• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

prophecy0

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that was sad. I love this group so much. I need to hurry up and archive as much as I can before Defy decides to delete it, especially all of the Tabletop Adventures and Final Bosman episodes.

Skux

It's over :(

zmfmhQl.png

Just found out. Not much later than them apparently.
Over just like that. Sad for those guys. Hope they land on their feet.

Also. Hope most of their content is saved somehow.

RIP Gametrailers. :( You guys were the best gaming media out there, and I really hope that you're able to come back in some form. It really pisses me off that a company can just get shut down like that. It shouldn't be possible, especially not in the age of Patreon and such.

I used to love their content but felt that they went down hill after Shane Satterfield left. I think the nail hit the coffin though when they started giving Marcus Beer free reign to say and do whatever.

mishakoz

If you're on Chrome.

1. Go to Options thingy at the top right of Chrome.
2. Go to More Tools -> Developer Tools.
3. Click Sources tab.
4. Find embed.gametrailers.com, expand embed, double click <long number>autoplay=1
5. Scroll down to media {
6. Find the version of the video with the highest bitrate and delete all the crap after the question mark.
7. You should be left with something like:
http://wpc.10016.edgecastcdn.net/0010016/gtcomstor/media/videos_root/games/2012/09_sep_2012/sep_18/gt_ratchet_clank_retrospective_part2-3500_kbps.mp4

Edit: Oh wow, the Chrome plugin to allow video embeds on NeoGAF worked with that link, heh.
Edit 2: You can right click and save as once you've opened the video in Chrome.

I love you, thank you so much

Damn that's bad news, been watching their videos for years and quite often I used their reviews as guidance if I was in doubt about a purchase. I hope they all land on their feet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Shit :(

Thanks for everything, Brandon, Blood, Kyle, Brad, Ben, Mike, Ian, Elyse (and I'm sure I'm missing someone). You really brought happiness to my perception of gaming. Helped me through hard times.

Someone posted this in the Twitch chat. Awfully great.

Fucking hell, those idiots at Defy could have given them at least an early warning instead of just turning the lights off from one moment to the next.

So many lost episodes, because of this. Huber Hype, Don's Design Lab, a proper Mandatory Update that was in the works.

FZZ

Banned
GT died for me after they switched to that godforsaken Viacom player

It was then in limbo after they got bought out

And now its back to dead

RIP GT loved IW and Bosman in your later years. Plus top tens, showing me screwattack, and retrospectives were all dope

Mikey Jr.

The worst part about the immediate closing is leaving so many shows just open. Should at least given everyone one last episode to wrap things up.

I usually don't care much when celebrities die, but this does actually feel bad, Gametrailers was like the last good videogame site out there, the only reviews I actually watched and of course Bosman.

This fucking sucks

Damn... Huber and Bosman are probably in the top 3 most entertaining personalities in game journalism. I hope they find something to channel their talent into and make something great. They could easily make it on Youtube/Twitch on their own.

Kinyou

Fucking hell, those idiots at Defy could have given them at least an early warning instead of just turning the lights off from one moment to the next.
Reminds me of the German Game One which also had no time to even react to getting fired.

After that sucker punch they decided to go full independent as RBTV and now have a 24/7 Twitch channel

What do you think of that Brandon? >_> *nudge* *nudge*

the_id

The changing shape of gaming media....from published paper articles, to websites with some videos to now youtube and twitch personalities. The internet changed the way we consumed gaming news and GT tried their best to adapt.

hlhbk

mass downloading the entire gametrailers archive available on youtube. Paid for a program that can download entire channels

Boke1879

The changing shape of gaming media....from published paper articles, to websites with some videos to now youtube and twitch personalities. The internet changed the way we consumed gaming news and GT tried their best to adapt.

Look at how all of that has changed in the last 13 years alone. The landscape changes quickly and you have to adapt.

-shadow-

mass downloading the entire gametrailers archive available on youtube. Paid for a program that can download entire channels
I can't wait to be able to be able to rewatchost of their stuff back. The fact Final Bosman episodes are already lost to time is such a weird idea! :(

Top Bottom