• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

tokaio

Neo Member
My latest GB-related pick-ups:

Kid Dracula, got it really cheap, great game too :).

cQaOyor.jpg

Wario Land 3, 5 £ on eBay. I wonder why no one wanted it because I got it after the auction was relisted :p.

Dagon

Sorry if this has been asked a few times before (I did search), but can anyone point me in the direction of a couple decent eBay sellers of Japanese Game Boy Advance games.

I'm not too concerned about boxed copies but I do want to avoid pirated versions.

From my browsing I came across fujiwing and hit-japan. Any others?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I usually only get CiB, however lately I've bought a few games with the manual but no box for cheap.

Legacy of Goku 2
Bust a move
Fire Emblem
HM Friends of Mineral Town
DK NES Classics

Where I can find good custom-made printable covers to fit with NDS cases or Tape Cassettes "jewel cases"?

Cheers :)
I should post my tiny collection one of these days...

Also, is $20 too much for a CiB FF Tactics Advance USA with a box in poor (and I mean poor, it has a couple of rips!) conditions? Cart is legit, manual and cart are in very good conditions.
And to think I had the EU 'CIB as new' game and sold it for €15 less than 2 years ago, idiot -_-

My latest GB-related pick-ups:

Kid Dracula, got it really cheap, great game too :).

Wario Land 3, 5 £ on eBay. I wonder why no one wanted it because I got it after the auction was relisted :p.
Nice pick-ups, Warioland 3 looks in fantastic condition. I used to like buying stuff with boxes and manuals but stopped ages ago due to lack of space. Now I just look for authentic carts. A good few years back (perhaps 5+), I bought a bunch of authentic Gameboy cart cases (the transparent ones), so even if the game doesn't come with one I have spares.

hazukash

I only buy boxed GBA games to avoid piracy, but sometimes...

We bought a pirated CIB Sonic Advance 2 earlier this year. From the auction picture, you couldn't tell it was fake at all. It was only when we received the game and saw it was rated Teen and the back of the box had several spelling mistakes that we realized it was a fluke. The cardboard was glossier than your average GBA box's and the cartridge label had saturated colours, but nothing easy to spot on a picture as only the box was shown. Also, look at the name of the game when the cartridge was inside of the DS Lite: LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game. Yeah, it had its own "select game" menu, before starting the game and the wrong name was shown. It worked fine outside of that.

As for GB(C) games, I've never seen a fake outside of Pokémon cartridges (good thing I have my childhood originals) and those obvious 100-games-in-1 pirated carts. I'm looking to buy boxed copies of Pokémon RBY in the future as I was a stupid kid who threw away boxes and destroyed labels. My Gold and Silver boxes and manuals aren't in great shape either so I might upgrade. I'm decent at Japanese so NTSC-J copies are always an option, thankfully.

I only buy boxed GBA games to avoid piracy, but sometimes...

We bought a pirated CIB Sonic Advance 2 earlier this year. From the auction picture, you couldn't tell it was fake at all. It was only when we received the game and saw it was rated Teen and the back of the box had several spelling mistakes that we realized it was a fluke. The cardboard was glossier than your average GBA box's and the cartridge label had saturated colours, but nothing easy to spot on a picture as only the box was shown. Also, look at the name of the game when the cartridge was inside of the DS Lite: LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game. Yeah, it had its own "select game" menu, before starting the game and the wrong name was shown. It worked fine outside of that.

As for GB(C) games, I've never seen a fake outside of Pokémon cartridges (good thing I have my childhood originals) and those obvious 100-games-in-1 pirated carts. I'm looking to buy boxed copies of Pokémon RBY in the future as I was a stupid kid who threw away boxes and destroyed labels. My Gold and Silver boxes and manuals aren't in great shape either so I might upgrade. I'm decent at Japanese so NTSC-J copies are always an option, thankfully.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a DS firmware loophole and pirated games and flash cards could disguise themselves as Lego Star Wars. That's why Lego Star Wars is a common mis-titling of pirate games.

hazukash

JP Pokemon games are so much cheaper too. I'm seriously considering just getting Platinum in Japanese since the NA version is already expensive.

They are both cheaper and in better condition than NTSC games in general. Why did we throw away those cardboard boxes but the Japanese kept them mostly intact? I'm glad I smarted up after a few games even if my boxes aren't in good shape.

I'd say half of my Pokémon collection is NTSC-J. Fake cartridges are so common that getting a Japanese copy is often the best solution to avoid fakes unless you're willing to pay the price for an American copy and you don't want to play in Japanese. I bought CIB Japanese copies of Green, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed (new with wireless adapter), LeafGreen and TGC 2 post-release, and pre-ordered Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver, White and White 2.

Yellow, Red, Blue, Silver, Gold, Emerald, Diamond (real CIB copy + pirated cart I bought by mistake), HeartGold, Black, Black 2, X, Y, (Alpha Sapphire) are all American copies I found in local stores. I still have my special edition Pokémon Yellow GBC with the box, but it's only in decent shape. I'm thinking about upgrading, but it's pretty expensive.

No, but I'd be keen to know the impressions of someone that has.

I might order one when I have some extra cash. I really want a backlit GBA but I really can't spend over $100.

Also, a guy on Reddit just got his North American SNES style GBA from RCG. I told him how RCG kinda has a poor reputation over here but he says he's really happy with it. He also let me know I could share his pictures. I think the GBA looks amazing from the look of the pictures he's posted. Here are some of his pics and a link to his thread in /r/Gameboy here.

putermcgee

While I'd prefer the Super Famicom version, and I would like it if those Start/Select buttons were darker, that looks really nice. I don't think they are over-charging on these, it's just that $250 is out of my price range.

Thanks for sharing the pics too. It's nice to see a real RCG product that's not under regular indoor house lights, or taken with a crappy camera.

Peagles

So tempted. How do they look to people who have modded GBAs?

I might actually order one just to see what it's like as I can always use the parts if it sucks. It looks like it's been put into a new third party shell (these are sometimes poor quality but not too bad). The two different brightness levels shown in the photos intrigue me somewhat.

At that price it's less than a kit from eBay so even if you only end up using the parts it's probably not a bad gamble.

zonipoi

I might actually order one just to see what it's like as I can always use the parts if it sucks. It looks like it's been put into a new third party shell (these are sometimes poor quality but not too bad). The two different brightness levels shown in the photos intrigue me somewhat.

At that price it's less than a kit from eBay so even if you only end up using the parts it's probably not a bad gamble.

Cheers. Obviously there's a risk that it's crap but that seems to be the case no matter who you buy it from. Also free shipping and basically everything I've ordered from China has been marked down so unlikely to get import fees either.

The price is too good, gonna order one today. Damn.

Peagles

Cheers. Obviously there's a risk that it's crap but that seems to be the case no matter who you buy it from. Also free shipping and basically everything I've ordered from China has been marked down so unlikely to get import fees either.

Yeh, I mean the worst thing is you get one that's DOA or the screen is poor quality, but I guess if they're a decent seller they'll replace it.

womp

looking forward to y'alls GBA clone impressions.

Yeah, I am not so sure I would want a GBA clone...at least the majority of these back light mods are still using original Nintendo innards, gutting battered and bruised GBA's, and just replacing the screen and sometimes the shell.

Nice! Can't wait to see what you think.

I might order one when I have some extra cash. I really want a backlit GBA but I really can't spend over $100.

Also, a guy on Reddit just got his North American SNES style GBA from RCG. I told him how RCG kinda has a poor reputation over here but he says he's really happy with it. He also let me know I could share his pictures. I think the GBA looks amazing from the look of the pictures he's posted. Here are some of his pics and a link to his thread in /r/Gameboy here.

Wow, that one actually turned out really well, looks great. Too bad RCG still seems risky based on other pics though.

Got it from seller lee_chan1985. Pretty happy with it so far, the screen does have a little bit of noticeable ghosting but is just as good as my 101 SP. The glass screen looks amazing, way sharper than my original GBA's.

One nitpick: I might replace the buttons with one from another GBA, only because the replacement shell's buttons seem flimsier.

I would be wary with those GBAs from Aliexpress. If its anything like the one i picked up from Hong Kong last year, the panel won't be the right resolution, and games may run at the wrong speed as (if I'm not mistaken) those are cloned hardware.

maxcriden

Cheetos, that looks awesome. As someone totally unfamiliar with technical terms like this...what does "ghosting" mean in this context? I've looked it up before but never found a good definition for a layperson. Also, mind if I ask how much it cost?

Cheetos, that looks awesome. As someone totally unfamiliar with technical terms like this...what does "ghosting" mean in this context? I've looked it up before but never found a good definition for a layperson. Also, mind if I ask how much it cost?

Ghosting is like an afterimage of old display data think like the taillights in Akira but not intentional.

tumblr_m5wuhbWMDx1r8gr1qo1_500.gif

Mzo

Ghosting is related to the display bullet point known as response time. That tells you how fast a pixel can change from one extreme of the color range to the other. Older LCD screens tend to have slower response times that lead to ghosting.

Imagine a black dot traveling across a white background. As it moves, every pixel it crosses has to go from white to black and then back to white. When the change is slow, you'll see a grey streak behind the black dot. That's all it is.

womp

Got it from seller lee_chan1985. Pretty happy with it so far, the screen does have a little bit of noticeable ghosting but is just as good as my 101 SP. The glass screen looks amazing, way sharper than my original GBA's.

One nitpick: I might replace the buttons with one from another GBA, only because the replacement shell's buttons seem flimsier.

I would be wary with those GBAs from Aliexpress. If its anything like the one i picked up from Hong Kong last year, the panel won't be the right resolution, and games may run at the wrong speed as (if I'm not mistaken) those are cloned hardware.

Yeah, I replaced all the buttons in my modded eBay model from a beat to hell extra GBA I had laying around...Very easy to do...just watch the pieces. :)

Wolfe

Ghosting is related to the display bullet point known as response time. That tells you how fast a pixel can change from one extreme of the color range to the other. Older LCD screens tend to have slower response times that lead to ghosting.

Imagine a black dot traveling across a white background. As it moves, every pixel it crosses has to go from white to black and then back to white. When the change is slow, you'll see a grey streak behind the black dot. That's all it is.

It always bugs me when people refer to the 3DS' 3D crosstalk as ghosting. I mean the term has been around long before the 3DS was a thing, and it's not as though all games are 3D now so it's still used/relevant in regards to pixel based screens but whatever, I'm being nit picky.

I'm enjoying seeing more people pick up a modded GBA w/backlit screen. Would have loved to do one back in the day on my GBA but at the time all I knew of as an option was the frontlight mod (Afterburner). Granted it was still days better than no light but if you've ever seen the difference between the two SP versions you know how big of a difference backlighting is.

I'm really digging the way the SNES one from RCG's website photos look, wouldn't mind trying my hand at doing my own. Only issue I see being the screen text, makes me wonder if you can buy those anywhere or if they do it themselves/special order for them or what.

maxcriden

I'll have to add on this screen it should be barely noticeable to the layperson. I showed it to a few people at work and hardly anybody noticed it.

The GBA set me back $70, preassembled.

That's awesome. Seems like a terrific deal. I have a Glacier OG GBA myself:

It needs a new back battery cover but those are cheap to pick up. I've had it listed in the B/S/T thread because I didn't think I'd ever want to use it; now I'm thinking I might want to mod it or ask someone else to mod it. These mods look so nice and the Glacier has always been my favorite OG GBA model.

If you don't notice it on DSL, you shouldn't be concerned. It's about the same.

Good to hear, thanks. It sounds like it wouldn't be much of an issue for me, then.

That makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation, I really appreciate it.

Where is the best place to get a modded GBA, as it seems almost impossible to get a GBA Micro?

If you really want a Micro, you might be able to find one for a good price on craiglist. I got one for $15 sans faceplate not too long ago. If you keep looking you're bound to have some good luck.

Top Bottom