• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

2.2 million subs... why? I can't even. I miss GT so much, today I was thinking about watching their review of PVZ garden warfare 2 8(

351200.jpg

RiverKwai

The website is still up with no message. If you don't follow them on social media or browse gaming forums you would have no idea they shut it down overnight.

If People keep coming to your website and giving you whatever clickthrough revenue they get from people coming to the website, why would Defy ever put up a message telling people that there's no reason to come back?

GTdotcom is only going to get shut off when Defy can figure out something else to put on it that will make more money than doing nothing.

Mikey Jr.

I hope they get Bosman and Ben on the Gamescast and Brandon and Huber on the GoG show one day, that's the dream right there.

I'm not sure Greg likes Bosman. Bosman made fun of them on his show once and Greg called it out.

I think Bosman said something like "kinda funny? Not really" or something to that affect.

OneUh8

I'm not sure Greg likes Bosman. Bosman made fun of them on his show once and Greg called it out.

I think Bosman said something like "kinda funny? Not really" or something to that affect.

Oh wow lol. knowing Bosman he was probably just being funny. Hopefully...

Kensho

Someone here has the first episodes of Mandatory Update that are missing on their youtube channel? I was binge watching The final Bosman and watching Rob Slusser on the first Final Bets made me miss him so much.

Justinh

I'm hurting without my GT reviews

I've caught myself going to gametrailers after seeing stuff on Street Fighter V to watch their review just from habit. Then I get that "Oh. Well shit..." moment. I still haven't really read or watched a review on the game because I get bummed out and lose interest. This has happened a few times, now.

sora87

I've caught myself going to gametrailers after seeing stuff on Street Fighter V to watch their review just from habit. Then I get that "Oh. Well shit..." moment. I still haven't really read or watched a review on the game because I get bummed out and lose interest. This has happened a few times, now.

Yep, I think I'm checked out of game coverage now like reviews and previews, GT were the only good ones at it left. Guess I'll just use Gaf for that stuff.

Auctopus

He's called them out a lot more times than that. I can't stand Greg Miller so I'm all for it.

Dude is wearing a Wu-Tang shirt though. They were cool when I was a lad, back in the day.

One thing I noticed is how Giant Bomb have dropped their own video player and use the youtube one. The viewing figures are pretty low, used to think maybe most visited the site and watched through their own player. I know they have their own fan funding for years.

Hasney

One thing I noticed is how Giant Bomb have dropped their own video player and use the youtube one. The viewing figures are pretty low, used to think maybe most visited the site and watched through their own player. I know they have their own fan funding for years.

They haven't dropped the player? Just checked a few pages and it's their own thing still.

Hasney

Looking at it, if you click the cog on their player, you can pick their player or YouTube so it's the user call. I'm always HTML5.

I went down a hole...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEm4LaeqxFo

Oh right so a browser thing. I guess most still get their own player then.

YT pops up every time for me even for new stuff. For a long time I had to wait a few days for their YT upload due to issues with their own player crashing my browser or sending my ram to max usage but now any new video defaults to YT. I assumed they dropped it.

Myggen

You saying this isn't the youtube player simply embedded? Is this what you get? Looks like the YT player to me.
stIb.jpg

It looks like GB recently went with the player defaulting to YT on the site for people who are not premium members (don't think YT was a choice for non-premium members previously, might be wrong on that one), but they still use their own players too (progressive, streaming and HTML5 for premium members, which they're gonna make available for everyone soon IIRC). Jeff has said that they generally get more views on the site than on YT, or at least as much. The subscription service obviously helps a lot, Jeff has said that they wouldn't have survived without one.

Anyways, hope at least some of the GT crew can get a Patreon going or something like that. GT was the only site I followed that isn't GB.

It looks like GB recently went with the player defaulting to YT on the site for people who are not premium members (don't think YT was a choice for non-premium members previously, might be wrong on that one), but they still use their own players too (progressive, streaming and HTML5 for premium members, which they're gonna make available for everyone soon IIRC). Jeff has said that they generally get more views on the site than on YT, or at least as much. The subscription service obviously helps a lot, Jeff has said that they wouldn't have survived without one.

Anyways, hope at least some of the GT crew can get a Patreon going or something like that. GT was the only site I followed that isn't GB.

Thanks for the info. Yes I've heard Jeff say ad money alone wouldn't keep them going.

With the GT crew, I think they can replicate something like Giant Bomb assuming they really want to. I get the feeling some may want to find their own way or do something else.

What is a surprise is Defy didn't or couldn't sell GT on, even as a going concern. it's brand, history and relationship with the industry is surely worth something even if run on a much lower scale.

Hasney

What is a surprise is Defy didn't or couldn't sell GT on, even as a going concern. it's brand, history and relationship with the industry is surely worth something even if run on a much lower scale.

I think it took Viacom at least a year to find a buyer. Probably felt the cost of keeping it running while trying to sell wasn't worth it.

Myggen

Thanks for the info. Yes I've heard Jeff say ad money alone wouldn't keep them going.

With the GT crew, I think they can replicate something like Giant Bomb assuming they really want to. I get the feeling some may want to find their own way or do something else.

Jeff or Brad said on Tuesday's Bombcast that it took Viacom a long time to find a buyer, so it was probably easier (and maybe cheaper) for Defy just to fire everyone.

Shang

It's not that different, but what Kyle said was more like "I happen to think those guys are less than Kinda Funny, but that's besides the point."

Very slight change, but I think the snark level is important.

Bookman

I am by the way, also a little depressed over GT :( Have watched since the beginning, and I hope to hear something from them (hope the spirit of GT will live on in some form)

Mikey Jr.

It's not that different, but what Kyle said was more like "I happen to think those guys are less than Kinda Funny, but that's besides the point."

Very slight change, but I think the snark level is important.

Yeah, that sounds worse. Not sure why bosman said that.

Zomba13

well he said "he was talking shit about us". doesn't seem he toke it nicely

Lol, the whole point of the segment was saying how much of a "smooth move" it was to go start their own thing and fund it through patreon. He said the same about Jim Sterling leaving the escapist and Patrick Klepek leaving Giant Bomb and going to Kotaku.

If all he took from it was the "less than Kinda Funny" joke then that is actually kinda funny.

Yeah the Kinda Funny thing was really awkward.

It was in their episode about "our favorite gaming journalists" or something. Tim brought up Bosman saying he was great and Greg was basically trying to change the subject. Tim kept bringing it back up again basically making Greg say "I haven't seen his stuff besides the one where he was talking shit about us". Tim kept pushing it saying "uh I don't think he was talking shit, I think he was calling us sellouts" (Kyle wasn't)

It was awkward though. All Bosman says is "If you ask my opinion, I think they're less than Kinda Funny". Classic smug Bosman
he's not wrong, even if I enjoy some KF content

Top Bottom