• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

jennetics

Found out yesterday night...super bummer. I grew up with those guys during my freshman college year, earning GTD and writing blog posts. Super great times with them.

some more:
9hmntaf2k4jva.png

ejgqsxz2w0jlv.png

jnz6azl8ckck.png

mrguybrush295_450_larzcjg2.png

t0dosnv2k8kxg.png

x2pujnf.png

yospstfu2wlkli.png
Excellent, thanks.

I just saw Brandon Jones's heart to heart from the stream last night. I really feel for him and the rest of the crew. I hope they all manage to land on their feet.

Rndm

I am so sad. Actually shocked at the moment because I just heard the news as soon as I came home. It's.. wow. I've been watching GT for sucha long time, I loved the people there, past and present and they were my go-to site each and every day. It's such a shame.

I hope they'll all find a nice new place to be at and to do their things, hopefully together. And now it's time for me to see how this all went down and if some already found a new job, maybe even as a crew. And I'll have to find out why it happened so quickly without notice really (I mean I could guess something was going on when DEFY kept relocating them into smaller offices and whatnot). They did know earlier that GT was going to end? Edit: Ok, watching last nights twitch stream now and they didn't. Way to go DEFY, way to go.

Well this comment is all over the place since my mind is right now.

Cheers GT, you might not be coming back from this one but damn we had such an amazing time. I will never forget that and I am thankful to everyone who ever worked at GT.

Sadist

End of an era.

Not a fan or something, but I did watch their vids from time to time, plus their E3 streams were great. Welp.

killroy87

Man, I woke up and thought about all the awesome content that won't exist anymore and got super sad. GT has a bit of a slump in the year or so after the post-Satterfield restructuring, but the past year of the site has been incredible. They really carved out a good niche for themselves by focusing on personality-driven content.

They'll all find work, I'm sure, but knowing this group won't be together anymore straight up sucks.

sora87

Man, I woke up and thought about all the awesome content that won't exist anymore and got super sad. GT has a bit of a slump in the year or so after the post-Satterfield restructuring, but the past year of the site has been incredible. They really carved out a good niche for themselves by focusing on personality-driven content.

They'll all find work, I'm sure, but knowing this group won't be together anymore straight up sucks.

Let's hope most of them stick together, it should be a "you want one of us, you take all of us" deal. Hopefully.

Bossti

Neo Member
Just finished watching the final stream. Luckily I finished writing the shaders for our new project because the ending of the stream crushed me. I know this will hopefully not be the last time we see those guys who are nothing but awesome and likeable, but damn this year's E3 might actually suck even with great game announcements. It will be hard to not automatically check GameTrailers every now and then only to remember "Oh yeah... shit" :-(((

Comet

This news absolutely kills me. From Brandon, Keighly, Bosman, Pachter (lol I like him), Bloodworth, Damiani, Elyse and Ian, Ryan, Huber, hell even Marcus Beer - I enjoyed the lot so much. I was a GT-faithful for over a decade.

I sincerely hope the gang rallies and creates something new, hopefully this time without the ominous presence of big money corporation hovering around them.

Zleilndka

I don't post often at all, but this was one of those sites I was still keeping up with even after 13+ years. Definitely seemed sudden. I wish they had a subscription of some sort on their site, would have definitely subscribed. They will be sincerely missed.

Good luck to them. Hopefully some of them will land together. They worked so well with each other!

I will always remember the final 9 mins or so of this video: https://youtu.be/6xFAHDc3LrQ

Gaz_RB

I still don't understand why they'd just say "fuck it all". Like do some downsizing...change your strategy, don't nuke from orbit. There's obviously some value in the GT names and properties. Seems stupid to just cut it all off. Hope we learn more about this.

I still don't understand why they'd just say "fuck it all". Like do some downsizing...change your strategy, don't nuke from orbit. There's obviously some value in the GT names and properties. Seems stupid to just cut it all off. Hope we learn more about this.
Honestly, I think Defy just sank too much money into updating the player, converting some of the old videos, and other costs to get much of a return out of GT, especially since everyone watched their videos on Youtube. They couldn't get much, if any, ad revenue out of the site that way.

I'm gonna miss these guys so much. Really enjoyed the Invisible Walls podcast when Shane Satterfield and Marcus Beer were still doing it together.

I don't get how someone could miss the satterfield-beer-patcher era. This last crew was and will remain the only GT-worthy crew that ever graced that site. Stick together, guys, keep dreamin'...

velociraptor

Gametrailers is closing down? WTF

This was the only site I'd ever use when it game to game trailers and their E3 coverage was second to none.

I'm in disbelief.

Is there any reason behind the closure?

Haunted

They've been continually downsizing for years (ever since the Defy acquisition in 2014), there was a skeleton crew remaining at the end.

It's strange there's no notice on the site. If you just go to gametrailers.com daily and are disconnected from places like Twitter or NeoGAF, you'd have no way of knowing.

Rndm

Does anyone think that a "Kinda Funny Games"-concept could work for the GT crew?

I bet it's a huge investment but I think they have a good audience and I for myself would totally be behind this. I mean unlike many other sites but similar to Kinda Funny their content is very much driven by their personalities. Many sites don't really have a soul but that is really what makes GT GT and Kinda Funny Kinda Funny. I know, seems like a desperate suggestion to not lose GT completely, but I mean it could work.. maybe?!..

LiK

It's strange there's no notice on the site. If you just go to gametrailers.com daily and are disconnected from places like Twitter or NeoGAF, you'd have no way of knowing.

yea, and they said their keycards are already disconnected so they have nothing to do with the site anymore. this is all Defy and they don't even bother to do a goodbye message on the site.

boyshine

GT Time was one of the last good game podcasts worth watching. Best wishes to everyone, and thanks for many years of being the go-to site for both trailers and reviews.

gazele

Banned
This really is the worst news

If they want to I hope they do a patreon

Kinda Funny has shown you can be successful with that model

nowai

yea, and they said their keycards are already disconnected so they have nothing to do with the site anymore. this is all Defy and they don't even bother to do a goodbye message on the site.

Wow, that is shameful and disgusting on Defy's part.

Jesus Christ.

I don't care what anyone says (even GT themselves) about Defy. Fuck 'em. No one should get less than a day's notice for losing their livelihood. Especially someone like Jones who's been there since the beginning. Even other game sites that go under get some sort of goodbye.

Pure absolutely scumbag.

IAmGross

Neo Member

From an industry standpoint their on-site traffic has been steadily (if not drastically decreasing since 2014). That compiled with ad-block, I could imagine that their sales team was having a really hard time generating any significant revenue for the company. Once you hit that point of no return, where it becomes difficult to honor salary or benefits -- the company is no longer sustainable (especially to a network). I think a lot of our peers ignore the resources necessary to maintaining an entertainment property of this size. It makes sense to me that they would have to shut it down after a potential ad-revenue decrease of that caliber.

That's too bad, I haven't used the site often in recent times but it was the first gaming site I visited regularly for reviews and such. Enjoyed watching their E3 coverage over the years as well.

Neuro

Joystiq -Dead

1up-Dead

GT -Dead

Gamespy -Dead

CVG - Dead

That pretty much puts a death knell to my childhood...After all the magazines, I guess it is time to say goodbye to websites as well...

I'd reckon Kotaku and DToid would be next on the chopping block... :(

LiK

Joystiq -Dead

1up-Dead

GT -Dead

Gamespy -Dead

CVG - Dead

That pretty much puts a death knell to my childhood...After all the magazines, I guess it is time to say goodbye to websites as well...

Kotaku seems fine but i think Dtoid is next.

Joystiq -Dead

1up-Dead

GT -Dead

Gamespy -Dead

CVG - Dead

If it makes you feel better I doubt Kotaku is leaving. They do pretty well for themselves.

Destructoid is likely, that's not a website you hear about too much, especially after Jim left. Kotaku I would imagine is probably fairly cheap to run since most of their writers work from home and maintenance for the site would be done the same as all the Gawker sites. Their audience seems pretty big.

Very sad news. I loved GT. They had the best content and by far the best personalities of all the Internet gaming sites. I really enjoyed their content and will miss them. I watched them so regularly they feel like real life friends. I hope they land on their feet.

crimilde

Banned
Does anyone think that a "Kinda Funny Games"-concept could work for the GT crew?

I'm not sure what the cost of living is in LA and how much money they would initially need to set up, like buy equipment and such. They're around 9 people at the moment, right?

In the end it all depends on how many initial subscribers they'd get, and how many of them carry on to the next couple of months at least, to insure a stable income. But I believe they would be successful.

This is terrible news! I listen/watch their videos every day while I'm at work. Their reviews are the only ones I trust because I know how much passion they have for games. GT Time, Final Bosman, etc... I looked forward to them every week. I feel like I've lost friends today.

I just hope they can begin something new together like Kinda Funny... or better yet... join Kinda Funny. Kyle and Huber with Greg and Colin? Yes, please.

image.php

Top Bottom