• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

got goomba colour working

xiwebw.JPG

it's so good

Rich!

Damn, that looks great!

I was just playing my carts but I think I'll make the effort to get Goomba up and running on the EZFIV now!

Yeah didn't take long. You do have to use specific files not the stock ones and avoid using the ez flash client, or it won't save.

Having it properly set up is great - you can even exit back to the ez flash menu. Ill get the link later with a guide

Rich!

here we go:

https://www.**************/file/hflogk

(shit...didn't realize it was censored on GAF. it's send space. I'll get a dropbox link asap)

that's the zip file for Goomba Color, prepatched to work on the EZ Flash IV (complete with correctly working exit to loader function) and a correctly patched save file.

instructions:

1. unzip. not your pants you sick bastard, put that away.

2. open goombafront.exe

qdopnz.png

3. select emulator file = goombacolor.gba
select output file = whateverthefuckyouwant.gba
choose your rom directory on the left, copy roms over. right click to rename for pretty menu goodness

4. be mindful of file size limitations on the ez flash iv. anything higher than 15mb must be loaded into NOR. hit compile.

5. make a duplicate of the goombacolor.sav file and rename it to whatever your output rom is called (whateverthefuckyouwant.sav) and copy that to the ez flash iv SAVER folder. Put the output ROM into the SD root. done

remember, DO NOT use EZ Flash IV client for this.

Peagles

Thanks for that Rich! I'm away from home at the moment but I'll definitely give it a burl when I return. I want SGB borders!

Rich!

Thanks for that Rich! I'm away from home at the moment but I'll definitely give it a burl when I return. I want SGB borders!

only problem I've found is that it doesn't seem to run SGB colours. borders all run fine, and GBC games that support them (like Zelda and Wario Land 2) are perfect as it combines SGB borders and CGB colours. but SGB enhanced games like Donkey Kong have just the border and default monochrome palettes

not a major issue, but so so close to perfection

Gunsmithx

hmm of course as I go to order an EZ flash real hot stuff is out of stock... sigh.

Anyone know of another safe place to order it from?

Rich!

hmm of course as I go to order an EZ flash real hot stuff is out of stock... sigh.

Anyone know of another safe place to order it from?

afaik, it's out of production. same as the backlit screens.

take your pick out of the assortment of potentially dodgy chinese based websites that still have it in stock.

womp

only problem I've found is that it doesn't seem to run SGB colours. borders all run fine, and GBC games that support them (like Zelda and Wario Land 2) are perfect as it combines SGB borders and CGB colours. but SGB enhanced games like Donkey Kong have just the border and default monochrome palettes

not a major issue, but so so close to perfection

I've had EZFlash devices for my GBA for over 10 years now and the SGB stuff is great. I recommend Kirby Block Ball as well. :)

I swear mine had the properly colored DKong but maybe I am mistaken?

Recent pickups include Mario Pinball Land (not that fun) and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (getting addicted quickly).

Pinball of the Dead is on the way. Got my eye on One Piece Going Baseball, just because it looks like silly fun.

smuf

RealHotStuff.com may be out of stock, but RealHotStuff.hk has plenty of stock. I ordered from there last year because the shipping to Canada from Hong Kong is significantly cheaper than from the US.

That's where I got mine a couple of years back. It arrive in less than a week too, shipping from Hong Kong to Belgium.

putermcgee

Borman

I played with Goomba some last night. Apparently sometimes it doesnt like "&" or spaces in the folder path, so it worked best if I just put it directly on the C drive. Once I figured out that, smooth sailing, SGB colors for DK94 as well I think.

Borman

Does anyone have any tips for using their EZ Flash IV? Mine is just so inconsistent with the saves. They will work fine for a while, then my save will be completely gone. Or it wont save the latest version despite working earlier. I don't get it. I would think permissions are right as they do work sometimes. Id rather not go back to carrying around a fistful of carts in my bag, but I might have to.

Edit: Just to be clear, I let it go through its saving process of course.

prateeko

So I got my GBA from the Chinese seller in today. It's actually fairly solid, seems legit but I cant find my triwing screwdriver right now. Cell phone shots for now...
aHL4Wt2.jpg

YPlceiZ.jpg

It isn't perfect. The corners of the screen are brighter than the rest of it, not sure if that is normal. Picky people wouldn't be happy if that is the case, but it isn't a distraction to me. All the buttons work.

The molding on the case on the side portions aren't perfect. I dont have a "real" GBA handy to see if that is like it on all of them. But you can see the horizontal line on the gray plastic
dT64LfC.jpg

fgmR0gZ.jpg

No built in games, and it plays GBC games, so if it is a clone, it would be a mighty good one that no one has seen. Im happy for the money I paid. No "Loading of Roms." EZ Flash IV works as it should. Seems to do everything it shouldWill open it up for confirmation if I can find my triwing.
6yxTARn.jpg

Mine came in today, looks dimmer than yours although that could just be the picture . I opened up the back and will post the picture (it looks legit, but I couldn't see the front because of all the tape they put in) mostly since the motherboard looks very old and likely came from an original GBA. It only has the cable plugged in and does not have an extra-brightness part soldered in.

Borman, does yours look bright enough that it has a soldered wire or just dim and more consistent with cable only?

And as far as the EZ-Flash, which firmware are you running?

Borman

Mine came in today, looks dimmer than yours although that could just be the picture . I opened up the back and will post the picture (it looks legit, but I couldn't see the front because of all the tape they put in) mostly since the motherboard looks very old and likely came from an original GBA. It only has the cable plugged in and does not have an extra-brightness part soldered in.

Borman, does yours look bright enough that it has a soldered wire or just dim and more consistent with cable only?

And as far as the EZ-Flash, which firmware are you running?

I have nothing to compare it to so I dont know if its extra bright. Probably not? Im perfectly happy with the brightness though, I can see and it isn't overbearing to the point of washing out the image. Im more satisfied with it than a Micro screen really

I believe I am running the latest firmware on it? I know I finally got off of that Vader garbage hah, but the problem has existed since I got it.

prateeko

Put on my RCG faceplate. Sad there seems to be a small scratch on the bottom of the screen portion of the faceplate, I dont think there is a screen protector unless I just cant see it? Still looks better than I had.

Is that mario pinball game really fun?

In my limited experience the game looks great. Both the coverart, in your collection, and on the screen. Does that translate to fun?

Ehhhhhh

Rich!

In my limited experience the game looks great. Both the coverart, in your collection, and on the screen. Does that translate to fun?

Ehhhhhh

it's quite simply the worst Mario game to ever grace a nintendo console outside of Mario is Missing and the educational SNES titles.

putermcgee

Okay, I gave up on finding my Dremel, and ended up picking up a small knife set at Ace Hardware. The set was onnly about $5, so you can imagine the low quality product I ended up using. It took a lot longer because the knifes were no good and I didn't have my other tools, but I'm really happy with the results.

Honestly, the Toys R Us Midnight Blue AGB is easily my favorite, and was my most sought-after back when I collected game hardware. I'm sure this mod won't be as exciting for anyone else as it is for me. Thanks GAFolks for the advice and occasional links.

A couple things to note. I didn't solder the wire because I can always do it later, and It's bright enough for me as it is now. Looking straight on, the colors are nice, and it's very clear. At a lower angle, the screen mostly whites out (was that the same on the AGB-101?). From a higher angle, the contrast improves a little, but it's mostly the opposite effect from the lower angle view. Also, despite being really careful, a carpet fiber managed to get on the screen. I'm going to ride it out, but I have a feeling it's going to get to me.

Here are a few pictures, but if you want to see more, I have an album on imgur.

Peagles

^ Looks great!

I got home just now and look what had arrived this morning!

They're (obviously) not the same as the official faceplates. They're rough (matte I guess) on the frames but the lens is still clear and shiny. They also seem thicker overall and are a bit more rounded at the edges. The Famicom one isn't shiny gold like the original, just sort of yellow coloured, but it'll do. Overall the built quality is good; definitely worth $6 a pop! I think that's me done for faceplates for life!

China. From Alibaba to be precise. You have to buy a minimum of 10 though. Might be worth some gaffers in the same country doing a group buy? No one is really near me so I just took the plunge and got 10 (one of each design available). I think the cost decreases the more you order so it could be a bit less with a larger order too.

Sweet! Thanks. So um... Who wants to do a group buy here in the US? I just contacted the supplier, might go for a lot of 10, worst case.

So I have a thing for retro first-party peripherals. I just received a mint condition CIB copy of F1 Race with the four player Gameboy adapter. Looks like the adapter was never even used judging by how the cord was wrapped. Game is mint and even the sleeve looks like it's never been touched. Seal on the bag for the manual definitely hasn't been touched. I realize the game itself is shit but still -- I got it for $13 shipped. Can't get a price anywhere close to that for even the shittiest of early first party NES stuff.

Okay, I gave up on finding my Dremel, and ended up picking up a small knife set at Ace Hardware. The set was onnly about $5, so you can imagine the low quality product I ended up using. It took a lot longer because the knifes were no good and I didn't have my other tools, but I'm really happy with the results.

Honestly, the Toys R Us Midnight Blue AGB is easily my favorite, and was my most sought-after back when I collected game hardware. I'm sure this mod won't be as exciting for anyone else as it is for me. Thanks GAFolks for the advice and occasional links.

A couple things to note. I didn't solder the wire because I can always do it later, and It's bright enough for me as it is now. Looking straight on, the colors are nice, and it's very clear. At a lower angle, the screen mostly whites out (was that the same on the AGB-101?). From a higher angle, the contrast improves a little, but it's mostly the opposite effect from the lower angle view. Also, despite being really careful, a carpet fiber managed to get on the screen. I'm going to ride it out, but I have a feeling it's going to get to me.

Dang, I love that translucent dark blue! Making me jealous, even as a Spice Orange GBA owner, ha!

Woah, that looks great. So jealous!

Peagles, what colour shells do you have for the GBAs you've been working on?

Peagles

An overwhelming majority are glacier, but I have some fuchsia, and of course access to the new shells. If I use new shells I'll be keeping as much original parts as possible though (particularly buttons, and the bumper bits at the side because they are usually poorly casted).

Most are missing battery covers at the moment though so if anyone knows where I can get some of those shipped to NZ that would be appreciated! That or I'll offer a small discount for those without battery covers if people would rather buy their own.

Top Bottom