• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Bulby

Urgh, this has ruined my day. GT was getting better and better, and a real celebration of video games. I must have been a regular to that site since 2008/9

dex3108

But that's false equivalence. They each appeal to a specific niche. GT was doing better than ever this year. I hope they can go the Youtube route.

Well i would even like more that Amazon buys them now then that they go separate ways. Amazon has enough money, they own Twitch, they have Gaming Studios group...

And some more:
eye-of-indra_bymbz-2b4l01.png

tumblr_lgxiertaij1qa8apo3v.png

s187385122801p03.png

668893582fd8355665cb2bioyi.png

fybs5su2usxk9.png

gatocarnet4no5e.png

7584683187492263e1970mmosx.png

screenshot_12_07_2015i3o6g.png

bosman3fz8n.png

Thanks!

Rikkun

Any one of you playing "I like this, please do some other video" , "he was the only one who kept the boat floating" etc are probably people who never worked in a team or 12 years old.
And this coming from the wonderful, magical place NeoGAF claims to be is astonishing (not really to me, but you get my point I hope).
Also, I watch some Kinda Funny, and they are working many, many hours a day. They already had some equipment to record, they don't do fancy stuff, just single camera podcasting, 2 podcasts split in 4 parts uploaded daily on YouTube. And even they have a guy who only does editing, because if you think anyone can put up what GT did with only 2-3 people and even the most expensive of cellphones you're delusional - or you don't know what you're talking about.
I think anyone having a job and knowing what a team is should think twice before posting such comments in a place probably monitored by the same guys you talk about, because not only you come out as fundamentally stupid but you also might make someone feel less than what they are.

Oh god, the comments.

The comments.

Well, it's youtube comments, but deep inside you know they're right.

khaaan

That's a shame and a little heart breaking. I haven't visited their site in quite some time and the only thing I sort of watch from them anymore is the Final Bosman but I have a lot of great memories from their site. I remember I used to download a lot of their videos, use some horrible compression tool and put them on my MP3 player so I could watch them during long road trips and commutes.

Busigkatt

Banned
Damn, it feels like these big sites are going under one after one. The two biggest I can remember in recent time is: GameSpy and not Gametrailers. What other sites has bit the dust as of late?

I have been going there for over a decade, loved their coverage but never really knew what was going on behind the scenes.

Anyone has a timeline of major events? I kind of remember that at some point MTV bought them and at some other point I stopped seeing Keighley in videos.... what happened?

1up

Is there anyway we can start archiving the videos now that the site is shutting down? I would hate to lose such great original shows and not have a back up. Backtrack was my favorite show and now it seems like its gone. The Chrono Cross ep and Streets of Rage ep is not backed up anywhere. What can we do here?

Internet Archive didn't save the videos either.

dex3108

More i think it makes more sense that GT crew goes to Amazon/Twitch. Twitch will soon introduce video hosting as far as i remember so GT Shows like Retrospective etc. would be nice push, with GT Crew they will get more hosts for big events like E3, they could create behind scenes videos... We should create hashtag for this to push this idea to Twitch/Amazon :D

I noticed something was up when Screen Junkies launched SJ Plus, while Gametrailers didn't get any noticeable upgrades. Defy went all in with them.

Rephil

i wonder who made the final decision at DEFY.. the guy probably didn't even know the names of the GT crew. i just cant believe this. what a waste of potential! what a sad fucking day! :(

This really hurts. Wow. I first started watching their videos when I found our about a game called Battle Stadium D.O.N. Back when I was in high school, I had never really frequented a site for trailers or reviews, but in that instant after watching that trailer, I knew I found a new home.

Ever since, I have followed almost everything they did, from the Reviews to the Retrospectives, Final Bosman (from episode 1), ect. And everything in between. I hope everyone on the staff lands on their feet, and hopefully find a way to continue their stellar original programming .

Goodbye Gametrailers, it's been a wonderful ride. :'(

sora87

I went to sleep hoping I'd wake up and it'd be some horrible prank or waking nightmare from earlier. Damnit. :(

If anyone could put the GT logo on my avatar too I'd appreciate it, top right might be best

I found this on twitter (Gametrailers is trending atm)

Cax_Fs4UAAEL2wc.jpg

So much truth in that, they really cared about games and this industry and thats what I loved about them the most.

Damn.
In the stormy sea of the internet GT Time felt like home. My only wish is that somehow they'll find something new all together.

Future

Things like kotaku and forums like Reddit and GAF killing gametrailers probably. I actually only ever went to the site directly for E3 conferences. Links on here or kotaku almost never link to gametrailers for a trailer or preview

just watching the archive f the last stream atm, and they dont directly say this but it sounds like they were expecting gt to close down for a while now.

What a shame to see GT fall apart like this. If just subscribed to their YouTube channel (a game they started playing far too late), as their reviews had always been done in a style I appreciated, were pretty balanced and well argued, and had that amazing VO.

I was starting to get into their other output too. For an arm of a larger entertainment group, they offered content they might have had a tendency to overhype matters on occasion, but it was generally solid, reliable, and most importantly didn't feel fake, and had warmth behind it.

I hope the group manage to salvage something to continue to work together.

IceMarker

Probably mentioned more than once in the thread, but I am going to miss Brandon Jones voice and I hope he finds another spotlight to shine in soon.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I havent really cared for the site since the Invisible Walls-days, when they still had guys like Satterfield and Stevens, but of course very sad to see them go. And very surprised! When they also cooperated with Screwattack for the Nerd-stuff, Video Game Vault and Top 10s they used to have tons of content, and I would guess they must have had great traffic numbers. Especially during E3 when they without question had the best coverage (well untill Treehouse Live at least). Good luck to all of them, but especially Bloodworth who was the only guy left I really cared for. Hope they all land on their feet. RIP.

Top Bottom