• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Busaiku

I haven't really used them in the last year, or any other traditional journalists (like IGN, Gamespot, Giant Bomb, etc), but they were definitely my favorite of the bunch from way back.
Still watch Final Bosman every now and then though.

Shame to see them go.

ogbg

Back door shady deals bringing GT down...

Keep the jolly crew together Brandon, you can see the support right in this thread; its a viable option. Start your own site with Patreon and I will personally put £100 to it, and tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of fans will be there too.

Don't let the dream die.

I would pay for that

Eggbok

I think GT may have been the very first gaming news site I laid eyes on, and the very first that I checked regularly.
I knew things had changed quite dramatically there but I had no idea they were on the verge of going out of business.

Sad day, best wishes to the GT staff.

Same here, I started using GameTrailers in 2006, I was 13 holy shit! It was my first forum as well, how I discovered E3 and other things like that. My life was basically G4 Justin.tv and GameTrailers and they're all gone now, this is sad.

Nokterian

A shame and after they were acquired what was it 2 or 3 years ago now and after E3 people were fired? Daniel Kayser,Amanda Mckay for example they made GT along with Geoff Keighley end of a era i wish everyone the best for the future. Also one of the first websites for me i got there with E3 but also the reviews,trailers and off course Angry Video game Nerd.

Lemonheap

Banned
Back door shady deals bringing GT down...

Keep the jolly crew together Brandon, you can see the support right in this thread; its a viable option. Start your own site with Patreon and I will personally put £100 to it, and tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of fans will be there too.

Don't let the dream die.
This can be you, Brandon. This can be you.

rZJwXM2.gif

Lexad

I remember loving Gametrailers reviews years ago when they partnered with G4.

Fell in love with them again after the EPIC reaction to Sony's E3 conference. Been listening to GT Time for 6 months. Very sad to see it go.

Yeah the kinda funny crew planned for months and had a plan goin forward, these poor bastards had the building collapse on them with no notion of it coming. They might do something patreon involved but not everyone is cut for that kind of responsibility for one owns livelihood, you live and die by your own doing being funded by fans.

Even Kinda Funny is having trouble. Since their launch their viewership has tanked, they struggly to hit 30K views on most of their videos now. That would be great numbers for a single person but to run a business on it's not ideal. I'd be surprised if they're still around a year from now if their views don't pick up.

Daggoth

I found GT last year after a certain E3 press conference, have been watching the shows and some of the backlog since. Wonderful crew of people. To see this today ... the writing's been on the wall for a while from what I understand, but it's still depressing as hell.

This post sums it up far better than I can:

Playing video games is my number one hobby, but I also find it to be a somewhat isolating experience. I don't have any friends to talk to about games. I'm really the only gamer among my group. We're all getting older and married and moving away.

Games have always been a sanctuary for me to go and be a kid again. In high school and through college I would look forward to the 1Up Show. They were the friends I could communicate with about games. Then it was no more.

For a long time I found no replacement. I liked a few people it IGN...but there was no substitute.

Then GameTrailers came around and really established itself as a unique voice in a such an increasingly nasty and commercial business. Bosman came around and was, to me, a Jon Stewart type for the industry. Funny, weird, poignant.

Huber made me laugh so much with his intense, slow delivery and genuine adulation for video games. Ben and Bloodworth wrote some fantastic reviews (Bloodborne is especially excellent). Elyse was hilarious, smart and deadpan. (Also the only girl in the boy's club).

Ian's slightly nihilistic take on everything was especially hilarious. And, the happy patriarchal figure of the group with the voice that made you think everything would be ok was Jones. Truly a class act and entrepreneur.

So for a couple of years I found my replacement of 1Up. A new group of friends I could listen to and in my mind, talk about games. For that short time it was GameTrailers. Now they're gone. I wish the best for everyone because wherever they go, I'll be sure to follow.

Thanks for all the fun. Goodnight and good game.

200.gif

PHOTOSHOP

i was addicted to GT Forums and User Movies back in the mid 2000s

One thing that stuck with me about the forum was when Crysis was first announced. Lots of PC vs Consoles threads.

Playing video games is my number one hobby, but I also find it to be a somewhat isolating experience. I don't have any friends to talk to about games. I'm really the only gamer among my group. We're all getting older and married and moving away.

Games have always been a sanctuary for me to go and be a kid again. In high school and through college I would look forward to the 1Up Show. They were the friends I could communicate with about games. Then it was no more.

For a long time I found no replacement. I liked a few people it IGN...but there was no substitute.

Then GameTrailers came around and really established itself as a unique voice in a such an increasingly nasty and commercial business. Bosman came around and was, to me, a Jon Stewart type for the industry. Funny, weird, poignant.

Huber made me laugh so much with his intense, slow delivery and genuine adulation for video games. Ben and Bloodworth wrote some fantastic reviews (Bloodborne is especially excellent). Elyse was hilarious, smart and deadpan. (Also the only girl in the boy's club).

Ian's slightly nihilistic take on everything was especially hilarious. And, the happy patriarchal figure of the group with the voice that made you think everything would be ok was Jones. Truly a class act and entrepreneur.

So for a couple of years I found my replacement of 1Up. A new group of friends I could listen to and in my mind, talk about games. For that short time it was GameTrailers. Now they're gone. I wish the best for everyone because wherever they go, I'll be sure to follow.

Thanks for all the fun. Goodnight and good game.

200.gif

GT was the last gaming site I went to after I discovered GAF. Brandon's voice has behind the only video review voice I'm accustomed to.

Wednesday meant a new Final Bosman. I've watched every episode.

I remember discovering Haloid and Dead Fantasy on GT. HAWP. So much more.

The Zelda timeline. The Kingdom Hearts timeline...

Well over a decade I've watched GT. It was a daily site for me in High School...

A past of my heart had been ripped out. Jeez...Defy what did you do?

Zerox20

Wow glad I orifinally saved what I liked when they offered downloads. I got every retrospective series if we need to upload some where...

Even Kinda Funny is having trouble. Since their launch their viewership has tanked, they struggly to hit 30K views on most of their videos now. That would be great numbers for a single person but to run a business on it's not ideal. I'd be surprised if they're still around a year from now if their views don't pick up.

Wut?

They are making over 800,000 per year on patreon. Youtube revenue, twitch revenue (subscriptions, tips etc.) sponsorships, and merchandising. They are even starting up a full season of their own cartoon series.

If you think about it, GT is a bigger brand than any of them, they create more varied actual media content.

If Brandon Jones started a patreon, it would likely be more successful.

Wut?

They are making over 800,000 per year on patreon. Youtube revenue, twitch revenue (subscriptions, tips etc.) sponsorships, and merchandising. They are even starting up a full season of their own cartoon series.

If you think about it, GT is a bigger brand than any of them, they create more varied actual media content.

If Brandon Jones started a patreon, it would likely be more successful.
I think if they timed it to coincide with E3 in particular they'd get a lot of success, since those reactions GIFs were everywhere last year. Of course, it all depends on what they want to do. All I know is my friends and I now use "vibe" more frequently in our daily conversations and we're all the better for it.

giphy.gif

Fuck everything! >(

God dammit!

I loved GT.

@Brandon, Kyle & co.

DON'T GIVE UP. YOU HAVE A GREAT THING GOING!

Take the time to reflect and organize.
I'm sure Patreon is a viable option for you (just look at Kinda Funny, Jimquisition, etc.).
Really hope we'll see you guys soon!

<3

I loved GT by admit I haven't viewed their site in a couple years. Should of just been honest and said they were in trouble. I would of stopped by more.

It's pretty crazy to see how many of us are in the same boat, it was GT and GAF as our two main stops. My favorite place is now gone. It's strange how a group of people I never met, and will probably never meet, somehow became a jolly group of friends that I could count on bringing me laughs and good feels each day. I'm glad I have plenty of goodness in my regular life, but this still feels like a bit of a blow. I hope the best for all the crew and I guess the best thing I can do is be excited to see them pop up somewhere again, doing something they love. Boy will I miss all the inside jokes and the positive vibes they exuded...

Edit: And thanks to whoever posted a link on how to download videos from their new site a bit earlier. I hadn't been able to download the new Final Bosman episodes since the site-change two months ago. Got that done tonight...feels good to have the complete collection!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Wow they were once huge. Truth be told I barely go there anymore because their quality has been lacking and their forums are terrible. I use to love them but they have been over the hill the past couple of years. Still sad to see it go

Just to put it out there, I will fully support them wherever they end up in. All of them. It is so difficult to garner support and love for each member in your company but they pulled it off. I really hope they do some sort of patreon where i can financially contribute to their content.

Nah, man. Look at their Patreon and tell me they're not doing well.

Haven't visited the site in quite a long time, but I did watch tons of content through it in all the years. I think the last thing I watched was some early episodes of Popfiction.

Personally I stopped following them like 3 years ago when they changed the website, it was stupid and often didn't work. Then they started spoiling games a little too much for me, so there wasn't reason to follow besides Pop Fiction. Anyway during the years they pulled fantastic reviews and innovative shows, overall I'll miss them.

This proper sucks. The GT crew has been awesome these days. Really going to miss their content. Particularly GT Time and the bets shows. Hope they do a Kinda Funny sort of situation or something :(

IX6XBA8.jpg

Once about 6 years ago I was on the front page of GameTrailers and it was one of the crowning moments of my young life. You were great, guys. Till the very end.

hlhbk

Ok Bonus round is finally done. I have queued up all of the final bossman, Huber hype, and all 400 review videos from the gametrailers main youtube channel. I am about to hit the hay. Once those are done I am done downloading off the main channel. Tomorrow I will check out the gt reviews channel if it's still up.

We can coordinate over the next week or so how to get everything uploaded.

Vachosaurus

Neo Member
GT Time is my favorite podcast! Please guys, tell me you'll get together and make a new youtube channel/ website/ podcast. Keep up the awesome work and we'll keep supporting you!

Putty

Well that's a shame. I enjoyed everything they did in the mid 2000's onwards. Hope all affected find new homes...

Top Bottom