• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

psylah

Might get this. Says in the description the screen is AGS 101.

What do you guys think?

Edit - Apparently it's from a modding kit so idk if I want this now.

They will all be modded, there was never an OG Advance with a backlit screen.

I'd buy one, but I want the satisfaction of building one myself...

Any hint on when any more kits will be sold?

LAM09

Might get this. Says in the description the screen is AGS 101.

What do you guys think?

Edit - Apparently it's from a modding kit so idk if I want this now.

Looks nice, but I am always sceptical about things like this. I am after one myself, as GBA Micro's seem to be hard to get.

Highwind

They will all be modded, there was never an OG Advance with a backlit screen.

I'd buy one, but I want the satisfaction of building one myself...

Any hint on when any more kits will be sold?

I know they're all modded. Just want to know if the screen was from an ags 101 gba sp or if it's aftermarket.

Edit - Nvm, I bought it. :)

It's coming boxed (original japanese GBA packaging) with bubblewrap as well for £60. Not bad considering the ones I've seen go for more on ebay.

psylah

I know they're all modded. Just want to know if the screen was from an ags 101 gba sp or if it's aftermarket.

Edit - Nvm, I bought it. :)

It's coming boxed (original japanese GBA packaging) with bubblewrap as well for £60. Not bad considering the ones I've seen go for more on ebay.

What would the pros/cons of one be against the other?

Some of these have pretty bright screens, almost scorchingly bright. Are those the aftermarket ones?

Also, does the mod require a special GBA casing? I see some of the old kits come with new housing. If I bought one already done, I might have to take the guts and move it into a glacier case, which is what I want.

Highwind

What would the pros/cons of one be against the other?

Some of these have pretty bright screens, almost scorchingly bright. Are those the aftermarket ones?

Also, does the mod require a special GBA casing? I see some of the old kits come with new housing. If I bought one already done, I might have to take the guts and move it into a glacier case, which is what I want.

I heard there were screens going around which had terrible quality so one from the system would have been ideal as less chance of getting a really bad screen.

Though I also read that most modded ones don't have harvested AGS 101 screens, and the ones I've seen look really good anyway so I wouldn't stress too much about it ('m not anymore). Just ask the seller about it before buying and possibly asked a few gaffers what they think of the item with pictures.

Can't comment on the second question.

From what I've seen in videos you'd have to wear out some of the plastic on the front shell to get the screen to fit and possibly get a new glass screen (which are cheap) if you want to move it. There might be more but the process doesn't seem too difficult.

psylah

I heard there were screens going around which had terrible quality so one from the system would have been ideal as less chance of getting a really bad screen.

Though I also read that most modded ones don't have harvested AGS 101 screens, and the ones I've seen look really good anyway so I wouldn't stress too much about it ('m not anymore). Just ask the seller about it before buying and possibly asked a few gaffers what they think of the item with pictures.

Can't comment on the second question.

From what I've seen in videos you'd have to wear out some of the plastic on the front shell to get the screen to fit and possibly get a new glass screen (which are cheap) if you want to move it. There might be more but the process doesn't seem too difficult.

Ah alright. You'll have to let us know how you like it, and maybe suggest the seller.

As for the others of you who bought a pre-assembled unit and are happy with it, can one of you recommend a seller?

this looks cool

tumblr_n9jicemmYW1qzp9weo2_500.jpg

http://riverwood-elf.tumblr.com/post/93051596736/more-of-my-artwork-flower-gameboy

smuf

My kit from Lee-Chan arrived today, I'll post some pictures and impressions once I get it installed.

The shell seems kinda crappy but it will still be better than the beat to hell original shell the GBA I'll be using it on has. Like others have posted the replacement buttons seem very cheap so I'll keep the originals.

tokaio

Neo Member
Complete and excellent condition for that cheap? Great pickup, post some screens of the game in action.

I definitely will, although I have only the front-lit GBA SP to play it on :/.

Nice pick-ups, Warioland 3 looks in fantastic condition. I used to like buying stuff with boxes and manuals but stopped ages ago due to lack of space. Now I just look for authentic carts..

I try to get only CIB games, but if I manage to find a cheap (and nice looking) cart I buy it :p. That's what happened with Kid Dracula, it was cheap and the sticker was in nice condition so I bid :).

Lately I decided to say goodbye to my GB Micro (I'm looking for one in better condition) and took some photos for the auction listing. I really like the design, it really is a well-built console. Unfortunately I have large hands so it's not that comfortable to play (River City Ransom was pretty tough on my fingers :p), and in my opinion the screen is a little too small. Nevertheless I love GBM so it won't be long till another one will fall into my hands :).

Here are the shots:

psylah

I definitely will, although I have only the front-lit GBA SP to play it on :/.

I try to get only CIB games, but if I manage to find a cheap (and nice looking) cart I buy it :p. That's what happened with Kid Dracula, it was cheap and the sticker was in nice condition so I bid :).

Lately I decided to say goodbye to my GB Micro (I'm looking for one in better condition) and took some photos for the auction listing. I really like the design, it really is a well-built console. Unfortunately I have large hands so it's not that comfortable to play (River City Ransom was pretty tough on my fingers :p), and in my opinion the screen is a little too small. Nevertheless I love GBM so it won't be long till another one will fall into my hands :).

Here are the shots:

I bought a micro for my nephews when they came out, and the little shits lost it.

Game boys shouldn't be bought for kids, they can't appreciate their splendor.

Rich!

I bought a micro for my nephews when they came out, and the little shits lost it.

Game boys shouldn't be bought for kids, they can't appreciate their splendor.

Hey man I got an original game boy with Wario land back in 1994 when I was 5 and it still works to this day

psylah

Hey man I got an original game boy with Wario land back in 1994 when I was 5 and it still works to this day

I kept my gameboys in cloth pouches to protect their screens.
They kept their gameboys in the back yard.
We got 4 of my 5 nieces and nephews nexus 7 tablets for christmas, within a month one of them was water-damaged, one was cracked. Square-trade replaced them.

Peagles

Some kids treat their things badly, but it's certainly not true of all children. I don't think I ever broke any of my gadgets or toys as a kid.

I don't think stuff is as hardy these days though.

psylah

Some kids treat their things badly, but it's certainly not true of all children. I don't think I ever broke any of my gadgets or toys as a kid.

I don't think stuff is as hardy these days though.

They're getting Gizmondos for christmas this year.

psylah

What do you guys think about removing the serial bar sticker from the back of your OG Gameboys or Pockets? They are the grossest parts of mine, and I think removing them would make them look much better, but I like to have them for authenticity.

What do you guys think about removing the serial bar sticker from the back of your OG Gameboys or Pockets? They are the grossest parts of mine, and I think removing them would make them look much better, but I like to have them for authenticity.

I have that grimey shit on the DMG from my youth, as gross as it is. On the other hand the JP import DMGs ones don't have that label and instead have a much smaller one that doesn't easily get messed up IIRC.

Maximus.

I took off all the stickers on the back of my Gameboy Color I just bought. The serial sticker was disgusting, so I needed to remove that anyways. I usually don't do that to consoles, but I really like how my Gameboy looks without the stickers. Don't regret it.

Cleaning it was a bit time consuming, had to use alcohol wipes, lysol wipes and solvent to get the sticky residue off afterwards.

brainpann

yo that's awesome, I would so buy one of those. mind sharing how you built one? im watching the video without audio right now... does it do hdmi out?

No-no hdmi out. It outputs composite and rgb via scart. I have the rgb going to my XRGB unit.

I mention it in the video but im using an innovation gba tv out adapter.

smuf

I tried the mod last night but ended up with a black screen. Must have botched something up during soldering I guess, I'll see if I can fix it this weekend.

psylah

Sweet, it's not. And it has a save with all 386 pokemon in the pokedex, 172 hours. Looks like he transferred out any legendaries though.

I'm playing through Red to try to get back into it after buying Y and not enjoying it too much.

I was shocked to see how much Gold / Silver .etc still go for.

Speaking of fakes, do the fake games not have the game on them? Or does it have the proper game on it but the cartridge mats themselves are bootleg?

Aliexpress has the 5-set of advance pokemon games for 17 bucks, and they're certainly fakes, but it wouldn't bother me much if I can still play the game.

putermcgee

I know people like the OG Game Boy, but I definitely prefer the Pocket over it. Your clear Game Boy Pocket there looks amazing.

And that DS! Sweet. I'd love to have a DS Lite with a shell that's the same as the GBA Fuchsia shell.

I know people like the OG Game Boy, but I definitely prefer the Pocket over it. Your clear Game Boy Pocket there looks amazing.

And that DS! Sweet. I'd love to have a DS Lite with a shell that's the same as the GBA Fuchsia shell.

I like Pockets too. Was my go-to for monochrome GB games until I copped a Game Boy Light.

psylah

it's rough. I already ordered a replacement screen for the DMG, and I might gut it for an all-internal cleaning.

I plan on putting my XL in a clear pink shell, whenever they get around to making one.

I'm doing the same except I gamesharked Mew as my starter. Combined with my Beedrill and my Butterfree, Pewter City Gym sucked very much.

Probably my biggest problem I have right now is that I don't like seeing these cute animals attacking eachother. I'm no vegan treehugger, I love a steak as much as the next guy, but the idea is putting me off. I didn't have this problem back in middle school...

Highwind

Got my GBA today.

This is how Nintendo should have done it imo.

Not as bright as I thought it'd be (don't mind the brightness tbh), but the picture is still pretty clear. Definitely looks brighter than it really is in pictures. Well worth the purchase imo.

It also shipped in a japanese official black gba box which is nice.

Only issue I had was some dust/hair under the screen so I had to open it up to remove them.

Pictures:

Sadly my gba collection is lacking (just all the Pokemons, two Mario games, all 3 Sonic games, Minish Cap and all 4 Final Fantasy games) so I'd need to work on getting more.

Finally have my own garage sale pick up post. My wife goes to quite a few garage sales during the summer months and sadly usually doesn't see many video games (outside of junk like Madden, licensed titles like Spongebob, ect), today she surprised me with these, all for only $2 a piece:

19F3A017-9A6A-4665-867B-D8EC6FF2DA4D-3098-00000285C0A774E6_zpsa6a65f1f.jpg

I already have a complete copy of Drill Dozer so I plan on tradIng it if anyone is interested (would love to trade for a GBA RPG of some kind as that is one genre I have no entries for within my GBA library). Pac Man Collection is great, it has OG Pac Man, Arrangement, Pac Mania and PAC Attack (glad I recently resisted the urge to get it on Wii U VC). Sonic for GBA is as buggy as people say, still can't complain though as a gift, I plan on playing through it at least once.

Okay those screens are truly in shortage now. I'm trying my best to secure a bunch.

I went and checked out lee_chan's page and got super excited when I saw what looked like an upgrade kit, but when I read more carefully I noticed it was using an AGS-001 screen. I am losing hope of finding a decent 101 kit.

You mentioned earlier some sellers on Taobao, how do you find them? I am utterly lost trying to navigate that page in broken translated english.

Peagles

I went and checked out lee_chan's page and got super excited when I saw what looked like an upgrade kit, but when I read more carefully I noticed it was using an AGS-001 screen. I am losing hope of finding a decent 101 kit.

You mentioned earlier some sellers on Taobao, how do you find them? I am utterly lost trying to navigate that page in broken translated english.

I did a bit of research and had some help from gaf members, and you can only order from taobao if you live in China I think. There are a lot of agents online that will order for you for a fee.

So I'm using Aliexpress instead. Most sellers I messaged were out of stock though.

Managed to find a seller on eBay with 'more than 10' of the screens, but at AU$65 it seems a bit excessive. Is that the regular going price?

Almost seems worth just paying about $50 and getting the entire system, properly modded rather than me digging into an old beaten up GBA.

Peagles

Managed to find a seller on eBay with 'more than 10' of the screens, but at AU$65 it seems a bit excessive. Is that the regular going price?

Almost seems worth just paying about $50 and getting the entire system, properly modded rather than me digging into an old beaten up GBA.

It wasn't before, but it's rising now because they are disappearing. The price of the pre-modded systems has also been increasing because of this, so if you have one ready to go for $50 and it's genuine, then that's a damn good deal.

It wasn't before, but it's rising now because they are disappearing. The price of the pre-modded systems has also been increasing because of this, so if you have one ready to go for $50 and it's genuine, then that's a damn good deal.

Oops, I actually meant to say, an extra $50. And double checking, that might have been a bit conservative. Looks like they go for about US$120, so this modding job suddenly looks a bit more appealing.

Gonna have to suss out the adapter cables and the like.

Tamanator

Perhaps where these resellers were sourcing the screens from has finally ran out/stopped producing them. That's worrying since I was considering doing the mod.

Peagles

Oops, I actually meant to say, an extra $50. And double checking, that might have been a bit conservative. Looks like they go for about US$120, so this modding job suddenly looks a bit more appealing.

Gonna have to suss out the adapter cables and the like.

Ah I see. Yeh back when I first bought a kit it was $50 for everything you could ever need. Lee chan's kit came with the LCD, ribbon cable adapter, third party pre-trimmed shell with all the bits, plastic and glass lenses, tri-wing screwdrivers, double-sided tape, and maybe some more stuff I've forgotten. That kit ended up being $65+ toward the end. Now I'm seeing higher prices than that for just the LCD, it's crazy.

Perhaps where these resellers were sourcing the screens from has finally ran out/stopped producing them. That's worrying since I was considering doing the mod.

That's the story I'm getting from Lee chan at any rate, which is why I freaked out a bought a bunch of LCDs off Aliexpress. I just hope they actually deliver.

That's not to say it's certain that they'll never produce them again, cos they might (look at how many times a GBA flashcarts have stopped being produced, only to be started up again years later), but I'm not going to risk it.

Top Bottom