• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Depends how much the Patreon makes. KindaFunnyGames makes 24k per month, enough to support a big crew. RedLetterMedia does about 12K per month.

How big is the KFG crew and how much are they earning individually if you split up those funds? Would you really call that comfortable earnings for each person or just enough? I just don't see GT earning nearly as much, especially since some portion of the fan base still thinks there was a drop in quality after the Invisible Walls split.

it was up there, but it's been falling for a while.

they have been losing to people watching stuff on youtube instead... but the forum over there mostly died when they did a site overhaul removing the private factions (think of it as a mini reddit) and at the same time having horrible issues on the new forums as it would take 10-15 seconds to load any given page/post anything ect which drove most of the people away from the forums.

and twitch and youtube were eating their video streaming stuff.

but still, no warning, no long goodbye, just gone is crazy.

nah forums died much earlier than that, when they removed factions, the forums were just a shell of what they were in 2008

AaronMT86

I remember when they were the first around that actually had high resolution game trailers. They were my go-to back in the day for game footage. In recent years I never visited their site. Shame to see them go though.

mishakoz

Wow, wasn't GT amongst the top 3 biggest sites for gaming news and reviews along with IGN and GameSpot? Business must be tough wtih YouTube and Twitch personalities

They were third in 2012, with IGN at 1 and Gamespot at 2

The adoption of the new video player killed a lot of the website. After that, it was downhill, leading to the sale to Defy, and then today.

Myggen

Wow, wasn't GT amongst the top 3 biggest sites for gaming news and reviews along with IGN and GameSpot? Business must be tough wtih YouTube and Twitch personalities

Not even close. Going by the standard traffic sites like Alexa (which are terrible, but it's all we got) Kotaku and Polygon are much bigger. Giant Bomb, Destructoid and probably a few others too. I'm not sure how big GT was at its peak, but the site itself had become a smaller gaming site. Take those numbers with a grain of salt of course.

I know that I had moved to their YT channel, but doesn't seem like those numbers were big enough to keep them going.

Looks like Defy Media is getting some hatred on Twitter.

Not nearly enough though. They need to be torn up for making such a casual dismissal of gaming reviews history and the branches they own.

Less options for fans and customers are only good for the profiting businesses after all.

Ashtrax

Absolutely devastated.

Even after a massive transition of personalities after Shane & co. left, GT was still a great source for reviews and podcasts. Doing what they did was always something I wanted to do personally... Just such a shame that they weren't able to adapt to the YT / Twitch competition.

Wishing all the team the best of luck in their future endeavors!

After this shutdown, they should all just get together and start a patreon almost like KindaFunny. They have the personalities, they have the editors, and they have the passion. What is stopping them? Unless there aren't enough fans here to give the GT crew a livable wage through patreon...man, what a bummer!

Bluenoser

This is horrible news. I feel like GT put out the best gaming content on the internet and were not rewarded for it. Unfortunately this day and age, you have to cater to the ADD teenagers or you don't survive. These guys were all awesome at what they did, and I know they will all catch on elsewhere. A gaming world without Bosman, Huber, Jones, Bloodworth, and Hinck is not worth living in.

Thewonandonly

Depends how much the Patreon makes. KindaFunnyGames makes 24k per month, enough to support a big crew. RedLetterMedia does about 12K per month.
Holy shit Greg be making bank ;)

Sad to hear this as I literally just started to listen to gttime and I was loving it. Sad to see this happen hope it doesn't happen to ign because I enjoy there podcast a lot even if most gaf doesn't. Sadly it seems like this is the way the industry. Hopefully they land on there feet and I can see the core four who are on gttime start a petreon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How big is the KFG crew and how much are they earning individually if you split up those funds? Would you really call that comfortable earnings for each person or just enough? I just don't see GT earning nearly as much, especially since some portion of the fan base still thinks there was a drop in quality after the Invisible Walls split.

Unless there are more people behind the scenes. 5

Zafir

Man that really sucks. They're one of the few places I watch videos/steams from. (Other being Giant Bomb).

I hope they all fall on their feet. Maybe do something with Patreon or something.

Luke_Wal

Wow. They've always seemed to me like one of those more dated sites that had a place but has now kind of been supplanted, but with how much love they seem to get from Gaf I assumed I was in the minority. This is weird to see. I've only seen a few of their videos, but I could tell they were all really nice. Hope this works out well for them.

A little reassuring that there's a lot of mentioning of "it could still happen" to things like streaming together, Ian and Brad Jolly-Cooperating the entirety of Bloodborne, etc., during their last stream right now.

While there's really no way to know what the future will hold, I'm taking a nice bit of solace in the fact the potential of them continuing working together - be it under another company or funded through Patreon or whatever - isn't off the table.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm saddened by this news :( I thought Defy Media acquiring GT from Viacom would help them in the longterm, seems not.

Best of luck to everyone involved.

Altazor

Very sad news... GT was a good site. Hope the staff can land on their feet, this entire situation is very shitty.

RIP GameTrailers :(

I just woke up just to find this on the front page. How depressing. Huber and Bosman were the main highlights and is always provides legitimate entertainment. I'll definitely support them through Patreon if ever they go that route.

Or they could go Patreon and keep bringing positive energy to the table. I need their positivity in my gaming life.

That's something they can figure out. But should really consider. Freaking Kinda Funny is pulling 70k a month for... 4 or 5 people? They seem fine.

They typically run about $40k/month but January is inflated because they added a ton of rewards and did "telethon" streams to help fund their new animated series just for the month of January.

Just a heads up that they're not actually running $70k a month. Closer to half that.

AleeN634

Man, that sucks. Gametrailers retrospectives and pop up facts were great. Final Bosman was one of my favorite shows to watch during the week. Hopefully everyone can get back on their feet fast.

SnakeEyes

Banned
That GT Live Sony E3 conference was an amazing watch, all the way through.
Came to post this. I still rewatch the Youtube montage video of Huber's reaction to the E3 announcements. This closure really sucks, because I've been watching GT for years now and their reviews were always on point, the Retrospectives were so well researched and presented, and they had some really excellent people both in front of, and behind, the camera.

But most of all, I'll miss Brandon Jones' voice! ;_;

Top Bottom