• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Peagles

Awesome, thanks a lot. I noticed the listing said only 3 remaining, so I bit the bullet.

I'm going to go with a black shell myself.

By the way, how different, in terms of internal space, was the aftermarket shell compared to your original? I know you swapped in your original buttons, but how tough do you think it would be to use your original shell?

You will need wire cutters to trim your original shell, the ones from eBay come pre-trimmed.

---

The older kit I got from leechan didn't require soldering unless you wanted the screen brighter. Is the new one different?

putermcgee

You will need wire cutters to trim your original shell, the ones from eBay come pre-trimmed.
Ah, okay. THe videos I've seen show people trimming some parts from the original casing, so I wasn't sure if this mod was just different.

I was planning on using a dremel tool if I can find mine.

Peagles

What? How did I not know about this...wouldn't have to go through buying an already modded system and hoping they do a proper job -_-

Unless something has changed with the way the ribbon cable is done, it's the same as before. You could always just plug it in without soldering IIRC but the screen is kinda dim. Soldering the extra wire to different points on the motherboard increases the brightness.

prateeko

How hard is it to learn to solder and how expensive is it to buy an appropriate soldering iron and dermal kit? I'm tired to having to try and find a pre-modded unit when I have bitchin' suicune units sitting around

leroidys

I enjoy the conversation here, but I think a GB modding thread would be very interesting, and potentially a lot more informative if someone were to make an OP with a lot of details about sellers, soldering, etc. Just a thought.

Peagles

How hard is it to learn to solder and how expensive is it to buy an appropriate soldering iron and dermal kit? I'm tired to having to try and find a pre-modded unit when I have bitchin' suicune units sitting around

Not too hard, it just takes a bit of practice. My soldering iron cost less than $20 NZD and I use it for all my console modding projects with no worries. I don't have a dremel kit, I just use wire cutters for most trimming jobs, and a step-bit drill for making holes in stuff, so I'm not sure how much they are. Someone else here might be able to advise.

I enjoy the conversation here, but I think a GB modding thread would be very interesting, and potentially a lot more informative if someone were to make an OP with a lot of details about sellers, soldering, etc. Just a thought.

Good idea. I wouldn't mind writing up a guide or thread, but I need to finish my thesis first and it would be way too tempting in terms of procrastination hehe. Remind me in about a month and I'll happily put one together.

putermcgee

What? How did I not know about this...wouldn't have to go through buying an already modded system and hoping they do a proper job -_-
I'm in the same boat. I've soldered before (I installed an Afterburner kit years back on my original GBA, and that included an on/off switch and more soldering), but I just don't have the time or steady hands to do it anymore.

Unless something has changed with the way the ribbon cable is done, it's the same as before. You could always just plug it in without soldering IIRC but the screen is kinda dim. Soldering the extra wire to different points on the motherboard increases the brightness.
That makes sense. However, judging by Qblivion's job (below), I think I'll be fine without the extra juice. I guess I'll decide when I try the mod myself.
hiOFcfx.jpg

If you've never soldered before, it can be tough. It depends on how steady your hands are, if you want to buy a decent iron, and if you're comfortable with tiny electronics. Just know that you can render your GBA useless if you mess up. I think some people, even people in this thread, offer to do the mod for you if you provide the GBA. That way, you can get your Suicune model done up right. Even if you don't have a dremel, many people use knives... I think my dremel was like $20 with a million different bits.

DontBlink

I guess that makes more sense. It would be nice the difference between the two levels if anyone has a picture.

I just picked up an original Gameboy at a thrift shop for $10. I tested it and it works great but there was those decal stickers all over it so i peeled them off. When I did though the one on the screen lens made the lens come off too its not in terrible shape so i want to put it back on, but the problem I'm having is I don't know how to get the glue off that was there. Anyone know a (hopefully easy) way to get it off?

Rich!

I just picked up an original Gameboy at a thrift shop for $10. I tested it and it works great but there was those decal stickers all over it so i peeled them off. When I did though the one on the screen lens made the lens come off too its not in terrible shape so i want to put it back on, but the problem I'm having is I don't know how to get the glue off that was there. Anyone know a (hopefully easy) way to get it off?

Don't bother. Order a replacement lens from ebay. They are dirt cheap, and are as new. You can even get real glass ones.

You don't need to get rid of the glue, but the safest way is to take the console apart and wash it off in a sink.

mltplkxr

I wish I could find one locally. I'm pretty distrusting of a lot of the online sellers on ebay and amazon too, but one of these days i'll just take the plunge. I'm mostly worried about screen condition on a lot of them.

Honestly, the micro has a lot of qualities but it's very uncomfortable to play. Personally, if I was starting a collection, I'd get a modded first gen GBA. They look much more comfortable.

hiOFcfx.jpg

Did my first ever mod. Pretty happy with it. Screen and shell came from Lee Chan on ebay. The shell is obviously a clone and it is most apparent from the battery cover and bottom seam, but otherwise it feels and looks fine. The buttons it came with weren't that great so I stuck with the originals. It also came with both a glass and plastic lens, but the glass one didn't have any adhesive on it. Not sure what kind of glue would work best so I stuck with the plastic one for now which was pre-adhesed.

That screen looks like it came out super nice!
I have my brother's old Glacier GBA, since this is a solder free mod I could do this easily, I might just take the plunge!

I love my GBA SP to death, don't get me wrong, but the OG GBA is just a more comfortable device.

[EDIT]
Damn, Lee Chan is out of the kits. Guess I'll keep an eye on the page in case they get more in.

Don't bother. Order a replacement lens from ebay. They are dirt cheap, and are as new. You can even get real glass ones.

You don't need to get rid of the glue, but the safest way is to take the console apart and wash it off in a sink.

Gotcha I have it completely taken apart since the stickers left a lot Adhesive. I Got all of it off, I just didn't want the lens on with the glue still there I was thinking of ordering a new lens anyway but I just wanted to prevent dust from getting in. Where would you recommend getting a lens from, also is there a good spot to get backlighting for it or a gameboy color?

Peagles

I guess that makes more sense. It would be nice the difference between the two levels if anyone has a picture.

I'm not sure that photos show it so well, so I'll describe it.

There are three levels. One without soldering, one soldered to a point which is a bit brighter, and one soldered to a point which is a bit brighter again.

If you have seen or used an AGS-101, level 1 (on the mod) is much dimmer than the dimmest setting, level 2 is slightly dimmer than the dimmest setting, and level 3 is somewhere between the two brightness levels of the AGS-101 (although in my opinion slightly closer to the brightest). Most people just go with the brightest when they mod and leave it at that.

Couldn't pass up boxed GBA stuff when it's this cheap! Already had the Legacy of Goku I & II dual cart so it'll pay for about half of what this stuff cost.

wBb68nEl.jpg

d2NAik8l.jpg

LAM09

Couldn't pass up boxed GBA stuff when it's this cheap! Already had the Legacy of Goku I & II dual cart so it'll pay for about half of what this stuff cost.

wBb68nEl.jpg

d2NAik8l.jpg

Damn you! :p

I have been after the Jackie Chan game for a while, but I have only seen the game by itself for sale. You got it very cheap!

womp

Anyone heard of 8-bit evolution? I just heard of them from this review.
http://youtu.be/4VTLF2coGe4

Yeah, not really impressed. My buddy got one of their models from eBay and it had food? in the headphone jack and a bunch of debris behind the screen. Basically the GBA innards they used were beat to crap and the volume button looked chewed on.

They had a display at Too Many Games here in the Philadelphia area recently and something just felt really 'cheesy' about their offerings overall. But in any case, based on my friend's experience....

Yeah, not really impressed. My buddy got one of their models from eBay and it had food? in the headphone jack and a bunch of debris behind the screen. Basically the GBA innards they used were beat to crap and the volume button looked chewed on.

They had a display at Too Many Games here in the Philadelphia area recently and something just felt really 'cheesy' about their offerings overall. But in any case, based on my friend's experience....

those shells are definitely tacky as fuck

putermcgee

There are three levels. One without soldering, one soldered to a point which is a bit brighter, and one soldered to a point which is a bit brighter again.

If you have seen or used an AGS-101, level 1 (on the mod) is much dimmer than the dimmest setting, level 2 is slightly dimmer than the dimmest setting, and level 3 is somewhere between the two brightness levels of the AGS-101 (although in my opinion slightly closer to the brightest). Most people just go with the brightest when they mod and leave it at that.
If the kit doesn't have the piece of wire to solder to the motherboard, is it easy to add? I was looking around and saw people scoring the actual ribbon cable and adding extra wires to it. There's no way I can do that myself, but if it was just a single lead somewhere else on the unit, I might give it a shot.

It all depends on how the solderless job goes.

Peagles

Eww...

Peagles

If the kit doesn't have the piece of wire to solder to the motherboard, is it easy to add? I was looking around and saw people scoring the actual ribbon cable and adding extra wires to it. There's no way I can do that myself, but if it was just a single lead somewhere else on the unit, I might give it a shot.

It all depends on how the solderless job goes.

You have to connect a point on the ribbon cable to a point on the motherboard. They're both quite small, particularly the one on the motherboard, but easier to do if you use very thin wire (I use kynar wire).

What do you mean by scoring the ribbon cable?

B.K.

Anyone heard of 8-bit evolution? I just heard of them from this review.
http://youtu.be/4VTLF2coGe4

I'm pretty sure they're the ones I bought a GBA from back in the winter. I ended up sending it back. It was painted a solid blue color, but there were light and dark spots on the shell where they didn't use enough paint in one spot and too much in another. The shell was sticky from the paint. The screen was darker than the AGS-101's lowest setting and it had a lot of ghosting and interlacing. It would have been unplayable to me. The screen was a blurry mess.

DontBlink

I see, but even level 1 seems like a big improvement versus the default GBA, based on Qblivion's image.

Maybe I'll try it myself someday.

Peagles

I see, but even level 1 seems like a big improvement versus the default GBA, based on Qblivion's image.

Maybe I'll try it myself someday.

Yes, because it's comparing no-lit to back-lit :p

Don't say that. Don't you EVER SAY THAT.

I don't know. The price has been on the increase lately, and now even leechan doesn't have any left? Seems suspicious to me. I think I'll buy up large just in case...

Well, at least enough to mod all these GBA systems I have lying around now.

Yes, because it's comparing no-lit to back-lit :p

I don't know. The price has been on the increase lately, and now even leechan doesn't have any left? Seems suspicious to me. I think I'll buy up large just in case...

Well, at least enough to mod all these GBA systems I have lying around now.

Where can you buy up large though? I want one ._.

Peagles

Where can you buy up large though? I want one ._.

There's other sellers on eBay, Taobao, Alibaba, etc. You'd probably have to buy the screen separate from the ribbon cable though as I haven't seen anyone else sell a "kit" as good as leechan did. I have a bunch of GBAs sitting here ready to mod so I might just order enough parts to do them all. Well.. maybe a couple more parts for future proofing, but it's hard when you don't know what mobo revision you'll get.

putermcgee

Damn, maybe the screens really have run out.
Wow, I'm glad I jumped on Lee_chan's merch then. There were only three left when I bought mine.

I kind of wish I had bought two, though, since I ended up ordering the midnight blue GBA, and that's a 32-pin motherboard (the backlit screen I bought is for my existing 40-pin board). That would have been nice to have a backup if I messed up, or one two sell if it turned out well.

Maximus.

Finally got an Atomic Purple Gameboy Color and a Gameboy Micro! The Gameboy Color was in decent condition, but I gave it a thorough clean and removed the stickers off the back. The speaker sometimes has a random hum sound to it, and the screen is scratched, but after cleaning it, it looks basically new.

The micro was given to me from a friend, so I appreciated them doing that!

I have replaced a battery in my copy of Pokemon Gold, but surprisingly all my other games still work.

F9GQ3g5.jpg

Thoraxes

I can be extremely anal at times but thankfully this one really is mint condition. I tempered my expectations a little, even though it was described as a mint but thankfully it (the unit itself) really is flawless.

Absolutely always ask the seller for any blemishes however small, but I do understand the worry even then.
Yeah. Honestly i'd be okay with blemishes if I found it at a goodwill or something on the cheap, but for anything more expensive i'd expect more quality.
You could always go the new in box route, but you'll definitely pay a premium. A few people in this thread and the Micro <3 thread got some new old stock from Arcade Shock back in 2012 due to a pricing error they honored, but that has been fixed.
Ah. I suppose it is always an option. Maybe next tax return season or something if I do go that route.
Honestly, the micro has a lot of qualities but it's very uncomfortable to play. Personally, if I was starting a collection, I'd get a modded first gen GBA. They look much more comfortable.

I really just need the headphone jack. I'd use my DSes but the hinges are broken on them, so it's not very worthwhile to use them. I do have a front-lit SP I had from when I was younger and it works fine, but I really would like a better quality screen.

Any recommendations as where to get a modded gen-1 GBA? I've seen a few links posted in here but am unsure of what's best. I don't want to do the DIY method on my Gen-1 GBA because I lack confidence in my soldering skills lol

mltplkxr

Yeah. Honestly i'd be okay with blemishes if I found it at a goodwill or something on the cheap, but for anything more expensive i'd expect more quality.

Ah. I suppose it is always an option. Maybe next tax return season or something if I do go that route.

I really just need the headphone jack. I'd use my DSes but the hinges are broken on them, so it's not very worthwhile to use them. I do have a front-lit SP I had from when I was younger and it works fine, but I really would like a better quality screen.

Any recommendations as where to get a modded gen-1 GBA? I've seen a few links posted in here but am unsure of what's best. I don't want to do the DIY method on my Gen-1 GBA because I lack confidence in my soldering skills lol

Ah. Yeah, the decision to require an adapter for the headphone jack was a weird decision. I couldn't recommend a place for a modded GBA but the last two or three pages are pretty much just about that so I'm sure someone will chime in.

Ah. Yeah, the decision to require an adapter for the headphone jack was a weird decision.

Around the time of the SP launch I read it was done to appease 3rd-party accessory manufacturers, since the SP eliminated the need for so many of their existing accesories (worm lights, battery packs, screen guards, etc.).

The Pelicans and Madcatzes and InterActs of the world could at least make weird AM/FM radio and headphone adapters that could interface with the link port. They'd even have pass-though ones that still allowed for link play while using headphones.

Damn, I had no idea people were modding the original GBA like that. That looks sexy. My big monkey hands get cramped on my AGS-101 and the idea of comfort seems awesome

Top Bottom