• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

legacyzero

Banned
falloutovoqw.png

:)
Excellent lol

Thank you! Ill put it up when I get home

KRaZyAmmo

Will add an gt logo to my avatar as soon as i can get home. I felt like i lost a super cool best friend. I couldn't stop thinking about even during sleep.

TK-421

I hope Defy doesn't own "The Final Bosman".. I'd subscribe to Kyle's channel to continue watching. Same with Huber Hype.

roytheone

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE YOU JUST SPOILED GOTY 2015 FOR ME

Woops, sorry about that :(

(but it was probably a good idea if you mentioned that fact in your post somewhere, people will not just assume they will need to spoiler tag GOTY award winners more then a month after they happened).

So just out of curiosity I decided to take a look at the views on the videos uploaded over the past week on GameTrailers, and the numbers are very comparable to Kinda Funny (PS I Love You XOXO being the exception, with the views on that being over double the average).

If they can get the Patreon backing, the YouTube route could be a very viable option. The fact remains I don't think it could sustain the full team though :(

Also know there were some people who watched content on GT's website, so the youtube numbers would have been higher if there wasn't a website taking some of the views away.

LiK

not sure how much money they are spending vs receiving. but having 500+k subs on the main Youtube channel is pretty impressive. even Nostalgia Critic who only has like 350+k does fine for them in terms of revenue. i wonder if they should've just gotten rid of GT site and become a Youtube channel instead. i mean, their GT player was garbage anyway.

Erekiddo

Sites shut down, like Joystiq, but don't go offline.

What makes Gametrailers different? Why are people saving videos?

(Just noticed Joystiq now goes to Engadget. Welp)

mishakoz

Sites shut down, like Joystiq, but don't go offline.

What makes Gametrailers different? Why are people saving videos?

(Just noticed Joystiq now goes to Engadget. Welp)

I think you never know. At any time a suit can see the little line on the budget sheet that says "Gametrailers server maintenance" and decide to cut it unceremoniously. You know he isn't going to care about the legacy of Gametrailers videos that exist on their site.

In other words, better safe than sorry.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't get how someone could miss the satterfield-beer-patcher era.

They guided GameTrailers to its peak popularity with quality, editorial-driven content. I can't emphasize enough how insane the drop off in viewership has been since the change in ownership and format. You can only blame YouTube so much. You might not like the older crew as much as the new one but the numbers speak for themselves.

Does anyone think that a "Kinda Funny Games"-concept could work for the GT crew?

I bet it's a huge investment but I think they have a good audience and I for myself would totally be behind this. I mean unlike many other sites but similar to Kinda Funny their content is very much driven by their personalities. Many sites don't really have a soul but that is really what makes GT GT and Kinda Funny Kinda Funny. I know, seems like a desperate suggestion to not lose GT completely, but I mean it could work.. maybe?!..

I don't know. I have to imagine there's a reason KF ended up running another Playstation podcast after going so many months without one. Maybe there was a post-employment restriction to let IGN have a few months to rebuild Beyond. What I'm trying to say is, I don't know if KF has been successful without PSILYXOXO or if a GT Time successor could drive traffic in a similar level to make it worthwhile.

Drencrom

Jesus Christ.

I don't care what anyone says (even GT themselves) about Defy. Fuck 'em. No one should get less than a day's notice for losing their livelihood. Especially someone like Jones who's been there since the beginning. Even other game sites that go under get some sort of goodbye.

Pure absolutely scumbag.

Yeah, they just wanted to be diplomatic about it but there's no doubt Defy Media fucked them over hard with shutting them down without even a day's notice. Even at one point when they're "commenting" on GTA 3 in their last stream they said "Yeah, we got fucked" and "What's worse; gunshot to the backhead unknowingly or shot in the stomache to bleed out?"

So yeah, Defy Media are scummy assholes that deserve getting shit for how disrespectfully they handled the closure of GT.

KRaZyAmmo

There definitely is, but I think it would be reasonable for any of these guys to want to take a break after being burned so hard, you know?
I wouldn't blame if they did take break. I know they can rebound back refreshed. They are a talented group of people after all. Patreon or something.

Need some gt avatar love

At times like this I wish I was a millionaire. I would so drop $$ to keep these guys working and doing what they love. I spend hours watching their work on twitch and youtube.

I hope Brandon Jones can let them work out of his garage.

Jackpot

Banned
Went to the site daily until they switched their movie player ~4 years ago. Then more and more changes until it was worthless to me.

k4n3

Banned
that last E3 stream was so epic going to miss all these guys hope they stick in gaming media or at least fall on their feet and do youtube./twitch stuff on the side

what was the deal with defy? like didnt they just move buildings was this a long time coming and GT was just the last to know or what?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Can I get a GT'd Avatar please? I'd do it myself but I'm at work. Actually, I'll help when I get back home.
best alternative to GT?
Nope.
NeoGAF, maybe.
First Sessler goes away from gaming, now GT is gone too.... Fuck.... I dont know who to trust in reviews anymore. Sad times.
Come on man. I JUST got over that.
At least I still have Elder Geek.

eloxx

wow... really shocked by this. it was such a great site with the best shows. invisible walls, bonus round, final bosman. memories, memories.

good thing shane got to pursue his own project siftd.net a while back. the gameface show is also very entertaining.

RaidenXZ

Man, so sad about the news. Heard about it the moment it was announced but haven't said anything about it. GT is really what got me heavily involved in video game news. Before then it was just Nintendo Power and my friends discussing it since I was only like 9 when the website started. Literally found out about it maybe a year after the website opened. I remember seeing their E3 coverage and learning about Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and thought these were literally the only guys doing E3 coverage (little do I know I was just watching the best coverage anyway lol). Absolutely loved the website and the people. And all the older guys who were on there (like Geoff Keighley, Daniel Kayser, etc.) to the more recent guys (Huber, Bosman, etc.) have really left an impact on me. Don't even get me started about Brandon Jones lol. I'll never watch another edited video or video review unless he has some involvement in it lol. Gonna miss this website dearly. From visiting the website (and watching that tv show they had on spike) as a 10 year old kid to me graduating from university now, GT has a huge spot in my heart.

Tl;Dr - I'm gonna miss GT so so much.

Think someone can get me one of those GT insignias on my avatar? :p

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is rotten news. GT Retrospectives were on of my favorite piece of video-game related content anywhere. So good they were worthy of archiving.

retros.png

The stopped putting them out regularly, I hope I still have a chance to download any I may have missed.

Comet

Site is still up, im guessing it will take a couple of days to be offline

Without having to pay high overhead such as staff salary, I bet keeping GT up on these days that have high traffic (due to the news) might actually be profitable for a while.

EZMickey

Neo Member
I really hope some of those who are saving their videos make them available to the online community somehow. Some of GT's work is stellar, their GT Retrospective series is probably among the best gaming documentaries out their.

I'm trying to download the one's I like but I certainly won't have enough bandwidth for it all.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Can I get a GT'd avatar please? Thanks in advance!

It's sad to know that this Wednesday there's no Final Bosman. Argh. I feel as if I was left hanging on so many things.

It does bother me to read that people would only pay for some of the staff. They worked as a team, doubt Kyle did the all the filming and editing all by himself. People like Ian, Don and Matt probably helped.

Geoff, you're rich dude, lets work something out.
I know he isn't rich :(

nikeboy94

Really really sad about this. I've been going to that website for years, and it hurts to seem them close down. Man I wish they could've atleast stuck around for this year's E3. I hope we'll see the crew again, but man....I'm really not happy right now.

Thanks for everything GT, much love!

Mikey Jr.

Read bosmans twitter. They are officially out of the building.

Jesus, this is just so sudden. One minute your watching dumb game Monday, next minute gt is gone forever.

Top Bottom