• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

shit...I sold my last backlit GBA I made a while ago. should have predicted shortages...

I just bought this...there's no images of the screen actually on, but the seller has great feedback from other backlit GBA consoles:

$_57.JPG

what do you guys think? Looks like a decent installation to me.

maxcriden

Finally have my own garage sale pick up post. My wife goes to quite a few garage sales during the summer months and sadly usually doesn't see many video games (outside of junk like Madden, licensed titles like Spongebob, ect), today she surprised me with these, all for only $2 a piece:

19F3A017-9A6A-4665-867B-D8EC6FF2DA4D-3098-00000285C0A774E6_zpsa6a65f1f.jpg

I already have a complete copy of Drill Dozer so I plan on tradIng it if anyone is interested (would love to trade for a GBA RPG of some kind as that is one genre I have no entries for within my GBA library). Pac Man Collection is great, it has OG Pac Man, Arrangement, Pac Mania and PAC Attack (glad I recently resisted the urge to get it on Wii U VC). Sonic for GBA is as buggy as people say, still can't complain though as a gift, I plan on playing through it at least once.

Whoa Drill Dozer for $2! That's an amazing find. I just got a copy on eBay, cart only, for about $7.50...I gladly would've traded with you otherwise. :)

Highwind

shit...I sold my last backlit GBA I made a while ago. should have predicted shortages...

I just bought this...there's no images of the screen actually on, but the seller has great feedback from other backlit GBA consoles:

what do you guys think? Looks like a decent installation to me.

It looks good and I was gonna buy that a few days back. I told the seller I was interested in buying it but wanted to see it with the system on and the seller told me he'd upload pictures with the system on but instead increased the price. lol.

I'm sure it'd be fine.

Rich!

It looks good and I was gonna buy that a few days back. I told the seller I was interested in buying it but wanted to see it with the system on and the seller told me he'd upload pictures with the system on but instead increased the price. lol.

I'm sure it'd be fine.

Hahaha I noticed the price increase. Fuck

Ah well, hopefully its good! At the prices the screens are now, it makes sense just to buy a premade one, especially when the guy has gone all out with a glass lens too.

From the photos, I can't see any evidence of dust under the screen which is great.

Peagles

Hahaha I noticed the price increase. Fuck

Ah well, hopefully its good! At the prices the screens are now, it makes sense just to buy a premade one, especially when the guy has gone all out with a glass lens too.

From the photos, I can't see any evidence of dust under the screen which is great.

Looks good to me, but from what I know of you, you're perfectly capable of fixing up any little problems yourself if they arise. How much was it just out of interest?

TnK

Give us a review rich when you get the GBA. BTW, is the screen used a non official chinese one similar to the AGS-101 screen?

I am still waiting for more hands on impressions to buy one myself.

Rich!

Give us a review rich when you get the GBA. BTW, is the screen used a non official chinese one similar to the AGS-101 screen?

I am still waiting for more hands on impressions to buy one myself.

I will post impressions when it arrives

But uh, the more you wait the less chance you have of getting one. They are running out. You will be looking at double or triple the price by this time next year.

Ultima_5

I've been looking into replacing the batteries on my old carts (gameboy, nes, snes, et cetera). I figure i'll get a couple of cheap carts to practice on until i get decent at soldering.

I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a battery holder? So the next time the battery dies all I have to do is open the cart and pop in a new battery? Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0JQXIA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0JMD0C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I haven't been able to find much info online about doing this... any good tutorials? I'm not a huge fan of just taping the battery in and I think this could work well.... I figure it would work well in a snes cart because there's some extra room, but i don't know about gameboy games.... any opinions?

tokaio

Neo Member
I haven't been able to find much info online about doing this... any good tutorials? I'm not a huge fan of just taping the battery in and I think this could work well.... I figure it would work well in a snes cart because there's some extra room, but i don't know about gameboy games.... any opinions?

I've seen two videos about it some time ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo5TeJEicto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKU6hDHgnNQ

The battery holders definitely make it easier to replace the batteries in the future, I might try it some time.

Rich!

Anyone know a place to buy replacement LCD screens for a DMG-01? Does anyone even bother making them?

from another DMG.

That's basically it. If someone did make a replacement LCD, it'd most assuredly be of higher quality and it would be known everywhere, I'm guessing.

Peagles

But uh, the more you wait the less chance you have of getting one. They are running out. You will be looking at double or triple the price by this time next year.

Agreed. They might start up production again but for now they're virtually gone.

I will have a few pre-modded systems to sell in about a month but I need to work out a price because I've paid a lot for the parts. I'm working on getting some deluxe ribbon cables in order to do a special mod of sorts that will have 5 brightness levels, so they will be better than the average mod, but I will have some regular ones available too.

prateeko

GAAAAAH, I just got a sweet Midnight Blue Toys R Us (JPN) GBA and want it modded with the backlit screen but don't have soldering skills myself. What's my bet, GAF?

putermcgee

GAAAAAH, I just got a sweet Midnight Blue Toys R Us (JPN) GBA and want it modded with the backlit screen but don't have soldering skills myself. What's my bet, GAF?
That's what the last two pages in this thread are about. Basically, the supply of backlit screens is drying up, and will likely be a lot more expensive next time they pop up. Your best bet is probably to find an AGS-101 and take the screen out yourself.

EDIT: Unless you were talking more like paying for someone to do it for you. I'm not sure if anyone does that here, but the kit's I've seen do allow you to skip the soldering stage if you don't need the brightest screen.

Aside from that, would you mind taking and sharing some pics of your new GBA?

prateeko

That's what the last two pages in this thread are about. Basically, the supply of backlit screens is drying up, and will likely be a lot more expensive next time they pop up. Your best bet is probably to find an AGS-101 and take the screen out yourself.

Aside from that, would you mind taking and sharing some pics of your new GBA?

Yeah I've been reading the last two pages, hence the freak out. I wasn't sure which place was reliable with good quality screens or for someone like myself who doesn't know how to solder if it would be better to buy a modded system and do a shell swap

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Found Sonic Advance 3 for $3, yay!

...is it at least decent? I never played any of the Sonic Advance games!

psylah

I ordered a replacement lens for my original Gameboy. I must've ordered the wrong one, becauise the one that showed up is a lighter shade of grey than the original one, which was closer to black on my clear GB. I installed it anyway.

Peagles

I ordered a replacement lens for my original Gameboy. I must've ordered the wrong one, becauise the one that showed up is a lighter shade of grey than the original one, which was closer to black on my clear GB. I installed it anyway.

If I remember right, there's a slight colour difference between the original models and the Play it Loud models.

TnK

I just want to make sure if the image quality really is as good as the others mention it is. Till now they have been positive, but I want to make sure that the quality is consistent with all the modded GBAs. Basically, I don't want to end up with a modded GBA that has a bad screen.

If you can, could you please thoroughly describe the IQ of the GBA you get?

Holy crap, Ninja Cop/Ninja Five-0 is one expensive game. There goes buying that anytime soon/ever!

I was always curious about the Games Quest Direct connection. GQD typically reprints out of print games under licesce from the owner. They did this with SMT Nocturne among several other OOP games, dramatically lowering their value and increasing supply. Since GQD printed Ninja Five-O, I secretly hope there's a cache of unsold copies somewhere that they can sell for msrp (hopefully!). It's a stretch, but I can dream, lol.

This thread made me pick up another modded GBA off eBay. Darn you all.

Honestly, I'm curious to compare this one to what I got from Rose Colored Gaming, in terms of the screen.

Though looking at the lee_chan link, it looks like I bought one of his kits put together.

scoot3r

Picked up a super gameboy and pokemon red last weekend, good stuff. I was interested in mega man 5 but a quick look at eBay was a deterrent. Any good cheap classics for gb/gbc you guys could recommend other than the well known ones?

Slermy

I like Mario Picross (GB) and Game & Watch Gallery (GB).

Probably pretty popular, but Pokémon Pinball (GBC) should not be missed and is pretty cheap.

I've also recently picked up Project S-11 (GBC) but haven't tried it out yet. I bought it new for $15 just last week.

Whoa, that actually looks like it's in stock. Is homebrew on the cube really that easy?
You guys have been able to access the site? I've not been able to load http://uk.codejunkies.com/ all day today. Keep getting a 'the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading' message.

Also, is this SD media launcher region locked? I read somewhere earlier that a PAL one will apparently not work on a US/JP Gamecube. Sounds a bit odd...

daydream

Banned
Would be interested in GAF's opinion on Konami Krazy Racers and how it fares against Super Mario Kart/Super Circuit. Been thinking about getting it for years now.

Would be interested in GAF's opinion on Konami Krazy Racers and how it fares against Super Mario Kart/Super Circuit. Been thinking about getting it for years now.

I've owned Konami Krazy Racers since it was first released around the GBA launch and I love it. It's a very solid, colorful little Mario Kart clone. In fact, I think it controls better than Super Circuit which has always felt slippery to me. Plus, any game that features the Vic Viper ship from Gradius as an unlockable racer = instant win. If you like kart racers and classic Konami characters, definitely get it.

putermcgee

I ordered one of those $99 pre-assembled ones, I don't have an Advance on me to pick the 32 or 40 pin version. Maybe I'll buy a kit anyway...

For the screens you guys have ordered from him previously, was it of a particularly high quality?
I think two people here have said they were happy with the results from the screens they bought from lee_chan on ebay. I bought one, but I'm out of the country right now, and won't be able to try installing it until later this month. I do plan on taking pictures of the process as much as possible and sharing here if the results are good.

I bought that on day 1, and loved it. It was maybe the best take on cart racing I've played outside of the Mario Kart franchise, and that was even without knowing most of the characters.

Wish I had bought a backlit GBA earlier, really wanted an orange one :\
If you buy a kit from that previous ebay link, they include a replacement GBA shell, and orange is one of the options.

Borman

I think two people here have said they were happy with the results from the screens they bought from lee_chan on ebay. I bought one, but I'm out of the country right now, and won't be able to try installing it until later this month. I do plan on taking pictures of the process as much as possible and sharing here if the results are good.

I bought that on day 1, and loved it. It was maybe the best take on cart racing I've played outside of the Mario Kart franchise, and that was even without knowing most of the characters.

If you buy a kit from that previous ebay link, they include a replacement GBA shell, and orange is one of the options.

Last one sold just as I hit buy hah

prateeko

Last one sold just as I hit buy hah

I ended up buying a pair. Yesterday he had >100 I could add to my cart. This AM it was <20. I'll learn to solder to attach one wire and frickin mod my GBA myself since that's what it looks like I'll have to do.

Top Bottom