• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Rich!

What other color hacks are there and are these made because color palettes were modified to accommodate the shitty, OG AGB-001 screen?

Only other ones are Super Mario World and Final Fantasy IV, restored fully to SNES glory both patches available on Romhacking.net. And yes, they are made to fix the overly bright image the shitty og screen forced the games to have.

FFIV is a complete sound restoration too. Anyhow, Yoshis Island is next.

Only other ones are Super Mario World and Final Fantasy IV, restored fully to SNES glory both patches available on Romhacking.net. And yes, they are made to fix the overly bright image the shitty og screen forced the games to have.

Oh god, tell me that someone has gone though the Mario and Zelda games that had the 3d versions "voices" added into attacks and what not and removed them.

That sound patch is mono tho. Kinda kills the point.

Rich!

Oh god, tell me that someone has gone though the Mario and Zelda games that had the 3d versions "voices" added into attacks and what not and removed them.

I did that for Link to the Past, actually. I have the ips file somewhere but if not I will break out my hex editor and do it again.

Yo dudes! I just bought a loose copy of Ghost Babel for $35. I know I got ripped off but it was my first time at the new location of a mom 'n pop I used to frequent as a kid so I had to walk out with something. My question is how bad did I get hosed? Just curious!

i got a gameboy micro to turn into a keychain, as well as an ezflash iv so i can keep a nice archive on me at all times :)

looking forward for it to arrive! anyone else do something similar?

Yo dudes! I just bought a loose copy of Ghost Babel for $35. I know I got ripped off but it was my first time at the new location of a mom 'n pop I used to frequent as a kid so I had to walk out with something. My question is how bad did I get hosed? Just curious!
i think that's a $15 game

cafemomo

It usually goes for $30 loose on ebay. $25 according to this http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/gameboy-color/metal-gear-solid
LY7SOTY.png

man, for 10K, the moment I stick that cart into my GB, it better turn into a metal gear

i think that's a $15 game

How would you handle the scratching?

It usually goes for $30 loose on ebay. $25 according to this http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/gameboy-color/metal-gear-solid

LY7SOTY.png

man, for 10K, the moment I stick that cart into my GB, it better turn into a metal gear
Hah, thanks all! Sounds like I didn't do too bad, and I'd been wanting to play the game anyway. So weird to have J+L in Midtown...

plc268

So I got my GBA from that cheap ebay sellers from a few weeks back. OMG dat ghosting, is this normal? System itself is fine, a little beat up but ok for the price.

Did anyone confirm these are originals? Box looked super fake.

Ghosting is pretty normal for AGS-101 screens. Most mods use reproductions of the AGS-101 screen, but even the official screens exhibit the same ghosting. FWIW, the AGS-101 doesn't really have a good quality screen. Honestly it's crap. It was alright for the time, and way better than a frontlit reflective lcd, that I'm still ok with it.

And a lot of sellers who do backlit gba's are going to swap out the housing, buttons, and screen lens. GBAs in general got beat up by nearly everyone, and it's hard to find any GBAs that are in decent shape. I've done a lot of backlit GBAs myself, and honestly out of 25 GBAs or so, maybe about 4 or 5 of them had salvageable cases.

That said, the reproduction cases are mostly good with one or two exceptions. The battery cover area is terrible. The battery cover itself is fine... stick it on an official case, and it's solid. But stick it on the back of a reproduction case, and it's loose. Screwing the screws is a bit tight, as the posts aren't properly threaded, and can cause alignment issues.

IrishNinja

I'll get my manly hands on it ASAP. I'm back at home now after being in and out over the past month so I can really sink my teeth into them starting tomorrow. I think I've got just about enough parts to cover everyone on the list so far but I have more systems on the way and I think I'll need to order another 5 fancy ribbon cables to complete the set. Got some battery covers coming soon too but I should be able to start sending some out over the next week. Still haven't got to the post office but hopefully I can get there tomorrow!

awesome news! please bill mine to gunsmith~

My DS cases from Nintendo came in today. Some printing and hacking away with an X acto knife hours later, and...

Came out a lot better than I imagined. Might order some more while I still can, never know when Nintendo will pull them from the store.

Hah, thanks all! Sounds like I didn't do too bad, and I'd been wanting to play the game anyway. So weird to have J+L in Midtown...

Haha, I keep forgetting J & L moved. Bought a good bit of stuff from their Chinatown spot over the years.

My DS cases from Nintendo came in today. Some printing and hacking away with an X acto knife hours later, and...

Came out a lot better than I imagined. Might order some more while I still can, never know when Nintendo will pull them from the store.

Haha, I keep forgetting J & L moved. Bought a good bit of stuff from their Chinatown spot over the years.

do those cases have the GBA cart holders?

prateeko

Nope. Nintendo stopped selling the ones with GBA cart holders a year or two back, I think.

GBA games actually fit into the case without any modding necessary; they just slide around a hell of a lot.

Please just go over to CustomGameCases.com (or hit up ShadowFox on TheCoverProject). They make an AMAZING case that fits GB, GBC, and GBA carts (including Yoshi Topsy, Drill Dozer, etc). They're also specifically designed to accommodate the Pokemon manuals which will never fit into the DS cases you've purchased and they don't require any modifications - I seriously cannot recommend them enough. I've purchased a bunch and it's actually part of what set me back off into retro gaming (since my own collection was savagely ruined after a home invasion a few years back). The cases look the exact same as the DS cases but on the inside...
6lWDbJa.jpg

Please just go over to CustomGameCases.com (or hit up ShadowFox on TheCoverProject). They make an AMAZING case that fits GB, GBC, and GBA carts (including Yoshi Topsy, Drill Dozer, etc). They're also specifically designed to accommodate the Pokemon manuals which will never fit into the DS cases you've purchased and they don't require any modifications - I seriously cannot recommend them enough. I've purchased a bunch and it's actually part of what set me back off into retro gaming (since my own collection was savagely ruined after a home invasion a few years back). The cases look the exact same as the DS cases but on the inside...
6lWDbJa.jpg

Whoa, I'll certainly look into this. I actually still have the manuals for some of my GB/GBC games (mainly Pokemon) so this would work great for me. (And save me a lot of trouble modding DS cases)

Edit: Holy shit, they have reasonably priced NES cases. Definitely using this.

v1perz53

Man these look so perfect, I wish I was in a financial position to drop $75 on cases for my games right now (I have just over 25 games I would want to display). Maybe I will save up for a bit, these look so much better than my current solution of using a golf ball case to display loose carts.

prateeko

Whoa, I'll certainly look into this. I actually still have the manuals for some of my GB/GBC games (mainly Pokemon) so this would work great for me. (And save me a lot of trouble modding DS cases)

Edit: Holy shit, they have reasonably priced NES cases. Definitely using this.

Hit him (ShadowFox) up on TheCoverProject and he may be able to give you a slightly better deal than on CustomGameCases.com.

Rymuth

First post on NeoGaf, I hope I don't trip and make a fool of myself on my first outing.

--tl:dr for the following--

I happened upon Gaf by accident when I was struck by a very powerful longing for my GBA games. We've moved around a lot, so several of my handhelds were lost, stolen or gifted but one day I decided that I wanted to build myself a collection of old games (particularly GBA and PSX). 'lo and behold, one Google search later and this thread was one of the results.
Initially, I had no interest in checking out the gaming forum and was satisfied with this thread. Later on, I kept hearing 'Gaf this, Gaf that' on Reddit/Gfaqs and other sites and I decided to check out other threads. Needless to say, I've become a Gaf-addict ever since..

Now that I got activated, I think it's only fitting that my first post should be in the thread that led me to this place.
---
My collection:
- OG GBA with custom back-lit screen (Ninja Turtles motif)
- 3 x 3 plastic cases for holding GBA cartridges
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
- Riveria: The Promised Land
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
- Pokemon Crystal
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- Metroid Fusion
- CIMA: The Enemy
- Sigma Star Saga

Special thanks to tiggerkiddo, Grief.exe, Prateeko and everyone else I failed to mention. Your tips helped immensely.

Welcome, Rymuth.

My latest purchases arrived today. I picked up CIB Crash Bandicoot 2 and Crash Nitro Kart for £7.99 including shipping. I'm not fussed about the box/instructions as I only collect carts:

Crash2ampNitroKart_zps4bafdd49.jpg

I recently bought Crash Nitro Kart via the Spyro/CRash multicart, and was only after Crash 2 but these two were being sold together so couldn't miss out on a good deal. I've never played either, only ever played Crash XS on GBA. Now I need to pick that up again!

Rich!

aw shiiiit son

I've got a speck of dust that's managed to get into my previously immaculate backlit GBA right under the glass lens. I'm just gonna have to deal with it, opening it will make it worse

how the fuck does this happen? It happened to both my 3DS XLs too

fucking dust bastards

Peagles

aw shiiiit son

I've got a speck of dust that's managed to get into my previously immaculate backlit GBA right under the glass lens. I'm just gonna have to deal with it, opening it will make it worse

how the fuck does this happen? It happened to both my 3DS XLs too

fucking dust bastards

It's cos they aren't airtight or nothing, dust can just breeze on in, it's a pain in the arse.

When I mod I always have to check it after a few hours cos there will be always be a few specks making their way in, even when I know I got it 100% clear before I put it back together.

You could try opening it up in the bathroom after a shower, the steam there should mean there's no rogue dust floating around. This is how I usually put on screen protectors, lol.

First post on NeoGaf, I hope I don't trip and make a fool of myself on my first outing.

--tl:dr for the following--

I happened upon Gaf by accident when I was struck by a very powerful longing for my GBA games. We've moved around a lot, so several of my handhelds were lost, stolen or gifted but one day I decided that I wanted to build myself a collection of old games (particularly GBA and PSX). 'lo and behold, one Google search later and this thread was one of the results.
Initially, I had no interest in checking out the gaming forum and was satisfied with this thread. Later on, I kept hearing 'Gaf this, Gaf that' on Reddit/Gfaqs and other sites and I decided to check out other threads. Needless to say, I've become a Gaf-addict ever since..

Now that I got activated, I think it's only fitting that my first post should be in the thread that led me to this place.
---
My collection:
- OG GBA with custom back-lit screen (Ninja Turtles motif)
- 3 x 3 plastic cases for holding GBA cartridges
- Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
- Riveria: The Promised Land
- Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
- Pokemon Crystal
- Metroid: Zero Mission
- Metroid Fusion
- CIMA: The Enemy
- Sigma Star Saga

Special thanks to tiggerkiddo, Grief.exe, Prateeko and everyone else I failed to mention. Your tips helped immensely.
Welcome! The retro pull is a strong force. Glad it pulled you our way.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
ztVKrY8.jpg

Well thanks to a friend I've finally done it. Took me forever to find the last 2 games I needed in stores again so I just traded for his. I'm just glad I got 5 when I did.

closer013

Anyone have any in depth info on this gem?
ZGPxUT2.jpg

I bought it almost 7 years ago and can find no RECENT talk about it.
It's production is supposedly numbered in the 150 range which would make it the rarest GBA game (I think.)
If you haven't played it, play it on a emulator NOW. You can still get the rom on the creators site HERE

DAT MUSIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKzpBKWZS14

batrush

Got around to putting an authentic Nintendo housing on that refurbished SP+ I bought a while back. Much, much better.

WAwNFg7l.jpg

Stay far away from those third-party replacement shells. Get a used SP if you don't have one laying around.

Peagles

Nice! I haven't opened an SP in years, but I did when I was a kid and I couldn't get my head around how to take off and put back on those round bits on the ends of the hinge. How did you do it?

batrush

Nice! I haven't opened an SP in years, but I did when I was a kid and I couldn't get my head around how to take off and put back on those round bits on the ends of the hinge. How did you do it?

Oh I didn't mess with the hinge area at all. I wanted to preserve the original build quality as much as possible (the hinge is still remarkably strong). So I just swapped out the screen and motherboard for the SP+ components. The only pain was removing those five screw covers on the top half.

Peagles

Oh I didn't mess with the hinge area at all. I wanted to preserve the original build quality as much as possible (the hinge is still remarkably strong). So I just swapped out the screen and motherboard for the SP+ components. The only pain was removing those five screw covers on the top half.

Ah okay, thanks. Looks like I just need to give it a go again. So you can remove everything without dismantling the hinge?

B.K.

Ah okay, thanks. Looks like I just need to give it a go again. So you can remove everything without dismantling the hinge?

Yeah. You don't have to take the hinge off. There's a little cover piece on the hinge that you take off after you get the back of the screen off so you can get the ribbon out. 1up had a good guide for taking apart a SP that I used when I put a 101 apart and put its screen in a Classic NES SP, but it's gone now that 1up is dead and I can't find a cache of it.

Edit: Here's another guide I just found.

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/tutorials/59/1-t1059/

Am I imagining things or is there a really noticeable input latency on the Gameboy Player? I tried comparing Mario 3 on GBP vs Mario 3 on SNES through the same inputs and it's like night and day...

I'm not even sure why. I'd imagine there would be 1 frame of latency for the GameCube to grab the frame from the GBA hardware but it feels way longer than that.

Rich!

Am I imagining things or is there a really noticeable input latency on the Gameboy Player? I tried comparing Mario 3 on GBP vs Mario 3 on SNES through the same inputs and it's like night and day...

I'm not even sure why. I'd imagine there would be 1 frame of latency for the GameCube to grab the frame from the GBA hardware but it feels way longer than that.

Theres a lot of latency. It doesnt run at the correct gba/gbc framerate, which is why SGB2 is the superior option for GB carts.

The framedrop annoys me as well but isn't such a big deal for slower moving games. But the latency totally kills any platformer. Maybe this is fine for RPGs but it's such a bummer.

I have Super Gameboy 2 as well. It's nice enough but still not ideal due to running at the wrong aspect ratio.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
New pickup! Now waiting for my Sonic Advance 2 copy to arrive, this one took a whole freaking month.

Paid €15 for each game which I think it's fair considering they're CiB shrink-wrapped new and pristine (if SA2 will be in the same conditions, hopefully)

And also have the cool protector box, all of my collection has them but unfortunately I'm missing a couple for JPN games (last one was used for Mr Driller 2) but shipping them is so goddamn expensive (more than $20) and makes no sense since I'm only gonna need 10 or 15 of them at the most before my GBA collection is complete with every game I want.

I wish I wasn't so bent over getting CiBs :(

There was a eBay seller that sold them in packs of 5,10 or 20. I ended up having to buy 60 of them. Sellers name was "gamemoviestuff" from the US. Shipped fast. Would buy from them again
Thanks, I may check their store out. My first preference is to just get a case where I can store lots of games together.

Top Bottom