• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Going through E3 won't be the same without them.

Never forget

AORkYBF.gif

1304601031309179025.gif

KanameYuuki

Their top 10 videos were the only ones I really liked and felt well thought, their timeline videos were so good, same with their reviews, always fair, and they were always my go to for E3 : ( I hope everyone on the staff get new and well paid jobs, they are all so talented and so genuine, one of the few sites without bs going on around them.

DJ88

Damn that's rough.

Even though I never watched GameTrailers, I completely feel for you GT fans. I would feel the same if Giant Bomb ever shut down.

James93

What? No way, they literally only found out hours ago. It's just their way of dealing with the news as best as possible at the moment.

Somehow i doubt that. I think they all knew it was coming. Especially based off how much of the talent has left

Not even close. Going by the standard traffic sites like Alexa (which are terrible, but it's all we got) Kotaku and Polygon are much bigger. Giant Bomb, Destructoid and probably a few others too. I'm not sure how big GT was at its peak, but the site itself had become a smaller gaming site. Take those numbers with a grain of salt of course.

I know that I had moved to their YT channel, but doesn't seem like those numbers were big enough to keep them going.

Polygon....ugh. The way that site still exists while GT closes is just depressing as hell.

Pooya

This sucks. I wonder what will happen to their archives. There are some really cool old stuff on there you can't find elsewhere.

Loxley

Man, I still remember the first time I went to GT - it was right after that first Twilight Princess reveal trailer was released. I can't say I'm surprised this happened, what with the rise of YouTube and Twitch, dedicated gaming video websites like GT were struggling to keep their audience. As good as their more personality-driven content had become over the last two or three years, I think they were just too late to catch onto that trend.

Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

This blows. I just started putting GTTime in my weekly podcast rotation last year. Hope everyone lands on their feet and we can here more from them.

Fitts

What a shame. While I don't care for how the media scores/rates games, I would watch their reviews when I wanted a quick overview of something. Their videos were superb for that.

I'll have to see who was responsible for them and see if they'll continue doing their thing for a different outlet.

We live in a world where PewDiePie makes millions and GameTrailers goes bust.

Right now the market dictates that you make long videos that are quickly produced and frequently published. PewDiePie does that. Sadly Gametrailers makes a lot of short videos that require editing work and are published weekly.

Brandon Jones voice carried me through so many videos. I hope their contents will be archived for us to view again. I enjoyed their many, many series.

Sad days...

I just can't even think. I tweeted to everyone but god damn I just can't...

There is no other site that has brought me so much fun over the years...

The retrospectives
GT time
Invisible Walls (even though I hate Shane)
Timeline
Final Bosman
Huber Hype
Their Top 10s (Fuck they just had a great one too)
Trailer Score
Pop Fiction
Mandatory Update

and so much much more...

God damn Defy for doing this I just can't even think straight right now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO. Brandon was about to tell the story about a movie and the mic got CUT JUST WHEN HE BEGUN. I love it.

He at least told it afterwards.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, they are suggesting to download videos, since they don't know what will happen to them. Shit.

Top Bottom