• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

:)
PKUE6xp.png

-shadow-

Yoshida is legit awesome. By far one of the best people in the industry! :)

You have to wonder why Defy acquired them in the first place. Seems to me they never showed any confidence in GameTrailers.

I'm not sure, but I think GameTrailers was part of a deal where they also acquired Smosh Games and other channels/sites. So they probably never wanted them, but they simply got them with the other stuff they did want.

Hasney

You have to wonder why Defy acquired them in the first place. Seems to me they never showed any confidence in GameTrailers.

I mentioned it before, I think it was done with good intentions, but these new media companies are very good at giving big brands facilities to be more professional, but aren't willing to put resources in to grow them and just hope it happens organically.

Someone in the stream chat late last night speculated that it was for the name. Honest Game Trailers began in March 2014, so maybe Defy was worried about a copyright/trademark claim from Viacom at the time.

The problems I see with that theory are:

1) Why design a new site for them and allow them to start bringing over legacy content as recently as last month?
2) Why move them into the new building at all?

Still, it makes a bit of sense considering they never once mentioned GT as one of their properties on their sites. They also never once opened a job posting on the Defy careers page for GT.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I suppose they wanted to get Smosh and the other channels. GT just happened to be with those channels.

Zaru

Sad to see it go, but in recent years there just wasn't much among their offerings that enticed me to visit the site.

I wish they had done more retrospectives, I loved those.

hlhbk

FYI for anyone looking for updates on the downloads of the videos from the main youtube channel. I left for work about an hour ago and we were about 100 videos away from being done. Once that is completed I will see were we stand in comparison to the gt reviews channel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is it selfish for me to want Brad to go back to cutting hair so that i can be a customer and talk games while getting a haircut? :\

Hasney

I don't think Viacom owned Smosh. Im pretty sure it was really just a single purchase. Viacom probably wanted to get rid of GT, and Defy was looking to expand.

Yeah, Smosh was bought by them in 2011 totally separately. Honestly, Viacom had been looking to ship off GT for so long I think it would have just closed earlier if Defy didn't come in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think the best would be for them to create something new, not just join someone else. But what do I know? I'll follow them regardless.

That's cute. I read that in Ian's voice and tone heh.

Yeah, Smosh was bought by them in 2011 totally separately. Honestly, Viacom had been looking to ship off GT for so long I think it would have just closed earlier if Defy didn't come in.

Oh yeah. Well, at least we had more months than we would've had.

sora87

They should have put more faith into them around E3 when they were blowing up, helped them grow and it could have been a different story. Instead they put them in smaller and smaller spaces and seemed to actually cut their budget if anything.

Lettuce

not-like-this.gif

Well this sucks!!!

Always used to enjoy GT reviews.....and i never knew who actually did the voice overs for all the reviews until today, he sounds completely different on streams.

Sad day indeed, guess Gamespots next.

1up

FYI for anyone looking for updates on the downloads of the videos from the main youtube channel. I left for work about an hour ago and we were about 100 videos away from being done. Once that is completed I will see were we stand in comparison to the gt reviews channel.

Anyway you can find the stuff that isnt on youtube? Backtrack isn't there at all.

Would like Backtrack Megaman 2, Streets of Rage, and Chrono Cross.

sappyday

If they do a patreon thing I can only imagine half of them doing it. I feel like Ian, Blair, and Bloodworth will move on to do other things as Ian has always had other things he wanted to pursue and Blair and Blood were never the be on camera type.

I can only see Huber Kyle Ben and Brad starting something together, maybe Jones too.

Who knows. I just hope if they actually do it there is enough support for whoever comes along.

hlhbk

Anyway you can find the stuff that isnt on youtube? Backtrack isn't there at all.

There was an IRC group working on downloading all content off the main site. I don't know how that is coming. They posted in here last night. Once I get done with the Youtube channels I will see what I can do for the main site if it's still up.

The problem with the main site is that their new player doesn't let you download, and even with the old player you couldn't download en mass. I know a few of the now former GT staff members were on here last night. If there is anyway to mass download everything on he site please let us know.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wait what? What? What thing is this to come home to see.

Not a joke? Oh man, fuck.

Nice.

Doing the same.

Looking for everything that wasn´t on youtube on their site is an experience though lol.

Can´t search through the shows tab, cant use the search function, cause worthless. Have to go to videos and then all the way back to page 110 or so and then go through today... On page 80 right now.

Good thing you´re doing it too. Trying to get all the Final Bosman, Daily Questions, Pop Fictions and some random stuff.

There was an IRC group working on downloading all content off the main site. I don't know how that is coming. They posted in here last night. Once I get done with the Youtube channels I will see what I can do for the main site if it's still up.

The problem with the main site is that their new player doesn't let you download, and even with the old player you couldn't download en mass. I know a few of the now former GT staff members were on here last night. If there is anyway to mass download everything on he site please let us know.

I know you´re looking for a mass download thing, but i can download videos with jdownloader, but have to do it video by video.

sora87

If they do a patreon thing I can only imagine half of them doing it. I feel like Ian, Blair, and Bloodworth will move on to do other things as Ian has always had other things he wanted to pursue and Blair and Blood were never the be on camera type.

I can only see Huber Kyle Ben and Brad starting something together, maybe Jones too.

Who knows. I just hope if they actually do it there is enough support for whoever comes along.

I don't think they'd be able to get enough on patreon to support all of them.
But even if it's just a part time thing, I hope and pray some of them do something together.

I think a lot of things got lost when they transferred to Defy. Backtrack, The Depths, Demon Talk, older Invisible Walls, full Thanks for Playing episodes, other random shows. So much lost.

hlhbk

Nice.

Doing the same.

Looking for everything that wasn´t on youtube on their site is an experience though lol.

Can´t search through the shows tab, cant use the search function, cause worthless. Have to go to videos and then all the way back to page 110 or so and then go through today... On page 80 right now.

Good thing you´re doing it too. Trying to get all the Final Bosman, Daily Questions, Pop Fictions and some random stuff.

I know you´re looking for a mass download thing, but i can download videos with jdownloader, but have to do it video by video.

If you do it video by video you will never finish. I know I won't have everything and have paid for mass downloaders for youtube. If we are going to get everything we need to find a way to mass download from the website.

If you do it video by video you will never finish. I know I won't have everything and have paid for mass downloaders for youtube.

Video by Video on gametrailers.com

Jdownloader let´s me download entire playlists at once. Yeah, if i did video by video on youtube i´d go crazy.

CrazyHal

This saddens me greatly.GT made the best and most entertaining video game reviews in the business in my opinion.

God speed to all of you.

Top Bottom