• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

lol anyone ever see these crazy speaker grips for the GBMicro?

gbm-sa216_n.gif

http://www.green-house.co.jp/news/2006/r0222a.html

An overwhelming majority are glacier, but I have some fuchsia, and of course access to the new shells. If I use new shells I'll be keeping as much original parts as possible though (particularly buttons, and the bumper bits at the side because they are usually poorly casted).

Most are missing battery covers at the moment though so if anyone knows where I can get some of those shipped to NZ that would be appreciated! That or I'll offer a small discount for those without battery covers if people would rather buy their own.
Ah, that sounds good. I quite like the glacier. I think that's the one I owned back in 2001, can't quite remember though. It'll complete my little GBA collection. I have 2 SP 101s and a Micro.

Since Mario Pinball Land was boring, decided to bring it and an extra copy of SMB3 to 2nd and Charles today to trade in. Got $25 in store credit, which ain't bad!

Walked out with Capcom Classics: Mini Mix for $5 - I've always wanted to play Mighty Final Fight.

Highwind

Was installing a new glass lens as the lens on my shell was terrible, and when I was done I turned on my system but no picture was coming on. Saw that the solder point somehow detached so I assumed that was why.

Seemed like a simple fix, right? ....till I noticed a small tear on the lcd ribbon where it connects to the ribbon extension.....

Heart fucking FELL right through my arse after I noticed. New screens and gbas have doubled in price due to supply running out and I don't have the money for a replacement Looks like I won't be playing any gba games anymore......

I've taken my gba apart countless times and I've always been careful...so why now? :(

Okay, I gave up on finding my Dremel, and ended up picking up a small knife set at Ace Hardware. The set was onnly about $5, so you can imagine the low quality product I ended up using. It took a lot longer because the knifes were no good and I didn't have my other tools, but I'm really happy with the results.

Honestly, the Toys R Us Midnight Blue AGB is easily my favorite, and was my most sought-after back when I collected game hardware. I'm sure this mod won't be as exciting for anyone else as it is for me. Thanks GAFolks for the advice and occasional links.

A couple things to note. I didn't solder the wire because I can always do it later, and It's bright enough for me as it is now. Looking straight on, the colors are nice, and it's very clear. At a lower angle, the screen mostly whites out (was that the same on the AGB-101?). From a higher angle, the contrast improves a little, but it's mostly the opposite effect from the lower angle view. Also, despite being really careful, a carpet fiber managed to get on the screen. I'm going to ride it out, but I have a feeling it's going to get to me.

Here are a few pictures, but if you want to see more, I have an album on imgur.

Wow, nice work! The backlight mod on that Midnight Blue unit looks fantastic.

Peagles

Was installing a new glass lens as the lens on my shell was terrible, and when I was done I turned on my system but no picture was coming on. Saw that the solder point somehow detached so I assumed that was why.

Seemed like a simple fix, right? ....till I noticed a small tear on the lcd ribbon where it connects to the ribbon extension.....

Heart fucking FELL right through my arse after I noticed. New screens and gbas have doubled in price due to supply running out and I don't have the money for a replacement Looks like I won't be playing any gba games anymore......

I've taken my gba apart countless times and I've always been careful...so why now? :(

Aww man I'm so sorry that happened to you :(

Can you take a photo and post it? With some nifty soldering and some luck you may be able to reconnect the two points!

Is the shortage of replacement screens more a temporary thing....or forever and I should get a new one as soon as possible so I won't have to sell a kidney to pay for one in the near future ?

I wish I had grabbed one of those RCG-screens a few months ago :(

Rich!

Is the shortage of replacement screens more a temporary thing....or forever and I should get a new one as soon as possible so I won't have to sell a kidney to pay for one in the near future ?

I wish I had grabbed one of those RCG-screens a few months ago :(

They've ran out. It's a permanent thing.

If you don't buy a premodded system now, you'll never, ever get one. They're already doubling in price. Go on ebay and buy one. Now or never.

prateeko

I thought that not all AGS-101 screens would work with the adapters? Either way, the price for even the crappiest AGS-101s on eBay (with functioning screens) appears to be ~$40 and then the ribbon on top of that is ~$15, so I'm pretty pleased with the cruddy, beater AGB-101 I got for $60 from the super-deal shop. That said, if you can get your hands on a non-functioning AGS-101 (I think a few of them suffer from battery or wiring problems in the PCB, but the screen is what we care about) I'd still go that route if you have know how. Otherwise a $100 ABG-101 (with brighter light) isn't a bad option, especially if it includes shipping.

That said, I'm still waiting on Peagles and would love to send her my Suicune or Midnight Blue (JPN) GBA and have it modded with a 5-way switch since the beater AGB-101 I received isn't soldered in and I do miss the brightness of the AGS-101.

Peagles

I'll get my manly hands on it ASAP. I'm back at home now after being in and out over the past month so I can really sink my teeth into them starting tomorrow. I think I've got just about enough parts to cover everyone on the list so far but I have more systems on the way and I think I'll need to order another 5 fancy ribbon cables to complete the set. Got some battery covers coming soon too but I should be able to start sending some out over the next week. Still haven't got to the post office but hopefully I can get there tomorrow!

Gunsmithx

I'll get my manly hands on it ASAP. I'm back at home now after being in and out over the past month so I can really sink my teeth into them starting tomorrow. I think I've got just about enough parts to cover everyone on the list so far but I have more systems on the way and I think I'll need to order another 5 fancy ribbon cables to complete the set. Got some battery covers coming soon too but I should be able to start sending some out over the next week. Still haven't got to the post office but hopefully I can get there tomorrow!

such wonderful news to start the week :)

LAM09

I remember playing one of the Kirby games on GB back in the day, and I was thinking about sinking my teeth into the series once again.

What iterations would you guys recommend for GBA or DS?

They've ran out. It's a permanent thing.

If you don't buy a premodded system now, you'll never, ever get one. They're already doubling in price. Go on ebay and buy one. Now or never.

Or try to get on Peagles's list. That's what I'm waiting on. His look a lot better than anything you can get on Ebay.

Oh my.... . Really impressive, Peagles !

Is there still some room left on your list ? I wouldn´t have been able to solder the screen properly if my live depended on it, might as well buy it from someone with more talent :p .

Peagles

This makes me sad:

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk...ive-o-for-gameboy-advance-very-very-very-rare

How much do you think seller got from Cash Converters for the game?

Was going back through this thread to see if I missed anyone for my list and clicked this link again. The price has dropped and it says there have been 10 offers made, lol. I think they got greedy.

Oh my.... . Really impressive, Peagles !

Is there still some room left on your list ? I wouldn´t have been able to solder the screen properly if my live depended on it, might as well buy it from someone with more talent :p .

The list is.. fuller than I thought. But there's every chance some people might drop out so I can put you on it anyway. The only limiting thing is the amount of LCDs. I wish I'd ordered more. I have 17 sitting here but 2 of them have some funny looking pixels that bug me so maybe I'll just keep those two aside for now. There's 14 people on the list currently. I actually wonder if I should post the list so people can check that they're on it! Hopefully I haven't missed anyone particularly people who asked in this thread rather than PMing me.

I also checked out postage, and it's not too bad if I keep it small in volume. Not sure whether I'll enforce using tracked courier though...

I thought that not all AGS-101 screens would work with the adapters? Either way, the price for even the crappiest AGS-101s on eBay (with functioning screens) appears to be ~$40 and then the ribbon on top of that is ~$15, so I'm pretty pleased with the cruddy, beater AGB-101 I got for $60 from the super-deal shop. That said, if you can get your hands on a non-functioning AGS-101 (I think a few of them suffer from battery or wiring problems in the PCB, but the screen is what we care about) I'd still go that route if you have know how. Otherwise a $100 ABG-101 (with brighter light) isn't a bad option, especially if it includes shipping.

That said, I'm still waiting on Peagles and would love to send her my Suicune or Midnight Blue (JPN) GBA and have it modded with a 5-way switch since the beater AGB-101 I received isn't soldered in and I do miss the brightness of the AGS-101.

It's actually a issue with compatibility between the various 101 LCDs and the different revisions of the AGB-001. ALL 101 LCDs can be used for the mod, but some GBAs are NOT compatible with certain LCDs. Some LCDs can be used with any motherboard, while some can only be used with specific board revisions.

Rich!

I remember playing one of the Kirby games on GB back in the day, and I was thinking about sinking my teeth into the series once again.

What iterations would you guys recommend for GBA or DS?

Super Star Ultra is the greatest Kirby game ever made ever

The list is.. fuller than I thought. But there's every chance some people might drop out so I can put you on it anyway. The only limiting thing is the amount of LCDs. I wish I'd ordered more. I have 17 sitting here but 2 of them have some funny looking pixels that bug me so maybe I'll just keep those two aside for now. There's 14 people on the list currently. I actually wonder if I should post the list so people can check that they're on it! Hopefully I haven't missed anyone particularly people who asked in this thread rather than PMing me.

I also checked out postage, and it's not too bad if I keep it small in volume. Not sure whether I'll enforce using tracked courier though...

I keep my fingers crossed then. Thank you so much, even If don´t end up on the list :p !

prateeko

It's actually a issue with compatibility between the various 101 LCDs and the different revisions of the AGB-001. ALL 101 LCDs can be used for the mod, but some GBAs are NOT compatible with certain LCDs. Some LCDs can be used with any motherboard, while some can only be used with specific board revisions.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say (motherboard - LCD incompatibility), which I imagine would make finding the right LCD for a particular GBA tough). Also, is this Wiggy or just a generic RCG account?

I want to mod my own GBA , but based on some of the posts above it looks like they don't sell the back light mod kits anymore, is that true!? I can't find anything on rose colored gaming, and ebay seems dry as well. Is my only option buying a premodded at this point? I was really hoping to do it myself..

Peagles

I want to mod my own GBA , but based on some of the posts above it looks like they don't sell the back light mod kits anymore, is that true!? I can't find anything on rose colored gaming, and ebay seems dry as well. Is my only option buying a premodded at this point? I was really hoping to do it myself..

Supply of the LCDs dried up, so grab anything you can find IMO.

Peagles

Dang. Would you suggest finding a kit if I can on ebay, or is it better to spend the extra $100 or so for a premodded? Any pros and cons to either?

The advantage in the kits was the cheaper price, but I haven't seen any listed on eBay in some time now. If you want one, just grab whatever you can find. Cheapest I can find on eBay right now is about $100 USD for a premodded system, but there aren't many of them.

I've been meaning to buy the GBA Kirby games. They're pretty rare and/or super expensive. If anyone's selling them, please PM me. No fakes!
for those of you with an EZ Flash IV:

You all should already have the amazing Super Mario World GBA colour restoration patch. Now the same dude has finally released one for Super Mario Advance/SMB2.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2124/

nswadj.png

kpqejv.png

amazing.
Holy cow. I need this in my life. I need ot buy an EZ Flash IV. Best place to buy a non fake one, please?

P.S. I didn't even know about this colour hack.

So I got my GBA from that cheap ebay sellers from a few weeks back. OMG dat ghosting, is this normal? System itself is fine, a little beat up but ok for the price.

Did anyone confirm these are originals? Box looked super fake.

v1perz53

Eugh, finally got my GBA SP headphone adapter and it totally ruins the comfort of holding the system. Plus the sound quality out of it is mediocre. Oh well, don't plan on using it too much, I guess my girlfriend will just have to deal with GBA music.

So I got my GBA from that cheap ebay sellers from a few weeks back. OMG dat ghosting, is this normal? System itself is fine, a little beat up but ok for the price.

Did anyone confirm these are originals? Box looked super fake.

The box and even the casing of the system are undoubtedly fake. The only thing that can be original is the board itself, and you would have to check that for yourself to see. Still waiting on the one I bought.

prateeko

I've been meaning to buy the GBA Kirby games. They're pretty rare and/or super expensive. If anyone's selling them, please PM me. No fakes!Holy cow. I need this in my life. I need ot buy an EZ Flash IV. Best place to buy a non fake one, please?

P.S. I didn't even know about this colour hack.

What other color hacks are there and are these made because color palettes were modified to accommodate the shitty, OG AGB-001 screen?

Top Bottom