• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Battery finally died after finishing Kong and starting Mario Pinball. Well, not died...Just got into red. SP has an awesome battery!

prateeko

I wanted to get some of the RCG faceplates until I found out that there's glue on the back and you can't remove it after you put it on.

Those were the old, shitty ones. These new ones seem more like the original (mine have not come in yet) and they hook into the GBM.

Thoraxes

I got my RCG DMG Micro faceplate today too!

Looks and feels GREAT!

(The plastic is rounded at the edge which is why the start/select text looks off. It's looking through the plastic on an angle)

The thing is just perfect! Finally no more scratches for me.

2014-08-2115.11.324csst.jpg

2014-08-2115.18.15iys2c.jpg

Thoraxes

Think i'm snaggin' one of those DMG faceplates next go-around. I balked at them because they were charging too much for shipping but... hot damn

He's trying to remedy the shipping costs too. They ended up using stamps.com to make labels to ship to everyone.

In hindsight, I should've bought the NES one too. Oh well, that's for the next shipment I suppose.

My leechan GBA upgrade kit arrived today. Haven't gotten to the actual modification process yet but it was at least really nicely packed.

Expect pictures of the finished product, and hopefully I don't goof it up <_<

[EDIT]

For anyone who has used one of these upgraded screens before, did you find that you needed to solder the extra wire to the PCB to get the 'extra brightness'? Wondering if I should go out and get a replacement soldering iron before I start this whole process.

With all the discussions about hardware, here's a comment about an actual game:

I just completed the tutorial for Bruce Lee: Return of the Legend and... it felt great! ;) hopefully the rest of the game is good as well!

Peagles

My leechan GBA upgrade kit arrived today. Haven't gotten to the actual modification process yet but it was at least really nicely packed.

[EDIT]

For anyone who has used one of these upgraded screens before, did you find that you needed to solder the extra wire to the PCB to get the 'extra brightness'? Wondering if I should go out and get a replacement soldering iron before I start this whole process.

It's totally playable without the extra wire, but it definitely benefits from the extra brightness. You could always solder it later, the hardest part is placing the screen, once that's done, re-doing the ribbon cable isn't too big a job.

For the guys who have the latest RCG faceplates, would you be able to say if you think a faceplate sized screen protector would fit? It is what I use on my GAME BOY micros and they are exactly the same size as the faceplate surface; if the edges are very rounded on the RCG ones, the film might peel.

prateeko

[EDIT]

Do the LCDs come with a very thin protective film on them?

zonipoi

Got the cheap backlit GBA from Alibaba today. Screen has some scratches that I can't see when it's turned on and the buttons are a bit rough. From 5 minute testing I'm pretty satisfied.

Damn those RCG faceplates are awesome, im trying to order but they say "out of stock", any idea when they will be available or how to find out when they are?

edit: also does it come with the purple buttons? or how do you get those?

zonipoi

Some further testing and the screen is a lot dimmer than the Micro screen and I haven't found a way to adjust the brightness. The few scratches are pretty bad on white background. Headphone jack isn't working and the speaker isn't very good.

The unit isn't very good but I guess it's serviceable considering the 38&#8364; price. Someone whose handy could probably fix lot of the problems. I'll try to put up some pictures later.

Borman

Some further testing and the screen is a lot dimmer than the Micro screen and I haven't found a way to adjust the brightness. The few scratches are pretty bad on white background. Headphone jack isn't working and the speaker isn't very good.

The unit isn't very good but I guess it's serviceable considering the 38€ price. Someone whose handy could probably fix lot of the problems. I'll try to put up some pictures later.

Will be interesting to see what mine looks like when it comes, assuming its the same as the cheap ones on Ebay. Any idea if it is legit GBA hardware?

OnPoint

For the guys who have the latest RCG faceplates, would you be able to say if you think a faceplate sized screen protector would fit? It is what I use on my GAME BOY micros and they are exactly the same size as the faceplate surface; if the edges are very rounded on the RCG ones, the film might peel.

I want to answer this for you but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?

I want to answer this for you but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking?
I'll do by best to be clear.

I use screen protectors on my GBMs, the same kind as those for cellphones. The plastic film covers the whole surface of the faceplate and are exactly the same size; i.e. they go the very edge of the faceplate.

What I am asking is, are the edges of the RCG faceplates rounded downwards? I am asking because if they are there are chances my screen protectors will not be in contact with the plastic at the very edges, which would cause them to peel off.

I do not know if that makes sense...

zonipoi

Hard to get a good picture with my old iPhone. I'm liking the screen, the scratches seem to be on the shell. Is it hard to change the shell if I could find a good condition used one? Same applies for the buttons. Headphone jack not working is really disappointing and not sure if I could fix it even if I knew how to do it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
New games!

The guy who sent them to me sent them late so he tossed in Buffy and Wings of Fury. Not a terrible haul for $35.

Still hunting down The Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Legend 2, and Dragon Warrior 1 & 2.

2014-08-22.jpg

prateeko

Interestingly, mine didn't.

Are you sure it's not hard to see? On his pictures it looked like they had them on and you may see a bubble at an edge. I couldn't tell if mine has it or not and was wondering if someone else did, cuz otherwise the screen looks like it has very superficial scratches (that will become invisible when there is a plastic lens cover on top)

I'll do by best to be clear.

I use screen protectors on my GBMs, the same kind as those for cellphones. The plastic film covers the whole surface of the faceplate and are exactly the same size; i.e. they go the very edge of the faceplate.

What I am asking is, are the edges of the RCG faceplates rounded downwards? I am asking because if they are there are chances my screen protectors will not be in contact with the plastic at the very edges, which would cause them to peel off.

I do not know if that makes sense...

Guys, he is talking about a clear version of a skin (like a DecalGirl skin). I don't have my RCG faceplates yet for some reason, but they look like they sit a little higher and round down so you may be at risk for it peeling off but I don't think you need those in the first place since these faceplates will be in continuous production so replacing it will be cheap and easy once he ramps up production (in a factory)

Hard to get a good picture with my old iPhone. I'm liking the screen, the scratches seem to be on the shell. Is it hard to change the shell if I could find a good condition used one? Same applies for the buttons. Headphone jack not working is really disappointing and not sure if I could fix it even if I knew how to do it.

Are you talking about scratches on the plastic screen cover? If so, those are very replaceable and are super easy to pull off simply by putting a simple suction cup on top. Mine wasn't scratched but that's how I cleaned some dust and specs that were stuck on the screen and behind. Just used a simple suction cup from an old shower rack, lens popped off instantly. Used some scotch tape to gently pull all of the dust off the screen, boom, done. But scratches are no good and will ruin your enjoyment while paying games, definitely get a new screen lens too.

Are you sure it's not hard to see? On his pictures it looked like they had them on and you may see a bubble at an edge. I couldn't tell if mine has it or not and was wondering if someone else did, cuz otherwise the screen looks like it has very superficial scratches (that will become invisible when there is a plastic lens cover on top)

Definitely didn't have any film on the screen. The front plastic and glass panels had film, but not the screen. There are some superficial scratches on the screen, under the right light, but they become invisible under the glass screen lens and while the screen it actually lit up.

I love how mine turned out!

19jcPHE.jpg

There is a little bit of noticable ghosting, obvious on games with black outlines around moving objects like Super Mario World.

Is this something that can be adjusted with that little internal wheel in the GBA, or something I just have to deal with on a 101 screen?

Also, I didn't bother with the soldering of that extra brightness wire. Didn't come with the necessary wire, and I honestly think it looks pretty dang nice as is.

Het_Nkik

Got Star Stacker in the mail today which means I now own every Game Boy Kirby game.

I'm actually only two games away from owning every single Kirby game. Avalanche is easy to find and cheap boxed, so that won't be a problem, but I'm having a tough time finding a boxed copy of the Super Famicom version of Star Stacker. I can only find loose.

Peagles

If it helps, all the screens I've received have had the protective film. At first I was worried I was gonna peel off the polarising film, and some of them were a right pain in the arse to peel off, but it was meant to be taken off alright. Some had bubbles but most didn't. All had very very faint scratches so I'm glad that top layer was removable, and underneath was beautiful perfection.

I'll try take some pics of on vs off, because I don't want any of you to peel off the polarising part by accident on account of me! You could probably leave it on though and it wouldn't suffer, particularly once the screen is on and lit up.

Definitely didn't have any film on the screen. The front plastic and glass panels had film, but not the screen. There are some superficial scratches on the screen, under the right light, but they become invisible under the glass screen lens and while the screen it actually lit up.

19jcPHE.jpg

There is a little bit of noticable ghosting, obvious on games with black outlines around moving objects like Super Mario World.

Is this something that can be adjusted with that little internal wheel in the GBA, or something I just have to deal with on a 101 screen?

Also, I didn't bother with the soldering of that extra brightness wire. Didn't come with the necessary wire, and I honestly think it looks pretty dang nice as is.

Looks great!

Only adjust if you're getting that interlacing effect. It helps the ghosting somewhat but if you're already looking at a stable picture with no interlacing, it's probably not going to improve much.

19jcPHE.jpg

is that an aftermarket case? it looks good!

Borman

Put on my RCG faceplate. Sad there seems to be a small scratch on the bottom of the screen portion of the faceplate, I dont think there is a screen protector unless I just cant see it? Still looks better than I had.

prateeko

Put on my RCG faceplate. Sad there seems to be a small scratch on the bottom of the screen portion of the faceplate, I dont think there is a screen protector unless I just cant see it? Still looks better than I had.

Should be able to get them to exchange it for you

v1perz53

Just got the AGS-101 Black SP I ordered on ebay recently, super happy with it. Screen is flawless, shell was replaced so in perfect condition and I actually really like the feel of the paint, something I was a little worried about with a replaced shell. Hinge is also perfect, and the L + R buttons have an even better click than my AGS-001 SP I have from launch (L + R on the SP models is so satisfying to me). My only issue is that the D-pad and A and B buttons are a little stiffer than on my other SPs that I own.

Which leads to my question, would it be difficult to swap the internal rubber things and the buttons themselves from my old SP to the new one to get the D pad A and B to feel like my other SPs? Would this even work/get them to feel better? I am sure I could get used to the new one eventually, but if I could have my old button feel with minimal effort, I might as well.

God I am so happy with this purchase. I own a DS phat so I have seen GBA games backlit, but this is the first time seeing GB/GBC games on a backlit screen and it has made my night. Gonna be playing Link's Awakening DX all night tonight, and some DW III tomorrow.

prateeko

It's an easy fix actually. Just need a triwing screwdriver. Ifixit and many websites have tear downs. You just need to go to the part where you'd normally detach the LCD ribbon and swap out buttons and then fix it back it up without actually unplugging the display cable. You'll want to do it on a table so you don't lose small screws. It's actually very easy but when you go to remove the buttons the rubber pieces below the actual plastic buttons may stick to the motherboard a little (not glue sticky) so be careful the tiny buttons don't fall and roll away

batrush

Just got the AGS-101 Black SP I ordered on ebay recently, super happy with it. Screen is flawless, shell was replaced so in perfect condition and I actually really like the feel of the paint, something I was a little worried about with a replaced shell. Hinge is also perfect, and the L + R buttons have an even better click than my AGS-001 SP I have from launch (L + R on the SP models is so satisfying to me). My only issue is that the D-pad and A and B buttons are a little stiffer than on my other SPs that I own.

Which leads to my question, would it be difficult to swap the internal rubber things and the buttons themselves from my old SP to the new one to get the D pad A and B to feel like my other SPs? Would this even work/get them to feel better? I am sure I could get used to the new one eventually, but if I could have my old button feel with minimal effort, I might as well.

God I am so happy with this purchase. I own a DS phat so I have seen GBA games backlit, but this is the first time seeing GB/GBC games on a backlit screen and it has made my night. Gonna be playing Link's Awakening DX all night tonight, and some DW III tomorrow.

Hmm. I bought a refurbished AGS-101 recently and I'm pretty dissatisfied with the quality of the replacement shell. Feels like a cheap toy that'll just shatter after a drop. The buttons are much more shallow. Also, the hinges have so little resistance compared to an authentic shell. I'm planning to swap the replacement shell and buttons with an authentic shell and set of buttons from my AGS-001 as soon as my tri-wing arrives this week.

As for your question -- no, it's not difficult at all. Plenty of videos out there too.

v0yce

Been taking my GB Micro to work with me lately and am thinking about getting a flash card as I never know what I'll be in the mood for during my lunch break, but I have no experience with them.

What is the best one for the micro and will it sit flush in the device?

Also can you play GB/GB Color games on a GBM via flash card?

Been taking my GB Micro to work with me lately and am thinking about getting a flash card as I never know what I'll be in the mood for during my lunch break, but I have no experience with them.

What is the best one for the micro and will it sit flush in the device?

Also can you play GB/GB Color games on a GBM via flash card?

EZ Flash IV is what I use. It'll sit flush in a Micro, standard GBA cart sized.

Can play GB/GBC games, but they have to be set up through an emulator since the EZFIV can't play .gbc or .gb natively. Works well once you set it up though, can choose from heaps of palettes and SGB borders.

Het_Nkik

EZ Flash IV is what I use. It'll sit flush in a Micro, standard GBA cart sized.

Can play GB/GBC games, but they have to be set up through an emulator since the EZFIV can't play .gbc or .gb natively. Works well once you set it up though, can choose from heaps of palettes and SGB borders.

Hm? I have an EZ Flash IV and I played through For the Frog the Bell Tolls without an emulator. Just threw the ROM on the cart using the same software you have to use for GBA games.

EDIT: Unless you mean specifically when using an EZFIV on a Game Boy Micro. I used mine on my Game Boy Player.

prateeko

Hm? I have an EZ Flash IV and I played through For the Frog the Bell Tolls without an emulator. Just threw the ROM on the cart using the same software you have to use for GBA games.

EDIT: Unless you mean specifically when using an EZFIV on a Game Boy Micro. I used mine on my Game Boy Player.

I'm curious about this too. Way I understand it the EZ flash loads the game onto an empty shell of a GBA game, so if you loaded a GBC game and the you put it into something that can natively play GBC games it would have played it then? I def heard about GBC emulator for the EZ flash but never dabbled with it

Interesting, everywhere I looked said I couldn't load .gb files onto the EZFIV, and recommended the Goomba amulator (I think that was the one).

The EZ Loader client didn't list .gb under the 'supported formats' when I went to load ROMs, and i didn't try any other way.

FSLink

Banned

This should be incorrect....pretty sure you have to use Goomba since the EZ Flash IV doesn't natively support the GB/GBC formats.

Top Bottom