream they said they filmed some bits for an fighter stick, all happy and having fun, went to lunch, and then came back to being fired.

Wow, wasn't GT amongst the top 3 biggest sites for gaming news and reviews along with IGN and GameSpot? Business must be tough wtih YouTube and Twitch personalities

I wonder ho much time those sites have left at this point. IGN was offloaded by NewsCorp not so long ago, so I don't know their current standing.

Man it fucking sucks that a group that in general is so positive is exiting the industry. Nearly every single other site thrives off of negativity / controversial headlines. These guys seemed to genuinely be having fun and just enjoying games alot of the time.

Tregard

Soothsayer
They've said on the subject of doing something a la a Patreon: "Today is not the day to figure that out"

Stay tuned I suppose, it isn't being ruled out.

The site hasn't been what it once was for quite some time but Brandon & Co. did the best they could and managed to pull off something special. I'll never forget when Shane gave Uncharted 2 a 9.3 and it caused this massive meltdown.

If there ever was a crew that deserved a Patreon, this is it.

i still remember the sigs of people claming that gt lost all credibility when they gave the story of mgs4 a lessor score than halo 3 and assassin's creed

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Damnit Kyle, you promised a Miyamoto episode. RIP Gametrailers.

rjc571

Banned
I used to be a big fan of Gametrailers around 10 years ago. They covered all of the games that interested me and I would watch a great number of their reviews and previews. In 2007 I watched their preview for Etrian Odyssey, in which they promised something to the effect of "we'll have more coverage coming shortly in our full review". That review never came. This marked the start of a shift in Gametrailers' focus, away from the niche hardcore games that I enjoyed playing in favor of covering mainstream dudebro trash almost exclusively.

After this I still visited the site now and again for a time, but the demographic shift reached its breaking point for me a year later when they neglected to cover the outstanding Wario Land: Shake It for the Wii. It was at this point which I realized that Gametrailers catered exclusively to an audience that was 100% at odds with my gaming tastes, and I have not visited the site since then. Still, RIP Gametrailers.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Damn, this is sad Was my favorite review site. Maybe everyone who worked for GT find a new position elsewhere. Huge shame. I absolutely love both the website, and the reviews.

Cindro

Abysmal way to start the week.

<3 you all, GT crew. Hope you don't let this damper your spirits for too long - you all are too much of a bright spot in the industry to let that happen.

ZoddGutts

Patreon would work for a sole person like Jim Sterling, or a small group of maybe 3 people(possibly one or two of them would have second jobs), but it would not work for a crew of 10 people or more, guys.

Depends how much the Patreon makes. KindaFunnyGames makes 24k per month, enough to support a big crew. RedLetterMedia does about 12K per month.

Last year's sad news was about Iwata's passing, this year's news about Gametrailers closing is just as depressing to me. GT was one of the 1st video game websites I visited back in the day. Their retrospective on Zelda was what caught my eye and I became of fan of since then.

Kyle Bossman's show was awesome, Brandon Jones' soothing narrative style was perfect for the vids. Gonna be missed big time from me! Noooooooooooo....DEFY MEDIA FU!

The worst of all, is that they're gonna split up.

And I love how they all interact with everybody. It's not fair.

Yep. There won't be another GT Time with the moderator Kyle Bosman, joining him the uniquely talented and knowledgeable panel with Brandon Jones, Daniel Bloodworth, Ben Moore/Brad Ellis/Matt Blair and in the booth, Ian Hinck/Don Casanova!

zulux21

Wow, wasn't GT amongst the top 3 biggest sites for gaming news and reviews along with IGN and GameSpot? Business must be tough wtih YouTube and Twitch personalities

it was up there, but it's been falling for a while.

they have been losing to people watching stuff on youtube instead... but the forum over there mostly died when they did a site overhaul removing the private factions (think of it as a mini reddit) and at the same time having horrible issues on the new forums as it would take 10-15 seconds to load any given page/post anything ect which drove most of the people away from the forums.

and twitch and youtube were eating their video streaming stuff.

but still, no warning, no long goodbye, just gone is crazy.

doorframe

Neo Member
just tuned into the twitch stream. they are surprising upbeat for being told only hours ago that they will be let ago. several obviously seem sad.

What a shame. I kept meaning to look in on their content but just kept slipping my mind.

Hopefully everyone manages to recover from this in one form or another.

What have I done?

James93

Its terrible, It was one of the few sites i actually enjoyed.

But its been a long time coming, once deft bought it. They cut 2/3rds of the staff. There have been some slight drops on gt time about problems

Top Bottom