• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

sora87

Has anyone downloaded and backed up their twitch highlights? Some excellent stuff in there that can't be lost. Huber's 13 hour Evil Within stream being one of many.

massoluk

Banned
This is unreal =(
For a long time, they were one of the few sites I checked in every day. Thanks for Retrospective and all the neat video reviews.

Sanke__

Looks like Ian fixed their bloodborne review

I guess it's fitting that I missed their last twitch stream because I was beating the bloodborne dlc

FyreWulff

fitz%2Bdo%2Bsomething.gif

Seriously though, can someone realistically do something about this? There are less and less well known media video game reviewers now.

Feels like Game Informer is next I'm afraid.

Game Informer has the #1 circulation count of any magazine, and it's backed by Gamestop. If GI was going down, Gamestop would be too, and the entire magazine rack at the store would no longer exist.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Where's the entire Invisible Walls archive? Can't seem to find it on Youtube channel and at GTs website there's only the last few videos available... damn.

Yeah the kinda funny crew planned for months and had a plan goin forward, these poor bastards had the building collapse on them with no notion of it coming. They might do something patreon involved but not everyone is cut for that kind of responsibility for one owns livelihood, you live and die by your own doing being funded by fans.

Doing something privately has it's benefits when you're not dealing with an ownership company.

In fact, the building rent was probably killing them and it was something not needed. You can easily re-purpose a room into a green screen soundstage nowadays. carry over the most successful shows. Keep twitch streaming going (as that was something that was really improving) keep the podcast, and look at patreon for extra funding.

GT has built a brand for the past 13 years, not to mention the actual employees themselves have become a brand as well. It would be terrible to just give that all up without considering the possibility of crowd-funding and managing content privately without the need to satisfy an ownership companies expectations or bottom-line. Youtube revenue, twitch revenue, patreon revenue, and not having to deal with office building rent - it could be possible. Consider the best GT content doesn't really require all that much money. The COP (cost of production) for The Final Bosman is basically the time it takes for Kyle to write an episode with a background. Final Bosman, GT Time, Huber Hype, Top Ten's, Man Ups, Reviews, It's all low cost - creative stuff.

AESplusF

I think GT may have been the very first gaming news site I laid eyes on, and the very first that I checked regularly.
I knew things had changed quite dramatically there but I had no idea they were on the verge of going out of business.

Sad day, best wishes to the GT staff.

PranooY

This is sad, I really enjoyed their content.
But not unexpected though, they have been laying down their staff for past 1-2 years. Must have been under tremendous pressure from the parent company.

Really sad to see. I enjoyed an enormous amount of their content for over a decade. There were years where I'd watch every one of their reviews even for stuff I wasn't interested in because the production was so top notch.

Between this and the Daniel Bryan news, two things I've enjoyed for a long time aren't going to be there for entertainment anymore.

Hope the staff lands on their feet and gets to do something they enjoy and have a passion for.

Chiramii

I gotta admit I never watched their shows closely and I was not around during their early years, but I found their E3 coverage fantastic and it was my go to place for news and live broadcasting during E3. This depresses me. :(

Chastten

Banned
Sucks :( I watched quite a bit of their reviews in the past and I liked the PopFiction and Music stuff on their page.

I guess I'm partly to blame though, the ridiculously long commercials while trying to watch a video there made me turn on my adblocker years ago.

IvanJ

Banned
WOW! Woke up to the worst possible news.
GT was THE place that I got my video reviews from, I trusted their opinions (and scores) the most.
I had no idea they were in trouble.

What now? I cringe at the thought that I'll have to watch Gamespot or IGN reviews...

Shang

I just watched the final GTA III stream, and I recommend everyone do the same. Lots of emotion going around, capping GT with a bittersweet vibe.

Lemonheap

Banned
What now? I cringe at the thought that I'll have to watch Gamespot or IGN reviews...

Videogamer TV.

This is sad, I really enjoyed their content.
But not unexpected though, they have been laying down their staff for past 1-2 years. Must have been under tremendous pressure from the parent company.

Well, last GT Time they were talking about how hard it must be for the "straights" to work with them, apparently it was as hard as they made it out to be.

ryanodonnell

Neo Member
I started frequenting GT on a daily basis around 2009. I have probably visited the site at least every other day since then. Video Reviews. ScrewAttack. Mega 64. Final Bossman. It is gonna be weird to erase `Ctrl + t, g, a, enter` from my muscle memory.

doemaaan

Wow... I'm stunned. I used to go there all the time. Didn't really like the changes made after Shane left, but sad to hear it's completely gone now. I wish them well.

ISee

Wait what? WTF!

I'm very sorry about this. I enjoyed their reviews and shows a lot.
GL to all of you.

Uhyve

I was watching the Youtube playlist of The Final Bosman last night. If it wasn't so sad, it'd almost be funny that we'll never get a continuation of the Liquid Bosman saga...

I really hope they go the crowd funding route, it broke my heart when the 1UP guys all went their separate (admittedly rather successful) directions.

There was a point in my life not too long ago that GT was my favorite enthusiast media source in video games, but I'll admit I kind of dropped off in the last few years -- really only somewhat kept up with Bosman. I never felt like my waning interest in the site was a result of poor content, just kind of a what felt like a limited scope of content.

Still pretty sad to hear about this. Their timeline series was fantastic, even though it only had a handful of videos, and Bosman was killing it. Hope they all appear in one form or another someplace else.

I really liked their reviews, in particular whoever did the voice over for the videos. I also liked their retrospective series of videos. I think it's a shame we wont get anymore content like that.

Lemonheap

Banned
They seem to have lost a fair few staff this last year too. Please not them as well.
They've been hiring new people too, but they have a very successful patreon unlike GT.

No but do the parent company even share that office space? I assumed they were just talking about other companies that also rent the same building.
Could be, I just thought it could be something like that since I've seen similar stuff happening before however. This was probably some big weird thing that happened since they'd have phased their stuff out at the end of last year rather than just come to a complete halt like this.

Back door shady deals bringing GT down...

Keep the jolly crew together Brandon, you can see the support right in this thread; its a viable option. Start your own site with Patreon and I will personally put £100 to it, and tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of fans will be there too.

Don't let the dream die.

Top Bottom