• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

MogCakes

So their investor basically pulled the rug out from them. I hope they all find work quickly. They won't have a problem, they're all talented folks.

Unfortunately, with the explosive popularity of Youtube and its explosion of gaming enthusiast content, it does seem like GT's days were waning. YouTube started a true race to the bottom as the amount of money to be had from YT video views was pennies compared to what GT was making on its videos at its peak (considering all the ad deals and that they saw all that revenue instead of a tiny portion like when doing it off YouTube).

It should also be mentioned that GT had production values out the ass. All the sets, cameras, production, graphics, etc. etc. by far surpassed the production values of the vast, vast majority of the videos YouTube's gaming personalities. It was television-tier quality (hell, a lot of that content actually DID show up on TV. They'd broadcast their E3 shows without missing a beat). But at this point you were having TV-quality production in an era where most of gaming-related videos were streamers, Let's Play'ers, people just talking to their bedroom webcam vlogs, etc.

It's pretty sad. I doubt we'll ever see TV-quality gaming shows like we got from GT. That business model seems to have collapsed :(

I really hope Keighly can work with some portion of the staff in the future, even just for E3.

EDIT: If someone can GT-ify my avatar I'd love that as well :)

Kuksune

Man this made my bad day even worse.. Hope we get to see these jolly good guys soon again!

I want to GT-fy my avatar, if anyone feels like doing it. Would be much appreciated.

Nospaceinmyname

Neo Member
But it's not April 1st yet.....:(

This sucks to hear, i loved all of their original videos like retrospective and pop fiction, i learned a lot of new stuff from games i've played a ton in the past.

You will be missed GT!

Chronoexe

mei2hhr3g.png

edit: updated with some more

Thank you :)

Tookay

This news really bums me out.

They made good content, had the best video reviews of any site, and, most importantly, featured good personalities who were generally pretty upbeat about gaming. It's sad I have to say that, but in a world where most gaming celebs are focused on outrageous shticks, GT's personalities were generally reasonable. Sad to see them go.

I'm not sure what the cost of living is in LA and how much money they would initially need to set up, like buy equipment and such. They're around 9 people at the moment, right?

In the end it all depends on how many initial subscribers they'd get, and how many of them carry on to the next couple of months at least, to insure a stable income. But I believe they would be successful.

It depends on the specific location, but I'd imagine the general cost of living in L.A is much much lower than the cost of living in the Bay Area.

GT had a slow death. Once Geoff left you knew it was bound to happen.

They will be fine though. They love what they do. They should stay together, setup a patreon page and start a channel on Youtube and continue to stream games on twitch. Go the Kinda Funny route.

LoveCake

Who took them over a year / eighteen months ago?

The takeover was a reason why Michael Pachter left from what I remember, well he didn't leave because of the takeover or who took over, but that the 'new owners' didn't want to continue with it.

One issue is the FaceBook problem, I used to help admin & mod a few forums over the years & they got less & less people visiting & joining, one reason is that FaceBook is hoovering everyone up, but when you visit a FaceBook group there is no real interaction between people, it is all just sound-bites.

Anyway a shame for the people at GameTrailers, soon there will only be us left it seems.

Invisible Walls
The Bonus Round
Epic Battlecry
Pach Attack
Tabletop Adventures
GT Top 10's
GT Retrospectives
GT Time
GT Live
Mandatory Update / Nights
Let's All Go To The Trailers
The Final Bosman
Huber Hype

Looking at the original content they put out over the years the folks at GT should be incredibly proud of what they did.

Truly is the end of an era, good luck to the guys and gals in your future endeavours. Be true to yourself and I'm sure things will work themselves out over time.

Though I do demand an E3 2016 Final Bets in someway shape or form :)

Hasney

I'd be surprised if Bosman agress to an interview anyway. He did a couple when he took off and he said he found it awkward.

Honestly can see Geoff Keighley get him a spot on anything he works on until he gets a full time gig. He seems like a hug fan of his.

SkylineRKR

GT was awesome when the 360 generation kicked off. Watching in depth videos for free. Answered more questions than written reviews.

But I rarely looked at their reviews anymore, their player was shitting a lot as was their app. Youtube gaming videos began to improve during this era.

But folks like Huber and Bloodworth were true enthusiasts and I think they will find their place.

This might be good news.
4DzS1lW.png

Yeah, no. They can do better, personally. Don't be part of another's objective. They can genuinely grow and do their own thing. The only benefit they get with partnering up is subscribers. However, they can gain subscribers on their own with ease, with a little boost from the existing fans. Gametrailers has over 500K subscribers, I am sure they can achieve that and some more.

Top Bottom