• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Holy shit. I still remember discovering Otogi back in the day thanks to Gametrailers. I never go there anymore, but it was my go to site for games before I discovered GAF. Sucks to hear...

FTF

I don't want to start an argument here but do not listen to anything this guy says.

Giantbomb's coverage is without a doubt the best coverage of E3 there is. Watch it and you'll never go anywhere else.

Please, the I dislike almost everything, no emotions guys? Yeah, no thanks.

hlhbk

Ever since they updated their media player you can't download videos from their site. Anyone know the easiest way to do this?

I'm really bummed out about this, I used to watch them in some measure every day. They always seemed to just enjoy games and not buy into any awful politics or internet zeitgeist. Kyle Bosman and Mike Huber are my favourite personalities on the video game internet, and I'm really bummed that I won't see them hang out anymore.

They're never gonna finish the super mario rpg playthrough :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodworth got married?! Yaaay! Congrats. And sorry.

joms5

If someone wants to create a new thread dedicated to backin up stuff on GT i would happily contribute. Unfortunately their site is sorta broken when it comes to loading up old links to videos. Trying to get the entire Metal Gear retrospective.

Splendor

No people have gotten my taste in games more than Kyle Bosman and Ben Moore, and the entire GT crew was truly a uniquely knowledgeable and talented panel of people.

caleb1915

Jeez how can any of them maintain that positive attitude in the face of all the content they created and had planned for this year is being tossed out along with their jobs.

Seriously the utmost professionalism, any website, channel, or media content creator should be looking to snatch these guys up. I'm willing to take a guess these are the kind of people that will thrive if more resources are put behind them.

Shenmue

Banned
Guess I'll just be watching the e3 conference direct stream this year. And no I'm not going to watch GB. I can't stand their jaded everything's lame we gotta make a we're too cool for school snarky comment about everything attitude.

Kinyou

Wow, total gut punch. Been visiting the site for years and years. Brandon Jones is basically the review voice for me. GT Time has been my go-to gaming podcast and made me really appreciate everyone on their team.

Don't even really know what to say. I can only wish the best of luck to all of them and hope they land on their feet.

Bloodworth was married 2 days ago. Wow, what fucking awful timing.
Oh wow, only knew he was on holidays :/

joms5

Please, the I dislike almost everything, no emotions guys? Yeah, no thanks.

Clearly you never go to the site. Everyone on the staff had nothing but good things to say about The Witness and even had positive impressions of The Division.

Sorry they don't over hype and fanboy out over announcements which are nothing more than advertisements. Yes that's very beneficial for viewers. There's a difference between veteran/professional critics and everyone else.

FTF

Can they not just go full Youtube like many channels? What was the point of Defy media buying them...

I really hope this happens, if nothing else.

Clearly you never go to the site. Everyone on the staff had nothing but good things to say about The Witness and even had positive impressions of The Division.

Sorry they don't over hype and fanboy out over announcements which are nothing more than advertisements. Yes that's very beneficial for viewers. There's a difference between veteran/professional critics and everyone else.

I was only referring to their most recent E3 coverage, since E3 was what we were talking about. But I'm dropping it now.

Absolutely devastated.

So sorry for the team. Kyle Bosman is my favorite person in the industry so I will follow him wherever he goes, but I was really fond of the rest of the staff too and their chemistry together was a treasure.

Fuck Defy Media for just ending it and firing everyone in one day without any warning. It shocking and shitty for us but I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be for them.

LiK

why can't they just let them go and let them keep their content. i don't want all the video to just disappear.

SVxM

Like many, I am sad for them. I listened to their podcast a few months ago and love their videos.

I hope everyone will find a job soon!

is the site going to be erased or go the G4 way where the site is still there but never updated(well was like that for years until esquire finally erased the site completely)

also to download video you can use a videodownloader app; there's many for nearly every browser out there

dukie85

Is Defy made up of old guys who play Craps and binge Little House on The Prairie all day long? They're fucking horrible -.-

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Fuck Defy Media for just ending it and firing everyone in one day without any warning. It shocking and shitty for us but I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be for them.

Yeah. You can't blame them for not wanting to invest in something that they think is not worth it. But they could have given them more time to try to migrate to something new. Or at least for the individuals to find a new job. Just crazy to fire people with no warning at all.

Uhyve

anyone know how to download videos from the website?

I need to save this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...105527-Ratchet-and-Clank-Retrospective-Part-2
If you're on Chrome.

1. Go to Options thingy at the top right of Chrome.
2. Go to More Tools -> Developer Tools.
3. Click Sources tab.
4. Find embed.gametrailers.com, expand embed, double click <long number>autoplay=1
5. Scroll down to media {
6. Find the version of the video with the highest bitrate and delete all the crap after the question mark.
7. You should be left with something like:
http://wpc.10016.edgecastcdn.net/0010016/gtcomstor/media/videos_root/games/2012/09_sep_2012/sep_18/gt_ratchet_clank_retrospective_part2-3500_kbps.mp4

Edit: Oh wow, the Chrome plugin to allow video embeds on NeoGAF worked with that link, heh.
Edit 2: You can right click and save as once you've opened the video in Chrome.

Bluenoser

Good on Elyse for getting out when she did I guess. Maybe she saw the writing on the wall.

Who the hell bought them? Also, does this mean Geof won't be doing E3 with Justine and Amanda anymore? Kind of sad.

I think Geoff has been independent for quite some time. He still had a mild affiliation with GT, but he essentially had his own company. His E3 coverage probably won't change. Not sure about Amanda though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone has the Stanley Parable review video? They are saying that was a fun review.

Downhome

Just seeing this news, this is horrible. I went to them for their reviews and everything just about before anything else. I don't get why it's just so out of the blue. Not even some sort of drive for funding, anything to keep it going? Just...up and stop it all just on a random Monday? That just flat out sucks, whatever their reasons are.

such a shame - most of them would get so hyped and passionate about their favourite games and even if you didn't agree you couldn't help but feel the passion. I'm a jaded old asshole but even I liked to see them get all hype. Much like how I enjoy Gaf when its gets hype. Its nice to see exuberance now and then instead of doom and gloom. Hope they all get good jobs or go the Kinda Funny route.

Top Bottom