• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

SegaShack

I rented Konami Racers from Blockbuster when it first came out and loved it.

Finally got an Atomic Purple Gameboy Color and a Gameboy Micro! The Gameboy Color was in decent condition, but I gave it a thorough clean and removed the stickers off the back. The speaker sometimes has a random hum sound to it, and the screen is scratched, but after cleaning it, it looks basically new.

The micro was given to me from a friend, so I appreciated them doing that!

I have replaced a battery in my copy of Pokemon Gold, but surprisingly all my other games still work.

F9GQ3g5.jpg
FYI I also had a GBC at one point with hum, even my external speakers and headphones had the hum. Had to get another unit.

By the way, the mad catz stereo speakers for Game Boy Color are amazing.

You guys have been able to access the site? I've not been able to load http://uk.codejunkies.com/ all day today. Keep getting a 'the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading' message.

Also, is this SD media launcher region locked? I read somewhere earlier that a PAL one will apparently not work on a US/JP Gamecube. Sounds a bit odd...

I was able to order from UK CodeJunkies yesterday just fine. GAF demand killed them maybe? Ha!

Also I don't know for sure, but I expect that the SD Media Launcher might have to be region locked. It'd have to be coded forthe correct region for the GameCube to allow it to run. I think.

TnK

Agreed. They might start up production again but for now they're virtually gone.

I will have a few pre-modded systems to sell in about a month but I need to work out a price because I've paid a lot for the parts. I'm working on getting some deluxe ribbon cables in order to do a special mod of sorts that will have 5 brightness levels, so they will be better than the average mod, but I will have some regular ones available too.
Once you are willing to sell, do send a PM when they are up. Interested in buying one.

Is there a list of GBA games which uses batteries and a list of GBA games which uses flash memory?
So I can check which games I need to replace the batteries in the future.

putermcgee

I'm working on getting some deluxe ribbon cables in order to do a special mod of sorts that will have 5 brightness levels, so they will be better than the average mod, but I will have some regular ones available too.
Why stop at 5?

Are you soldering to different points on the motherboard to get different brightness levels, or what? What are the chances you could just put in a dial to have a more analog brightness setting?

Also, What's the deal with the replacement speakers that come with these backlight kits?

Peagles

Why stop at 5?

Are you soldering to different points on the motherboard to get different brightness levels, or what? What are the chances you could just put in a dial to have a more analog brightness setting?

Also, What's the deal with the replacement speakers that come with these backlight kits?

I don't know why it stops at 5. I'm getting special ribbon cables from somebody who hand makes them and they made it with 5 levels of brightness. With the current ribbon cables I can solder to two different points on the motherboard, or leave it unsoldered, to get 3 levels of brightness. I'm not aware of any other points on the motherboard which are workable for other brightness levels, but apparently this special cable allows it. I'm not sure if a dial would work or not.

Rich!

Got my pre-modded GBA today. It's flawless.

It's as if its a brand new build from Nintendo themselves. Must be one of those new kits. Buttons are absolutely fine. And the installation is damn good, not a speck of dust to be found:

oh and unlike the last few screens I got, this one seems legit and has no dead pixels. Glad I went the pre-modded route this time. Much less hassle, and the same price!

Thoraxes

It's as if its a brand new build from Nintendo themselves. Must be one of those new kits. Buttons are absolutely fine. And the installation is damn good, not a speck of dust to be found:

oh and unlike the last few screens I got, this one seems legit and has no dead pixels. Glad I went the pre-modded route this time. Much less hassle, and the same price!

Where was this one from?

Looks awesome btw!

Rich!

Where was this one from?

Looks awesome btw!

ebay, seller called marshall.lovsey

only had a few on for sale (all gone now), and they all looked amazing. I missed out on a purple one which was £20 cheaper but ah well. funny how my GBA was the same price the screen kit on its own is selling for...fucking hell

very very happy with it.

I don't know why it stops at 5. I'm getting special ribbon cables from somebody who hand makes them and they made it with 5 levels of brightness. With the current ribbon cables I can solder to two different points on the motherboard, or leave it unsoldered, to get 3 levels of brightness. I'm not aware of any other points on the motherboard which are workable for other brightness levels, but apparently this special cable allows it. I'm not sure if a dial would work or not.
It's probably just solder to one point (brightest) and then use resistors from there to bring the brightness down.

psylah

Currently shopping for another DS lite, PSP to put in clear housings to match my GB, GBP, incoming NGPC.

Apparently they never made a proper clear Wonderswan. C-c-c-c-combobreaker.

Would be interested in GAF's opinion on Konami Krazy Racers and how it fares against Super Mario Kart/Super Circuit. Been thinking about getting it for years now.
I have the game and just as others, to me it is one of the best Mario Kart clones out there, if not better than Mario Kart Advance. Very addictive and fun game with great controls and very nice music. I can only recommend it. I am still looking for JP revision in good condition to replace my EU edition but I have found none so far...

nusilver

Hey guys. I saw someone posted a couple of my RCG SNES GBA pics from Digital Press. Thanks for asking if you could share! As I explained, the buttons are *very* close to color accurate in person! but the texture of the paint makes them look different in pictures.

Regardless, I actually got the wrong version initially from RCG - I ordered an SFC version and got an SNES version. That's all squared away now and I've put together a write up, complete with a ton of pictures of both models, that should be going up on NWR soon (like tomorrow, hopefully.) I'm sure someone here will link to it before I have a chance to.

TnK

I did that backlight mod back in May '13, before it was cool.
[/hipster]

looks great in black, rich
Seeing you write something more than a sentence is bizarre lol. Don't get the wrong idea though, I am just not used to it.

That looks amazing. Any ghosting on the screens when playing?
Will do, I'll probably post here too when they are ready. Stuff takes ages to come from China though.
Thanks =D
Can't wait.

Tamanator

Agreed. They might start up production again but for now they're virtually gone.

I will have a few pre-modded systems to sell in about a month but I need to work out a price because I've paid a lot for the parts. I'm working on getting some deluxe ribbon cables in order to do a special mod of sorts that will have 5 brightness levels, so they will be better than the average mod, but I will have some regular ones available too.

Awesome that you are planning on selling some. I'm definitely interested in a 'super modded' one, especially after doing that amateur translation. If it works as it says it should be great.

Joqu

Ooooh. I usually don't post in here but I'm definitely interested in one of Peagles' brightness level GBAs too when that's done. Hope I manage to grab one~

putermcgee

From the RCG blog on Facebook:
Well folks I guess there's no sense in pretending that it hasn't happened. The supply of backlit replacement LCDs which we use to mod the GBA systems has rather unexpectedly dried up. While nobody in China seems to know for sure, I strongly suspect that all of us modders have been purchasing old stock and that they haven't been in production for a long time.

We've managed to grab all we could find while searching up and down all over the net and with our various overseas suppliers, but it ain't a whole lot and they sure weren't cheap. Not sure exactly what we're going to do with them or when, but it seems as though the modded GBA era has come to an end

What does this mean for RCG? Well, it means that we most likely won't be modding a whole lot of GBAs in the future Other than that, we'll just jump on any number of projects which have taken a backseat to the GBAs for so very long.

Expect to see more of the other portable consoles, more home consoles, so more exclusive products , more games, and a number of other cool things that have been in the planning stages for a LONG time. We're going to treat this as a positive thing. A lot of these other projects may have just sat unfinished forever if it weren't for this.

cheers,
wiggy
So I hope you guys managed to get the screens you wanted, and hopefully some more surface in the future.

And speaking of hopes, I hope I don't screw up the screen I got.

Gloam

Hey Peagles, are you making a list of folks for pre-mods? If so, please put me on it. The screen on my SP is horrible.

putermcgee

Shame about the supply drying up, but I don't think anyone in this thread recommends RCG anyway.
nusilver above seemed to be happy with the Famicom unit from RCG, but the post is more about a known company having trouble finding screens. They likely had good sources.

smuf

Glad I got one of the last screens. I botched the install on my first try though - by using a soldering iron that was a little too big - getting a new AGB 001 to install it on soon.

Glad I got one of the last screens. I botched the install on my first try though - by using a soldering iron that was a little too big - getting a new AGB 001 to install it on soon.

Watched an install guide tonight, gonna have to get me a new soldering iron.
The video showed a potentiometer and said it was something to do with the screen colour, anyone have more info on what that potentiometer does in the GBA?

I picked up a Pearl Pink AGS-101 with a perfect screen last night for $10 at Half Price Books. They normally sell them at $30 but this one was missing a charger and they said it worthless without it. They didn't even want to sell it to me when I offered $20, they countered with $10 and I now I have a pink to go with the light blue and black, I think that is all the AGS-101s, right?

I picked up a Pearl Pink AGS-101 with a perfect screen last night for $10 at Half Price Books. They normally sell them at $30 but this one was missing a charger and they said it worthless without it. They didn't even want to sell it to me when I offered $20, they countered with $10 and I now I have a pink to go with the light blue and black, I think that is all the AGS-101s, right?

lol, they don't have good business sense, do they?

Peagles

Watched an install guide tonight, gonna have to get me a new soldering iron.
The video showed a potentiometer and said it was something to do with the screen colour, anyone have more info on what that potentiometer does in the GBA?

Sometimes when you install the screen it needs adjusting. It might look too light or dark or just look kinda interlaced, so, (in very small increments, say eighth turns) you turn the potentiometer with a small screwdriver to correct it. You just have to do it by sight until you're happy with the image quality.

Edit:

Also to those asking, I am making a list of sorts for those interested in a system, but be aware I'm just one person so a couple of points...
1. I've had to pay a lot for the parts so they will be pricey compared to those great deals we were getting on eBay, partly because supply has dried up which has driven up costs, but partly because I can't buy in big lots as an individual with little disposable income.
2. I'll have very few available, four are already spoken for 100% and there's another five or so people interested so far. I'll have about 15 available in total including the multi brightness one and the regular one. Again this is because I'm just one person and not a business or anything. I'm not going to ask anyone to commit 100% right now so I'll just work down the list if people drop out.

I don't have all the parts yet so I'll let you all know when I have everything ready to go. I'll also come up with some prices. I will ship internationally but be aware I'm in New Zealand. If anyone has any questions in the mean time feel free to PM me. I also check this thread fairly often but if I miss you, PM me anyway.

womp

My seven year old is taking a break from Pokemon X...I gave him a copy of Fire Red and a spare SP 101 to play.

HUw5KK7.jpg

Thoraxes

ebay, seller called marshall.lovsey

only had a few on for sale (all gone now), and they all looked amazing. I missed out on a purple one which was £20 cheaper but ah well. funny how my GBA was the same price the screen kit on its own is selling for...fucking hell

very very happy with it.

Very nice!

Peagles

They're the same ones that were on Ali Express by the looks of things. I think they are clone systems rather than a modification of original Nintendo hardware, but I think someone in this thread did buy one for around $50USD if I recall correctly. I think they were going to post impressions when they got it.

Edit: And there's only 15 left on Ali Express now, wow!

baphomet

They're the same ones that were on Ali Express by the looks of things. I think they are clone systems rather than a modification of original Nintendo hardware, but I think someone in this thread did buy one for around $50USD if I recall correctly. I think they were going to post impressions when they got it.

Edit: And there's only 15 left on Ali Express now, wow!

Well, if it shows up and isn't a legit GBA I'll just get my money back. Says they had to replace the screen so we'll see. Its not like any of these systems are legit anyway. Everything is replaced aside from the motherboards.

I already got a micro and a GBC from RCG. But these look so much more comfortable.

I just don't want a clone system, should have bought one months ago.

Top Bottom