• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

13randO

This is so unreal. I've been watching Gametrailers for years since Geoff was on Reviews on the Run with Victor Lucas on TV. This is just like when many of the amazing GamesRadar staff left. I am almost at a loss for words...

Sad to hear this. Gametrailers was, personally, my favorite mainstream gaming news site. Does anyone know why? Sorry if I over looked it if it was mention already

RiverKwai

This is some sad damn news. One of the Youtube channels I watch pretty faithfully every week. :(

I would back a Patreon. Don't break up the dream team! Final Bosman, Huber Hype, GT Time, Mandatory Update, Trailer Score, and E3 coverage! I need this stuff!

Artdayne

Wow, this is sad. I remember going to their site a decade ago, I think they had the highest quality game trailers at the time and I just stuck around because I liked their reviews.

Damn.

This was the one site where I enjoyed every single person on staff.

I enjoyed getting "nothing" from these guys. Them just ranting and debating was enough for me.

Bosman brought me back to Gametrailers, but the crew made me stay.

GT time was how I knew the weekend had started.

Where am I going to get my bonus bit now, Defy Media?

damn it's sinking in.

WTF?!...

I actually uploaded a video to Gametrailers when it was first coming together. At a time when you actually would AIM the owner of GT and send him the video over the messenger... So this is like losing a good friend. Always been my favorite site.

This kills me.

I'll definitly back a patreon.

Manac0r

I am so gutted right now.. Feel bad for them and the whole crew. But half the content I watched was provided by GT. How many times has Ian got me through a hang over? Or watching Bossman while running late for work..

I wish them all the best and the minute they decide to setup a new venture I'll be right there to show my support

End of a friggin era baby... :(

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Oh man, FUCK news like this and especialy on the morning! :(

631.gif

I've watched GT for like almost 10 years, loved the entire staff and almost everything they're doing and now... now they are gone forever.I can't even describe how sad I am right now.

Best of luck to all of them! Hopefully some of them will launch their own thing on youtube or something, will support it as best as I can.

P.S. #FuckDefyMedia.

Karak

Basically one of the first sites I started watching and continued to watch until the end. Not all the time but most of the time.

Ryuuga

Banned
GT has been the one place where I felt genuine enthusiasm for gaming in the wider media coverage and It's unfortunate to see them go. It grew to be something special and it'll be difficult for another site to take their place because of all the contrasting personalties that made up the make-up of their group. I wish each and all of them current and recent members that left and hope they show up soon doing what they love.

sappyday

No fuck this is not happening. I really hope they start their own thing. It'll be the only thing I pay money for. Please Brandon do if

jackal27

Banned
My life is pain.

I stumbled upon them in like 2002 searching for Wind Waker footage. They changed my whole idea of what the Internet and games could be. I wouldn't love games today if it wasn't for Gametrailers. I just recently fell back in love with them after discovering their excellent new content.

Best memory? When the Twilight Princess premier hit.

Manac0r

I just checked.. I bee watching these guys since 2004.. It's now 2016... Longest relationship I ever had..... Seriously they gonna bounce back right? Some new independent shows?

Would pateon 10/10

Staal

Well this is some pretty bad news to wake up to. I loved their review formats, especially with that voice.
I hope everyone lands somewhere nice.

ogbg

Surely someone will pay these guys to make content. I guess they just got unlucky being in the wrong company at the wrong time but they have a big following and they're very talented at what they do.

GT Reviews archival update: I am currently downloading 2,100 videos onto an external hard drive. I don't know if 2,100 videos is how many that channel has or if that's the limit the program I'm using can do at once, but I will find out in the morning. Once everything is downloaded I will organize them into folders in the same way they are organized into playlists on the channel. This way, in case something happens to the channel, it can be easily organized the same way that it was. I will update about nine hours from now.

J 0 E

That's horrible to hear in the morning :(

GT was my go to source for any gaming video content, hope the best of luck for Brandon and the guys

anyone know "why" they are closing?

BruceCLea

Banned
Playing video games is my number one hobby, but I also find it to be a somewhat isolating experience. I don't have any friends to talk to about games. I'm really the only gamer among my group. We're all getting older and married and moving away.

Games have always been a sanctuary for me to go and be a kid again. In high school and through college I would look forward to the 1Up Show. They were the friends I could communicate with about games. Then it was no more.

For a long time I found no replacement. I liked a few people it IGN...but there was no substitute.

Then GameTrailers came around and really established itself as a unique voice in a such an increasingly nasty and commercial business. Bosman came around and was, to me, a Jon Stewart type for the industry. Funny, weird, poignant.

Huber made me laugh so much with his intense, slow delivery and genuine adulation for video games. Ben and Bloodworth wrote some fantastic reviews (Bloodborne is especially excellent). Elyse was hilarious, smart and deadpan. (Also the only girl in the boy's club).

Ian's slightly nihilistic take on everything was especially hilarious. And, the happy patriarchal figure of the group with the voice that made you think everything would be ok was Jones. Truly a class act and entrepreneur.

So for a couple of years I found my replacement of 1Up. A new group of friends I could listen to and in my mind, talk about games. For that short time it was GameTrailers. Now they're gone. I wish the best for everyone because wherever they go, I'll be sure to follow.

Thanks for all the fun. Goodnight and good game.

200.gif

hlhbk

GT Reviews archival update: I am currently downloading 2,100 videos onto an external hard drive. I don't know if 2,100 videos is how many that channel has or if that's the limit the program I'm using can do at once, but I will find out in the morning. Once everything is downloaded I will organize them into folders in the same way they are organized into playlists on the channel. This way, in case something happens to the channel, it can be easily organized the same way that it was. I will update about nine hours from now.

Is GT reviews ran by gametrailers or a fan?

This is so sad...Gametrailers was honestly my favorite review site. My go to site when deciding to buy games. Tons of great content over the years including bonus round, pach attack, final bosman, etc.

Going to miss it so much...

frizby

I honestly wasn't s broad consumer of GT content, but GT Time had become my favorite gaming podcast and will be sorely missed. To me, it had filled the void that Garnett Lee left for thoughtful but entertaining gaming discussion.

I'm not even sure what to listen to anymore, and I really hope they reassemble in some other venue. Best of luck gang, and I'm really sorry.

Fucking fuck.

Sooo a year or two ago GT sold to a new parent company, and some people got let go.

Now the parent company closed GT now?

As soon as they got bought I figured this was inevitable. Was it Brendan Jones that sold GT?

FTF

Playing video games is my number one hobby, but I also find it to be a somewhat isolating experience. I don't have any friends to talk to about games. I'm really the only gamer among my group. We're all getting older and married and moving away.

Games have always been a sanctuary for me to go and be a kid again. In high school and through college I would look forward to the 1Up Show. They were the friends I could communicate with about games. Then it was no more.

For a long time I found no replacement. I liked a few people it IGN...but there was no substitute.

Then GameTrailers came around and really established itself as a unique voice in a such an increasingly nasty and commercial business. Bosman came around and was, to me, a Jon Stewart type for the industry. Funny, weird, poignant.

Huber made me laugh so much with his intense, slow delivery and genuine adulation for video games. Ben and Bloodworth wrote some fantastic reviews (Bloodborne is especially excellent). Elyse was hilarious, smart and deadpan. (Also the only girl in the boy's club).

Ian's slightly nihilistic take on everything was especially hilarious. And, the happy patriarchal figure of the group with the voice that made you think everything would be ok was Jones. Truly a class act and entrepreneur.

So for a couple of years I found my replacement of 1Up. A new group of friends I could listen to and in my mind, talk about games. For that short time it was GameTrailers. Now they're gone. I wish the best for everyone because wherever they go, I'll be sure to follow.

200.gif

Well said man, great post.

ogbg

200.gif

Well said

Sad to hear about this. Sometime around 2005 I needed a gaming media outlet that wasn't IGN or Gamespot and randomly stumbled onto GT. Their reviews were great, and all the programming that came after had me hooked for many years. Haven't been checking them out a lot recently, but for the better part of the last decade they were my top gaming bookmark.

Hope to see the crew start up something gaming related. Also, I will continue to need Brandon Jones' narration in my life.

Top Bottom