• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Lemonheap

Banned
After Totalbiscuit tweet i got a feeling that he might suggest or offer a job at polaris or another game entertainment media that maker owns.

Fun fact kyle bosman was in one of there shows Jesse Cox, TheStrippin, Cinnamon Toast Ken & Kyle Bosman - FriendZone - Polaris.

I recommend to not judge quickly this might turn out good for kyle bosman and maybe the GameTrailers crew.

Please no, god no. Polaris is a shitty network that fucks with content creators, they completely backstabbed Jesse Cox in one of his projects in the past few months. Bosman deserves better. They're almost as bad as Machinima.

AAMARMO

Banned
yiG0xQn.png

-shadow-

I think a lot of things got lost when they transferred to Defy. Backtrack, The Depths, Demon Talk, older Invisible Walls, full Thanks for Playing episodes, other random shows. So much lost.

Seriously how can this be a thing on the internet! It's so weird when you think about it that the place with endless information that a lot of information can get lost forever! :(

Heartfyre

I get a bit sad every time I log into GAF and see this thread title. All those high-profile deaths in January, and the closing of GT is the thing that hits the hardest in 2016.

What am I going to listen to when I'm vacuuming my house this week? GT Time and GT generally has been so integrated into my life.

Yeah, the only worry is archiving videos from their actual website that aren't on YouTube. The archiving of their main YouTube channel is almost completely done according to hlhbk, and I'll have their other channel, GT Reviews, complete later as well. That way if something happens to their YouTube channels for some reason we'll have everything from those. It's just what isn't on those that is trickier.

TheZink

Gonna really miss them. Does anyone know why this happened? I don't have the time to go through the entire thread.

Thanks

Linkyn

There was an IRC group working on downloading all content off the main site. I don't know how that is coming. They posted in here last night. Once I get done with the Youtube channels I will see what I can do for the main site if it's still up.

The problem with the main site is that their new player doesn't let you download, and even with the old player you couldn't download en mass. I know a few of the now former GT staff members were on here last night. If there is anyway to mass download everything on he site please let us know.

You can download off the main site, but you need to go fishing for the source links first, which is a bit of a hassle. Imo the bigger issue is actually finding the videos you're looking for, but if you just carpet download, that shouldn't be an issue.

hlhbk

LOL I just got a call from my ISP asking me if I had been aware I had been downloading content from Youtube for 16 hours since they were concerned about the sudden bandwidth usage spike from my account.

I guess they aren't a fan of mine right now. LOL.

LiK

Just imagine Bosman, Huber, Ian, Ben or any of them actually present a Direct. God that'd be amazing!

I know won't happen, but let me dream! :(

they should do the aftershow stuff. the Treehouse people bore the shit outta me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ource=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#2041b2fb3e1e

Forbes Article

contributor

Also, I really do hope everyone at GT considers all possibilities before joining in with a larger company. I know that's a safer bet, but the prospects of taking the brand they've developed individually and as a whole and doing something with it that is uniquely there's could have returns and benefits that far exceed 'working for another company.' It's a risk, but the biggest success comes from taking those risks. And unlike content creators coming from scratch, they already have a built up audience.

Justinh

Most likely yeah, I can't see Bosman and TB working together as they're completely different in their style and how they work etc.

I bet he wants to see if Bosman wants to come be a guest on TB's Co-optional Podcast.

Well, maybe... He's been there before, I just figured they'd know how to talk to eachother.

I tried to fool myself like "Oh! I'll be in denial, and I'll pretend it hasn't happened until later, but it's not working.

I thought you were supposed to go into shock. I'm not in shock. It fucking hurts!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
LOL I just got a call from my ISP asking me if I had been aware I had been downloading content from Youtube for 16 hours since they were concerned about the sudden bandwidth usage spike from my account.
Like, an actual CALL? Hahaha. Th uploading (if you do it) is gonna make them shit bricks.
Really sad to hear.
It'd be cool if GiantBomb picked one or two of them up.
The spike of positivity would be really entertaining. The slow corrosion of it wouldn't be.

big fake

Holy shit I am devastated by this. GT was awesome, such a great group of individuals. I wish them the best in their endeavours. Just make a YouTube channel or KickStarter for a new website or something!!!!

Also will the archive be available to all to be able view? I really don't think I will have the time to download all their content by channel closing.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I have quite an enormous backlog of Huber Hype and Final Bosman episodes to catch up on, which will dull the sting a bit. But no more E3 bets and over the top reactions is gonna suck. Glad they stuck around long enough to cover the E3 of dreams.

LiK

lol, who's your ISP?

Hi, I went to bed last night and had school in the morning so I haven't been here for the past 1000 posts or so. Any major updates? Looks like some potential offers from Nintendo and TotalBiscuit (who I thought quit Twitter?). Archiving still going well (thanks again for those doing that!). Any more posts from the crew?

I do see some people getting GT Avatars. I would appreciate if somebody could add that on to mine with the Iwata, if that's okay. It feels a little sacrilegious to put a company closing next to an actual loss of life, but I feel like they represented a similar passion and positivity for the industry, but from opposite sides, so it seems somewhat fitting.

Thanks ahead of time, if anybody's able to help me out with that.

Bossti

Neo Member
Hi, I went to bed last night and had school in the morning so I haven't been here for the past 1000 posts or so. Any major updates? Looks like some potential offers from Nintendo and TotalBiscuit (who I thought quit Twitter?). Archiving still going well (thanks again for those doing that!). Any more posts from the crew?

I do see some people getting GT Avatars. I would appreciate if somebody could add that on to mine with the Iwata, if that's okay. It feels a little sacrilegious to put a company closing next to an actual loss of life, but I feel like they represented a similar passion and positivity for the industry, but from opposite sides, so it seems somewhat fitting.

Thanks ahead of time, if anybody's able to help me out with that.
I'd rather had an avatar combining the actual people but I think it's important that no one's really sad about the loss of a company but rather the potential loss of a unique and passionate group dynamic.

I really reall hope that we'll get to see at least 3-4 of them either starting their own thing or joining the same company to do stuff together.

diablogod

Damn still legit bummed about this =(.

I'm eagerly awaiting any positive news to come from this. Maybe a couple of them start a Patreon or something.

Top Bottom