• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

akileese

How is the archiving going?

I know one person was grabbing absolutely everything and I am (more selfishly) grabbing everything I want. It's not a ton, but probably about 30-50gb worth of content (the playthroughs of FFVII and Shenmue II, retrospectives, a bunch of pop fictions, etc).

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, I loved GameTrailers Retrospective series on Final Fantasy & Metal Gear Solid. I've gotta go download those ASAP!

wiibomb

254topqr.png

thank you

I know one person was grabbing absolutely everything and I am (more selfishly) grabbing everything I want. It's not a ton, but probably about 30-50gb worth of content (the playthroughs of FFVII and Shenmue II, retrospectives, a bunch of pop fictions, etc).
At least you're getting some stuff. As many backups as possible would be great. It's such a nightmare rounding up all the old 1UP stuff, don't want that to happen to GT.

Wow, this sucks. There is literally no other gaming website whose content I follow. I've been watching their content for like 5 years now.

Bittercup

To avoid too much spam I updated the last few avatar requests to my post on the last page.

How is the archiving going?
After twitch started to no longer archive streams for an unlimited time I started downloading some of their playthroughs.

I have old episodes from Dumb Game Monday like Lost and X-Men that weren't saved as highlights or uploaded to youtube.
I hope someone has Huber's Resident Evil streams. I have them since Code Veronica. But the older ones were lost on twitch.

I'm still in disbelief. I've watched so much GT during a week that I would actually have dreams that I'm hanging out with Kyle and Ian in LA.

I really hope they are making plans as I type this to start something new.

Piggus

Really sad times man. Love that they played GTA III on that last stream, though.

GTAIII is the game that really got me interested in seeking out more info about games online. You could say I went from being a "casual" to a "core" gamer I guess, so them playing that in the last stream made it that much more impactful.

rafaelr

awful news. wasn´t aware of GT since the very beginning, but definitely used it for the past 6 or 7 years. really liked all their content, but the retrospectives were especially great.
would be great if they could stay together but that´s probably far-fetched. hope they all land on their feet and keep doing what they love doing!

To avoid too much spam I updated the last few avatar requests to my post on the last page.

After twitch started to no longer archive streams for an unlimited time I started downloading some of their playthroughs.

I have old episodes from Dumb Game Monday like Lost and X-Men that weren't saved as highlights or uploaded to youtube.
I hope someone has Huber's Resident Evil streams. I have them since Code Veronica. But the older ones were lost on twitch.
I was wondering what happened to the Twitch stuff. I'm glad someone got at least some of them!

Rosur

This sucks especially Defy giving them no notice considering they just moved office last month...

Hopefully they land on their feet and continue doing content.

JarlRaven

This is sad to see but I hope this group can find success doing freelance work like Kinda Funny & Jim Sterling have done. Some of my favorite personalities in gaming journalism hope you find your way guys :(

They probably noticed the increased traffic from downloads.

That said, the download speed was nice. 60 GB in no time. Thanks, Defy!

Kadin

Quite a few pages to sift through, is there a theory as to why this happened? I didn't go there very often but it's a site I've known about for a long time. Hope they all find work somewhere else soon.

ZangBa

I'll miss Pop Fiction and their Retrospectives. Honestly, I don't care much about games media, but GT was unique in the fact they produced some high quality content that their competitors have never been able to reach.

Quite a few pages to sift through, is there a theory as to why this happened? I didn't go there very often but it's a site I've known about for a long time. Hope they all find work somewhere else soon.
For all people keep talking about Patreon, it's pretty obvious to think that Defy shut them down because they didn't see profitability in their future. Which doesn't surprise me. The writing has been on the walls for years.

kennyamr

oh man, I've spent the entire morning trying to find a site to replace GT and its AWESOME podcasts/shows but I've ended up re-watching old GT videos on Youtube...
I'm actually re-watching one right now...
The vibe is totally different in other sites/places.
They are all cool and all but it's just not the same.
Man my mornings feel so empty now :/
Now I have nothing to look forward to, nothing to watch during the week D:

UrbanRats

Yeah the theory is they didn't rack in enough cash for defy to care.

Frillen

A shame :(

I haven't visited the site nearly as much as I did some years ago and back in the middle of the 00s, but I will miss them.

Kadin

For all people keep talking about Patreon, it's pretty obvious to think that Defy shut them down because they didn't see profitability in their future. Which doesn't surprise me. The writing has been on the walls for years.

Yeah the theory is they didn't rack in enough cash for defy to care.
Gotcha. Yeah I just read that they started laying people off quickly after they acquired them back in 2014. Terrible.

Panicked for a minute but then remembered I had downloaded the Castlevania retrospective a while back, just in case this ever happened. I still watch that yearly at least; just so well done.

Don't know if the GT team reads mucj of GAF but it was always a blast watching stuff from you guys!

Wish I could do more but I hope things work out alright for you in the GT crew.

when i have nothing to watch, i used to just rewatch bosman. the lore. battle of the bands. the germans. mr. mime. liquid bosman. kojima cameo. girl at the bakery (holla). and so much more.

my tues and wed. will never be the same. nothing can compare to huber/bosman

thanks man

KRaZyAmmo

My Wednesdays and Thursdays are gonna be a lot less bright. I rewatch bosman episodes when I'm bored. Gt time was great for when i wanted to unwind after school.

Top Bottom