• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Theres a lot of latency. It doesnt run at the correct gba/gbc framerate, which is why SGB2 is the superior option for GB carts.
Huh, I've never known about this. You'd think that would the kind of thing that's often mentioned on GAF when GB Player comes up, especially given all the platformers and action titles on the GB and GBA. Then again, I feel like I'm the only one around here who's ever mentioning the lag inherent when playing PS1 games on a PS3 (disc or digital). Nobody seems to mind it, if they even notice. But racing games in particular are unplayable.

Well don't really know what to do about this...

Bought one of those $60 lite modded GBAs from the seller that was linked here a bunch of pages ago and just noticed that that ebay account has been closed. Haven't received it yet, but the original shipping estimation had till October on it, so don't know if I just just raise the issue now or wait longer for it not to come.

Well don't really know what to do about this...

Bought one of those $60 lite modded GBAs from the seller that was linked here a bunch of pages ago and just noticed that that ebay account has been closed. Haven't received it yet, but the original shipping estimation had till October on it, so don't know if I just just raise the issue now or wait longer for it not to come.

I received mine. When did you buy it?

It's cos they aren't airtight or nothing, dust can just breeze on in, it's a pain in the arse.

When I mod I always have to check it after a few hours cos there will be always be a few specks making their way in, even when I know I got it 100% clear before I put it back together.

You could try opening it up in the bathroom after a shower, the steam there should mean there's no rogue dust floating around. This is how I usually put on screen protectors, lol.

This can easily be fixed so that it doesn't happen again. Ever notice how there is an adhesive foam boarder which holds the original LCD in place? Well, just replace it with something similar. We did this to all of the GBAs we made in the last 6 months or so.

Alright so i just got my first Micro ever today!! Kinda pumped, but i am wondering since the screen is just so damn small (albeit awesome) what are some good games to play on it? I mean sure you can play em all but i can imagine something like Advance Wars with tons of tiny units might not be the BEST fit for a Micro right?

alienator

my custom gbMicro front and back ;)

53785_10153221225801164_5783158110588521173_n.jpg

10653853_10153221225811164_3007758239722062443_n.jpg

i got 2 cheapass Venom fronts (blue and pink) because my original front was scratched. and since they totally didnt match with the green gbMicro anyway i deceided to skin it with my own pixelart. Via this service: gba skins & more

baphomet

Well I never received my Chinese backlit GBA, and its been a month. Decided to go ahead and open a case, and it looks like the seller was banned from eBay. Doesn't mean anything inherintly bad as I was banned multiple times for selling modified consoles, but its still shitty. Seller said they shipped it but no tracking was ever uploaded.

Either way I got my money back, but was looking forward to messing with the GBA.

Peagles

This can easily be fixed so that it doesn't happen again. Ever notice how there is an adhesive foam boarder which holds the original LCD in place? Well, just replace it with something similar. We did this to all of the GBAs we made in the last 6 months or so.

Yeh I have tried that with the original foam on a few units, but I'm very very fussy and it doesn't stop all the dust. I'll open it up again to take even one speck out! It does seem to diminish with time though, the more I use them the less it happens.

Well I never received my Chinese backlit GBA, and its been a month. Decided to go ahead and open a case, and it looks like the seller was banned from eBay. Doesn't mean anything inherintly bad as I was banned multiple times for selling modified consoles, but its still shitty. Seller said they shipped it but no tracking was ever uploaded.

Either way I got my money back, but was looking forward to messing with the GBA.

Welp, glad you got your money back though.

Xhorder

Alright so i just got my first Micro ever today!! Kinda pumped, but i am wondering since the screen is just so damn small (albeit awesome) what are some good games to play on it? I mean sure you can play em all but i can imagine something like Advance Wars with tons of tiny units might not be the BEST fit for a Micro right?

I've been playing Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance on my Micro and they're fine on the tiny screen. I bought the Micro together with Zelda Minish Cap, which is also perfectly fine for it... and now that I think about it: even the time when I tried Advance Wars it was fine.

I've been playing Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance on my Micro and they're fine on the tiny screen. I bought the Micro together with Zelda Minish Cap, which is also perfectly fine for it... and now that I think about it: even the time when I tried Advance Wars it was fine.

good to know, i was kinda scared of reading tiny text bubbles on the Micro ;) i'll try it for myself later...

I received mine. When did you buy it?

Like the day after it was posted in this thread.

Guess I should do the same. Was waiting since there are people that said they got theirs in here already, but whatever.

Hello fellow Gameboy fans. Here are my latest pickups: Sonic Advance 2, Crash Bandicoot XS and a carrying case for my trusty little frontlit GBC:

GBPickups1_zpsf2a92d5a.jpg

GBPickups2_zps01821ced.jpg

Bought these off eBay. Messaged the seller a few times to ensure they were genuine, and thankfully they are. Woohoo. Now want to find Sonic Advance 1 and 3, if there was a third one.

Zalman

Are the Klonoa games on GBA any good? I want to get into the series, but people mostly talk about the PlayStation/Wii games.

So I ended up putting together a GBA OG with backlight on my own, and ordered that delicious Orange shell. It's....beautiful. Even more than I had expected. But, unfortunately there is some dust under the screen! Is it ok to just pry off the front screen and clean off the dust, and reapply a new screen I get online?

DontBlink

So I ended up putting together a GBA OG with backlight on my own, and ordered that delicious Orange shell. It's....beautiful. Even more than I had expected. But, unfortunately there is some dust under the screen! Is it ok to just pry off the front screen and clean off the dust, and reapply a new screen I get online?

You can easily take off the lens with a suction cup and take out any dust with a piece of tape. Others have mentioned it in this thread and it worked perfectly for me.

leroidys

Are the Klonoa games on GBA any good? I want to get into the series, but people mostly talk about the PlayStation/Wii games.

Beaten both and found them amongst the most overrated GBA games :/

next to astro boy and drill dozer. Don't kill me gaf.

prateeko

Like the day after it was posted in this thread.

Guess I should do the same. Was waiting since there are people that said they got theirs in here already, but whatever.

Did either of you get a shipping confirmation or a tracking number? I recieved it (pictured below) and it looks like the PCB is real but the LCD was placed a little off but for the price of the LCD kit I can't complain. Craftsmanship is atrocious though so the system will be transplanted into another...

CyZ2sdd.jpg

Did either of you get a shipping confirmation or a tracking number? I recieved it (pictured below) and it looks like the PCB is real but the LCD was placed a little off but for the price of the LCD kit I can't complain. Craftsmanship is atrocious though so the system will be transplanted into another...

http://i.imgur.com/CyZ2sdd.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

Got shipping confirmation weeks ago, but no tracking number. Now even the delivery estimate is gone (had until like October before) and just a message about that person no longer being a registered ebayer in it's place.

baphomet

CyZ2sdd.jpg

Yea a tracking number was never added, but it said it shipped on the 7th of last month I believe. Estimate was until the 8th of this month. I order a lot of electronic parts from China and only once have I ever waited this long to get them. I also messaged the seller asking for a tracking number and I would close the case. I've yet to get a reply.

Peagles

Was just putting B.K.'s AGB-101 through some testing and happened to get my highest ever WarioWare score. The blur is due to my heart rate being so high by the end I couldn't hold the camera steady ha! Sorry if it comes to you all sweaty B.K. lol :p

speaking of Warioware games, what is considered to be the best one? one of the GBA iterations or the DS ones? I might have to get me one, as it looks insanely cool :)

i suppose the decision has been made for me sigh :(

I just checked prices and the first game can be had for like 20 bucks used while Twisted's more like 60 used :( damnit

Peagles

i suppose the decision has been made for me sigh :(

I just checked prices and the first game can be had for like 20 bucks used while Twisted's more like 60 used :( damnit

Try the first one first then. If you love it, set your sights on Twisted.

I was incredibly lucky with Twisted back in the day, found it for $10 in the bargain bin soon after release. Never saw it for sale again. It's like they sent it out to die here in NZ.

Bit the bullet on the first one for 30 bucks (shipping included) after telling myself to slow down my gaming purchases for a while DAMN you guys ;) hopefully i won't be disappointed!

Honestly, I never had a problem with the GBA's screen size with any game until the last three or four years, and this year I just had to admit it's too small for these old eyes.... Granted, at 53 my eyes have a few more miles on 'em than most of you, but it pressed home for me the fact that these tiny scenes won't work for everyone. I loved my GBA while I could use it, but I'm grateful for my backlit original GBA in my old age ;)

I'm a little late on the Wario Ware talk. If you've never played one of the games, the first one is the best place to start, so good choice there - though I do hope for $30 it was CIB or it's being shipped from another country.

That's the only one where I unlocked everything...to this day, I'm still doing that on Twisted and Touched. I get on a kick where it's all I play, and then I cool off or start playing something else, and then move back to 'em. Great little games that ahead of their time, when you consider the apps of today.

I'm guessing (hoping) that's CIB?

Nah, they had some CIBs in pretty bad condition but those would be even more expensive i think... talking EU region btw. maybe the US version is cheaper...and yes it IS being shipped from another country so that makes up for quite a bit of the cost :(

TnK

This thread reminded me that there are a number of GBA games I want to get. Not a lot though, as I have most of the stuff I want to own.

JulianImp

So far I've tried looking for Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 while I was at Super Potato Akiba and at Book Off Ueno, to no avail. I guess I'll just keep on looking some more...

I almost got either Pokemon FireRed or LeafGreen, but I didn't because I wasn't sure if I could migrate mons from a JP cart into a US game or not. I'd really appreciate if anybody could clear that up for me.

So far I've tried looking for Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 while I was at Super Potato Akiba and at Book Off Ueno, to no avail. I guess I'll just keep on looking some more...

Do you speak Japanese at all (like even a bit) or have a friend with you that does? It would probably be easiest to ask someone at a retro game store for games like this that are somewhat rare.

Peagles

Nah, they had some CIBs in pretty bad condition but those would be even more expensive i think... talking EU region btw. maybe the US version is cheaper...and yes it IS being shipped from another country so that makes up for quite a bit of the cost :(

Ouch. Yeh I was looking on ebay.com. We are PAL here too but for GBA I always get what's cheapest since it's region free anyway.

Try the first one first then. If you love it, set your sights on Twisted.

I was incredibly lucky with Twisted back in the day, found it for $10 in the bargain bin soon after release. Never saw it for sale again. It's like they sent it out to die here in NZ.
I can't remember the price, but I got Twisted at a really cheap price too. I'm ashamed to say I've never played it though, it's sitting amongst my collection though. The original I spent hours on. Especially the skateboarding mini game.

prateeko

Yea a tracking number was never added, but it said it shipped on the 7th of last month I believe. Estimate was until the 8th of this month. I order a lot of electronic parts from China and only once have I ever waited this long to get them. I also messaged the seller asking for a tracking number and I would close the case. I've yet to get a reply.

Based on the tracking number mine took approximately 14 days to deliver. I remember being one of the first to order and honestly surprised when it shipped.

Gunsmithx

Let me know how it works out so I can do the same.

So far so good, finally found time to get it running (and remember to format it fat16) and its working well so far, only loaded up some 20 odd games atm, still need to set up goomba for gbc games too, well worth 40 bucks

putermcgee

speaking of Warioware games, what is considered to be the best one? one of the GBA iterations or the DS ones? I might have to get me one, as it looks insanely cool :)
Twisted was my favorite, but I feel like they're all pretty fun.

Was just putting B.K.'s AGB-101 through some testing and happened to get my highest ever WarioWare score. The blur is due to my heart rate being so high by the end I couldn't hold the camera steady ha! Sorry if it comes to you all sweaty B.K. lol :p
These are looking good.

I had a question that maybe you could answer easily. How can I remove the screen protector on an AGB-001 without taking apart the whole system? After playing with it some more, I've decided I can't stand the carpet fiber that managed to get on the screen before I sealed it off with a replacement glass screen protector. I've seen people talk about using a suction cup or something when replacing iPhone screens, but I don't know if it'll work just the same on a GBA, or if there's a special kind of suction cup to use. Thanks.

Rich!

These are looking good.

I had a question that maybe you could answer easily. How can I remove the screen protector on an AGB-001 without taking apart the whole system? After playing with it some more, I've decided I can't stand the carpet fiber that managed to get on the screen before I sealed it off with a replacement glass screen protector. I've seen people talk about using a suction cup or something when replacing iPhone screens, but I don't know if it'll work just the same on a GBA, or if there's a special kind of suction cup to use. Thanks.

Use one of those adhesive picture hooks you can get at any hardware store.

Edit: actually no. Do NOT do that. Didnt realize you have a glass lens. It will shatter, guaranteed, as I know all too well.

Peagles

These are looking good.

Depends how strongly you stuck it on, but yeh a suction cup should work. I usually just gently pry them off with my fingernails. I never use super strong adhesive though cos I know they'll usually need to come off at some point.

Just received my first GBA in the mail today. The condition is excellent! I never owned one, mainly because it launched right as I was getting married and quickly had kids after, so... yeah, no money. I owned an original Gameboy back in the early 90's and one of them was Tiny Toons, to pick this up again is a huge rush of nostalgia, I love it. I look forward to revisiting the old and playing the games I missed.

i36LgpZGbPYxz.JPG

putermcgee

Use one of those adhesive picture hooks you can get at any hardware store.

Edit: actually no. Do NOT do that. Didnt realize you have a glass lens. It will shatter, guaranteed, as I know all too well.
Ha, thanks for the warning.

Depends how strongly you stuck it on, but yeh a suction cup should work. I usually just gently pry them off with my fingernails. I never use super strong adhesive though cos I know they'll usually need to come off at some point.
My backlight kit came with a roll of thin, double-sided, black tape. I used that to stick the lens on (the screen too on the other side), but I'm thinking I only used two strips either horizontally or vertically. I'll give it a shot with a suction cup... maybe I can bring my GBA to the 100 yen shop and try with some of their cups to save a buck!

Peagles

Ha, thanks for the warning.

My backlight kit came with a roll of thin, double-sided, black tape. I used that to stick the lens on (the screen too on the other side), but I'm thinking I only used two strips either horizontally or vertically. I'll give it a shot with a suction cup... maybe I can bring my GBA to the 100 yen shop and try with some of their cups to save a buck!

Should be pretty easy to pry off then, good luck!

Just received my first GBA in the mail today. The condition is excellent! I never owned one, mainly because it launched right as I was getting married and quickly had kids after, so... yeah, no money. I owned an original Gameboy back in the early 90's and one of them was Tiny Toons, to pick this up again is a huge rush of nostalgia, I love it. I look forward to revisiting the old and playing the games I missed.
Enjoy. There are so many games for you to enjoy, watch out for the fakes though. Way too many counterfeits knocking around.

Top Bottom