• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Cheerilee

The GBA has a physical switch inside the cart slot to activate the GBC chipset (and deactivate the GBA chipset) when a GBC-sized cart is inserted, so no GBA flashcart should be able to run GBC roms natively, because... it's a GBA flashcart, and is GBA sized, and it can't physically reach the GBC switch in the cart slot.

Any GBC on a GBA flashcart should be running in a GBC-on-GBA emulator, regardless of the hardware's ability to run perfect GBC.

Het_Nkik

Wait, is Goomba a program you run off the EZ Flash IV? Or is it just something you use to convert GB/C games to .gba files?

Because I don't have anything called Goomba on the SD card in my EZFIV, but my game's file extension is .gba. It's been three years since I put the game on the cart and I don't remember running it through Goomba but maybe I did?

I'm going to bed so preemptive sorry if I was wrong about this whole thing.

Peagles

Wait, is Goomba a program you run off the EZ Flash IV? Or is it just something you use to convert GB/C games to .gba files?

Because I don't have anything called Goomba on the SD card in my EZFIV, but my game's file extension is .gba. It's been three years since I put the game on the cart and I don't remember running it through Goomba but maybe I did?

I'm going to bed so preemptive sorry if I was wrong about this whole thing.

Sounds like it's been converted to run through Goomba.

Rich!

Just finished Zero Mission. Holy fuck is it short - 2 hours for me. Ive kinda revised my opinion on it now - Fusion is definitely superior

Het_Nkik

So I ran a search on my computer and I indeed have Goomba on here. And I read if you hit L+R on a Goomba game, you get a menu, and I got the menu on Frog.

So basically I'm a forgetful dumdum. Now I'm really going to sleep promise.

doomquake

butting into this thread (didn't read it) since I just remember how much I loved Boktai but never played it properly..and saw this thread on top.

What is the best choice of GBA model for this? My hands are huge, i like big screens..

zoukka

Does anyone know reliable sellers for the ags101 GBA devices?

Also how much better the screen is compared to DSlite if at all?

butting into this thread (didn't read it) since I just remember how much I loved Boktai but never played it properly..and saw this thread on top.

What is the best choice of GBA model for this? My hands are huge, i like big screens..

OG GBA + backlight mod probably

SP is really narrow and micro would be out of the question for large hands

Grizzo

I love how mine turned out!

19jcPHE.jpg

hey you and I are GBA twins!

photo12btk7c.jpg

prateeko

If it helps, all the screens I've received have had the protective film. At first I was worried I was gonna peel off the polarising film, and some of them were a right pain in the arse to peel off, but it was meant to be taken off alright. Some had bubbles but most didn't. All had very very faint scratches so I'm glad that top layer was removable, and underneath was beautiful perfection.

I'll try take some pics of on vs off, because I don't want any of you to peel off the polarising part by accident on account of me! You could probably leave it on though and it wouldn't suffer, particularly once the screen is on and lit up.

Looks great!

Only adjust if you're getting that interlacing effect. It helps the ghosting somewhat but if you're already looking at a stable picture with no interlacing, it's probably not going to improve much.

Yeah, if you can get a shot of that it would be helpful since I think there's some confusion in regards to what films can and cannot be removed

Audette

Few days ago, I picked up a copy of Crash Bandicoot for GBA from a local Thrift store.
I got it home and something caught my eye, the plastic looked off... upon closer inspection I found the logo on the back.

Nintondo...

Peagles

Yeah, if you can get a shot of that it would be helpful since I think there's some confusion in regards to what films can and cannot be removed

I will take some pics when I get back home on Friday. Basically they look a bit matte and usually look like they're covered with masses of hairline scratches that are pretty uniform in direction. Some have bubbles but most don't appear like you'd be able to peel anything off. I'll try get pics of both when I return.

Edit: Just tried to take a couple before I left home but I'm afraid they're too fine to capture and the screen is too reflective :/

Few days ago, I picked up a copy of Crash Bandicoot for GBA from a local Thrift store.
I got it home and something caught my eye, the plastic looked off... upon closer inspection I found the logo on the back.

Nintondo...

It can come live with my Nintondo FFVI Advance.

Nintondo...
Hah, I know I shouldn't, but this made me laugh.

Marow

Been thinking of perhaps buying a GBA SP AGS-101 later this year just so I have a good console to play my older titles on. In addition, it's a pretty dang good console in itself and very portable. It's more tempting bringing SP with me on a trip than a (3)DS, really.

Thinking of going with Platinum Silver as it's a nice and bright color, not looking too plastic... but Onyx Black and Cobalt Blue are also nice!

With this in mind, I wonder if anyone here has any experience with buying refurbished SPs. It's from the seller here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Game-Boy-...1311544953?pt=Video_Games&hash=item20e6d30e79

Also, what's the battery life on AGS-101? I can't find any info about that anywhere!

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Hiya Game Boy-GAF.
I bought a refurbished GBA SP a while ago, AGS-101 components in an AGS-001 case.
But the shoulder buttons haven't worked properly for a while now, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Blowing into the cracks helps most of the time but it's not long before they start to become unreliable again.
And if I fiddle around with the power switch (sometimes I just nudge it by accident), it resets or turns itself off, while the switch is set to ON.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to amend these issues? I'd rather not disassemble the console because I'm afraid I'll mess up something else, but I guess I'll have to do it if there's a way to fix the power switch issue. I don't think I have any soldering tools at my disposal either.
I guess I also could contact the seller about it, but it's been some months now and it's expensive to send it back and it takes a while.

Ultima_5

Hiya Game Boy-GAF.
I bought a refurbished GBA SP a while ago, AGS-101 components in an AGS-001 case.
But the shoulder buttons haven't worked properly for a while now, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Blowing into the cracks helps most of the time but it's not long before they start to become unreliable again.
And if I fiddle around with the power switch (sometimes I just nudge it by accident), it resets or turns itself off, while the switch is set to ON.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to amend these issues? I'd rather not disassemble the console because I'm afraid I'll mess up something else, but I guess I'll have to do it if there's a way to fix the power switch issue. I don't think I have any soldering tools at my disposal either.
I guess I also could contact the seller about it, but it's been some months now and it's expensive to send it back and it takes a while.

watch some YouTube videos on how to take it apart and do it. Might have the buttons contacts misaligned or dirty or something

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Unearthed a load of old Nintendo Power magazines! Oldest issue I have appears to be 95, but there's SO much GB goodness in these older issues!

Peagles

Unearthed a load of old Nintendo Power magazines! Oldest issue I have appears to be 95, but there's SO much GB goodness in these older issues!

Oh damn this reminds me I used to buy a GBA specific magazine back in the day. I still have them all I think it only ran for 10 or so issues. They even printed a picture I drew hehe.

putermcgee

My leechan GBA upgrade kit arrived today. Haven't gotten to the actual modification process yet but it was at least really nicely packed.

Expect pictures of the finished product, and hopefully I don't goof it up <_<
[EDIT]

For anyone who has used one of these upgraded screens before, did you find that you needed to solder the extra wire to the PCB to get the 'extra brightness'? Wondering if I should go out and get a replacement soldering iron before I start this whole process.
I also got my Lee_chan screen, and I fiddled around with the stuff a bit to get a feel for working inside a GBA again. Since I also got a midnight blue GBA (but it's a 32-pin motherboard), I swapped the internals from my glacier 40-pin GBA. That way, I won't have to have an extra set of components around when I get around to the actual mod.

I also took a couple of minutes to test the screen, using the replacement case that came with the screen. It looks nice, and I think it's definitely bright enough without soldering on the extra wire (which mine did come with, and it maybe fell out somewhere when you opened the box and bubble wrap). The casing might be fine, but the replacement shoulder buttons are terrible compared to the originals.

Do the LCDs come with a very thin protective film on them?
My LCD has a protective film over the screen. The glass screen and even the plastic one that came with the set both had protective film on both sides.

Has anyone gotten their backlit GBA clone from aliexpress yet? The link was posted here a few weeks ago and some of you said you'd bite since they were only $50. How'd they turn out? Legit? 'Cause I want one kinda.

Peagles

Has anyone gotten their backlit GBA clone from aliexpress yet? The link was posted here a few weeks ago and some of you said you'd bite since they were only $50. How'd they turn out? Legit? 'Cause I want one kinda.

Yes, one person has and posted some impressions on the previous page. Quoted below.

Got the cheap backlit GBA from Alibaba today. Screen has some scratches that I can't see when it's turned on and the buttons are a bit rough. From 5 minute testing I'm pretty satisfied.

Some further testing and the screen is a lot dimmer than the Micro screen and I haven't found a way to adjust the brightness. The few scratches are pretty bad on white background. Headphone jack isn't working and the speaker isn't very good.

The unit isn't very good but I guess it's serviceable considering the 38€ price. Someone whose handy could probably fix lot of the problems. I'll try to put up some pictures later.

Hard to get a good picture with my old iPhone. I'm liking the screen, the scratches seem to be on the shell. Is it hard to change the shell if I could find a good condition used one? Same applies for the buttons. Headphone jack not working is really disappointing and not sure if I could fix it even if I knew how to do it.

Did you guys assemble these yourself or bought somewhere? They look quite nice. I've seen similar orange backlit GBA's on Ebay, but I'm not sure if they are good quality.

Mine I put together myself. Used an old GBA my brother didn't want anymore, re-shelled it and installed the new screen. I'm pretty happy with the new shell tbh, doesn't feel terribly cheap. Far better than the old banged up and well worn buttons of the GBA before it.

prateeko

My LCD has a protective film over the screen. The glass screen and even the plastic one that came with the set both had protective film on both sides.

How apparant was it that there was a protective film? I want to make sure I'm not confusing the protective with the polarizing film (does it extent onto the metal or just go right up to the edge - the one I have doesn't look like it could be peeled off very easily).

Peagles

How apparant was it that there was a protective film? I want to make sure I'm not confusing the protective with the polarizing film (does it extent onto the metal or just go right up to the edge - the one I have doesn't look like it could be peeled off very easily).

I know you weren't quoting me, but if it's helpful the ones on mine are the exact same size as the black part of the LCD. Some came with bubbles so it was apparent, but all of them had it. Some of them look like they're going to be a pain in the butt to take off too, particularly because the ones without bubbles have nowhere to peel from.

OmegaX

I have a little problem with my Gameboy Micro, and I figured this would be the place to ask. Yesterday I noticed that I could see a scratch on the screen that wasn't there before. I wasn't sure if the scratch was on the screen itself or on the faceplate so I opened it. Luckily, the scratch was on the faceplate, and it wasn't on the outside but on the inside of it. It starts on top edge of the faceplate (the part that isn't transparent) and extends like half a centimeter over the transparent part.
The scratch is quite visible from all angles when the screen is off. With the screen turned on the scratch looks like a rainbow colored fine line from the front and it can be a little distracting. Do you guys know of any way to repair it or is it fucked? Unluckily, the faceplate is the Final Fantasy IV edition so I doubt that I'll be able to get a replacement.

Ultima_5

I have a little problem with my Gameboy Micro, and I figured this would be the place to ask. Yesterday I noticed that I could see a scratch on the screen that wasn't there before. I wasn't sure if the scratch was on the screen itself or on the faceplate so I opened it. Luckily, the scratch was on the faceplate, and it wasn't on the outside but on the inside of it. It starts on top edge of the faceplate (the part that isn't transparent) and extends like half a centimeter over the transparent part.
The scratch is quite visible from all angles when the screen is off. With the screen turned on the scratch looks like a rainbow colored fine line from the front and it can be a little distracting. Do you guys know of any way to repair it or is it fucked? Unluckily, the faceplate is the Final Fantasy IV edition so I doubt that I'll be able to get a replacement.

it's probably fucked.

rose colored gaming just had new micro face plates a little while ago, but i think they're sold out.

putermcgee

I guess this s one of those times I'm happy there are air bubbles under a protective film because it's clear it's meant to be removed.

The pot won't affect brightness, right? What are some good games to quickly test if it needs adjusting or not? I only had Dialhex with me, so it's tough to tell if everything's good on the screen.

Borman

So I got my GBA from the Chinese seller in today. It's actually fairly solid, seems legit but I cant find my triwing screwdriver right now. Cell phone shots for now...
aHL4Wt2.jpg

YPlceiZ.jpg

It isn't perfect. The corners of the screen are brighter than the rest of it, not sure if that is normal. Picky people wouldn't be happy if that is the case, but it isn't a distraction to me. All the buttons work.

The molding on the case on the side portions aren't perfect. I dont have a "real" GBA handy to see if that is like it on all of them. But you can see the horizontal line on the gray plastic
dT64LfC.jpg

fgmR0gZ.jpg

No built in games, and it plays GBC games, so if it is a clone, it would be a mighty good one that no one has seen. Im happy for the money I paid. No "Loading of Roms." EZ Flash IV works as it should. Seems to do everything it shouldWill open it up for confirmation if I can find my triwing.
6yxTARn.jpg

prateeko

This is one of those cheap ones from Ebay. 65 or 70$

Awww yiss, can't wait for mine to come on. A real "beater" of a GBA for only $60. That is if it ever arrives.

Still, I think I'll see if I can't get Peagles sweet mod for my Suicune or midnight blue (JPN) model for a real, nice GBA.

prateeko

Its not nearly as bad as that picture let on. Not denying it is there, but for 70$, I cant complain.

This is basically why I am hoping mine gets delivered and comes in the same condition since your's appears to be legitimate. This GBA was a real risk since the seller has no feedback and the whole auction looked shady (although the lack of fedback and language barrier contributed significantly), but since it basically costs the same as the kit (but is assemebled), I was willing to risk it.

Please let us know how it looks when you open it up!

Rich!

got a copy of Firered that had a fucked battery, fixed it

I'm actually at lv.50 for all of them now...just got to gym 8. first time playing through firered - exp. share doesn't work as I was expecting it to, which sucked. also, fuck off bill I didn't want to go to these random islands what the fuck

also pokemon mansion is THE WORST PLACE EVER. FUCK YOU, SWITCH STATUES AND RANDOM ENCOUNTERS EVERY TWO STEPS ARGHGH

had to buy like 30 max repels to get through that shit. I remember the first time I got Pokemon Red back in 1999, I kinda lucked out - I got to Vermillion Town and somehow my item list glitched out - anything 7th on the list was rendered as infinite. So obviously I used that to get infinite master balls and rare candy. such a fucking glitchy game

v1perz53

got a copy of Firered that had a fucked battery, fixed it

I felt like such a champion the first time I fixed the battery on a Pokemon Gold cart that had run out. Still kicking myself for throwing away both my copies of Silver because at the time I didn't know it was a battery issue, thought the game was broken (Gold was safe cause it was my brother's).

Also, if you think pokemon mansion is bad in FireRed, try it in the original Red/Blue where you had to navigate the absolutely dreadful inventory system to use your repels. Best feature they added in Black2/White2 was the prompt to use another repel when your current one ran out.

Rich!

I felt like such a champion the first time I fixed the battery on a Pokemon Gold cart that had run out. Still kicking myself for throwing away both my copies of Silver because at the time I didn't know it was a battery issue, thought the game was broken (Gold was safe cause it was my brother's).

Also, if you think pokemon mansion is bad in FireRed, try it in the original Red/Blue where you had to navigate the absolutely dreadful inventory system to use your repels. Best feature they added in Black2/White2 was the prompt to use another repel when your current one ran out.

well my only experience of getting that far in OG Red was with infinite items lol

I also remember some time after I got an action replay cart, obtained mew, and I made a tidy profit selling mew to various people at school (never told anyone about the cheat cart)

tokaio

Neo Member
I did some cleaning today and decided to take a few shots of my whole GB/GBC/GBA collection. It's nothing very impressive but I think there are a few really good and harder to find titles.

Top Bottom