• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I just ordered the Castlevania Double Pack for the GBA (AoS and HoD on the same cart) on ebay.

$35 and it looks like it is in great condition. Can't wait for it! :D

Rich!

i love my GB micro and ez flash

goomba color works awesome on this thing.. are the other emulators any good (snes, genesis,etc..)?

nah, snes one is shit, sega doesn't work properly. GB/GBC works well because the console has the same hardware inside

pocketnes is great. there's a gamegear/mastersystem emulator thats pretty good too

nah, snes one is shit, sega doesn't work properly. GB/GBC works well because the console has the same hardware inside

pocketnes is great. there's a gamegear/mastersystem emulator thats pretty good too

I think the Micro is lacking some integral GBC hardware, so goomba doesn't work for as many games on the micro as on a normal GBA. Or atleast I'm pretty sure that's the case. For example, Pokemon Crystal won't run properly on a micro.

Apparently there's a good NES emulator, but I don't know what it is.

DontBlink

It has happened again, I bought a game I already have...

Anyone interested in purchasing boxed copies of DBZ: Supersonic Warriors or Worms World Party? PM for more details.

D.Lo

My double biverted Backlit OG GB:

7WdCkgI.jpg

Mkj1pDB.jpg

So good it's ridiculous.
Modded my original Game Boy that I got for my 11th Birthday in 1990.
I tried a green backlight to match the original vibe better for a while, but nothing beats the clarity of the white.

And yes I do love the Original Castlevania Adventure. It's a glitchy mess but a gorgeous glitchy mess.

D.Lo

Did you get that kit from Nonfinite? Want to mod a GBP but confused as all hell whether to get the normal or inverted kit.
Yeah got the light from nonfinite.
If you do inverted, you have to get another controller chip to reverse the polarity of the screen as well. It's the only way to get a result this good.

D.Lo

Thanks! So just to be clear, to get the screen looking "normal" like you do, I have to get an inverted kit?
No, mine is inverted twice - once digitally (by reversing the polarity of the screen with an additional chip), and then again with the polarisation film.

If you put an inverted screen straight in, you'll get image quality as good as mine, but reversed polarity (black=white, white=black). A non-inverted screen will have the correct image, but doesn't come out as sharp as double inverted.

So it depends on your skill level etc. The screen installation is fairly easy apart from removing the reflective film, which was a pain. But the biversion chip is tricky - about as tricky as mod-chipping or RGB modding a console.

putermcgee

I'd like to think I'm technically minded. I mean, I've modded consoles, installed one of those old Afterburner kits in a GBA with a toggle, and recently modded another GBA with a backlight...

But I simply don't understand the whole inverted, biverted, inverse flip-flopped polarization film business with these GB/GBP mods. And the above posts only make me more confused. Maybe I'm getting old.

Reminds me to ask, how difficult is it to frontlight mod a GBC? it's basically just soldering two wires, yeah? The various tutorials I find seem to be either way too basic or way too technically minded.

Rich!

Reminds me to ask, how difficult is it to frontlight mod a GBC? it's basically just soldering two wires, yeah? The various tutorials I find seem to be either way too basic or way too technically minded.

it's easy to do.

it's bloody difficult to do right.

Rich!

I did one before using the AGS-001 frontlight method (thought it was the DS light I used, remembered wrong). I thought it looked kinda poor, but the guy I sold it to was very impressed.

so I guess it depends on your standards

I did one before using the DS backlight method. I thought it looked kinda poor, but the guy I sold it to was very impressed.

so I guess it depends on your standards

Well I used a frontlit SP for a very long time without even realizing there was a better alternative (and not realizing the difference between my friend's and mine other than a bit of clarity) so I think I'd cope hahaha. The main issue is that I want whatever I invest my money into to be the best, even if I'd be fine with something suboptimal. It's a frustrating quirk.

D.Lo

I'd like to think I'm technically minded. I mean, I've modded consoles, installed one of those old Afterburner kits in a GBA with a toggle, and recently modded another GBA with a backlight...

But I simply don't understand the whole inverted, biverted, inverse flip-flopped polarization film business with these GB/GBP mods. And the above posts only make me more confused. Maybe I'm getting old.
Inverterd+inverted=normal. So in order to use a screen inverted with the polarisation filter non-inverted, you have to also interrupt the internal signal to the screen and reverse its polarity.

The polarisation film looks best when inverted, so for the best normal pic you invert twice as above.

I'll link to some pics when I'm home.

I have the GB Boy Colour. The sound is a little off on some titles because it doesn't run with the same frequency as an official GB. The resolution is also squished on 'em.

TBH even with those issues I'd rather have one of those than a frontlit GBC.

Peagles

No, mine is inverted twice - once digitally (by reversing the polarity of the screen with an additional chip), and then again with the polarisation film.

If you put an inverted screen straight in, you'll get image quality as good as mine, but reversed polarity (black=white, white=black). A non-inverted screen will have the correct image, but doesn't come out as sharp as double inverted.

So it depends on your skill level etc. The screen installation is fairly easy apart from removing the reflective film, which was a pain. But the biversion chip is tricky - about as tricky as mod-chipping or RGB modding a console.

Looks great. Did you get the biversion chip included in their kit or did you have to buy it separately?

Dang! I was about to ask the same question, do you happen to know anything about these kits? They seeeeeeeemed pretty straightforward, but idk, it seems deceptively simple

Otherwise i may get one of these but i'd rather have an official gbc

From my own research, installing that would be relatively simple. the issue is that if you just install it raw, it won't turn out very nice. you can adjust the brightness and give it a nicer "finish" which raises the quality substantially. I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.

Pizza

From my own research, installing that would be relatively simple. the issue is that if you just install it raw, it won't turn out very nice. you can adjust the brightness and give it a nicer "finish" which raises the quality substantially. I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.

thats doable! i figured i'd need to do a bit more, the "101" instructions using loca seem possible, but I know i'd wind up with a couple frustrating bubbles i'd never ever be able to get out. is there a way to dim the brightness or raise the contrast? I cant seem to find anything online with making them not look washed out

otherwise i may just deal with getting an sp backlight instead, since those look nice enough for me. i'd rather get the kit though, since it seems more durable

thats doable! i figured i'd need to do a bit more, the "101" instructions using loca seem possible, but I know i'd wind up with a couple frustrating bubbles i'd never ever be able to get out. is there a way to dim the brightness or raise the contrast? I cant seem to find anything online with making them not look washed out

otherwise i may just deal with getting an sp backlight instead, since those look nice enough for me. I'd rather get the kit though, since it seems more durable

It's possible to hardwire in dimmer brightness when you solder in the light, but the contrast isn't gonna happen. Frontlights just inherently wash out the image. That's why the backlit SP models are so highly sought after.

Pizza

It's possible to hardwire in dimmer brightness when you solder in the light, but the contrast isn't gonna happen. Frontlights just inherently wash out the image. That's why the backlit SP models are so highly sought after.

that's good enough for me! i know i wont get anywhere near the backlit sp's quality, but if i could even get the brightness half-way down from the factory default i'd be pleased as heck. my front lit sp never bothered me, so as long as i could get closer to the sp backlit example shown here here that'd be rad. not sure how easy that'd actually be to acheive, though

that's good enough for me! i know i wont get anywhere near the backlit sp's quality, but if i could even get the brightness half-way down from the factory default i'd be pleased as heck. my front lit sp never bothered me, so as long as i could get closer to the sp backlit example shown here here that'd be rad. not sure how easy that'd actually be to acheive, though

My guess is it's not very easy :\ Might ask around to see if anyone has lots of experience with that sort of mod. It doesn't seem terribly popular, so I've struggled to find as much information as, say, the GBA blacklight mod. Goodluck.

Pizza

My guess is it's not very easy :\ Might ask around to see if anyone has lots of experience with that sort of mod. It doesn't seem terribly popular, so I've struggled to find as much information as, say, the GBA blacklight mod. Goodluck.

thanks! i did some more searching and using a gba sp frontlight seems to be the better option for easy image quality, this guide seems to highlight it nicely, the image quality seems really good and it's only some wiring, which i think i can handle.

My double biverted Backlit OG GB:

So good it's ridiculous.
Modded my original Game Boy that I got for my 11th Birthday in 1990.
I tried a green backlight to match the original vibe better for a while, but nothing beats the clarity of the white.

And yes I do love the Original Castlevania Adventure. It's a glitchy mess but a gorgeous glitchy mess.

Wow, that's seriously awesome. First time I've personally seen an OG Phatboy backlight modded.

sgjackson

Thinking of setting aside some cash to get a GBC and a handful of games. It looks like most of the systems on Ebay are missing battery covers and I know save batteries are an issue, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look out for hardware-wise.

Right now I'm hoping to get a system and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, Mario Golf, Tetris DX, and Pokemon TCG for around 50 bucks. Later on I'll look to flesh out the collection, but those are the games I'd look to keep with me somewhat permanently.

Thinking of setting aside some cash to get a GBC and a handful of games. It looks like most of the systems on Ebay are missing battery covers and I know save batteries are an issue, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should look out for hardware-wise.

Right now I'm hoping to get a system and Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, Mario Golf, Tetris DX, and Pokemon TCG for around 50 bucks. Later on I'll look to flesh out the collection, but those are the games I'd look to keep with me somewhat permanently.

You can find replacement battery covers around the web. Pretty trivial to find if you look for them. You might want to invest into a frontlit model though since the lack of any lighting on the GBC can be a serious issue.

hitgirl

Got all these for next to nothing from a nice dude. Was happy because I wanted Metal Gear and Mario but wasn't about to pay that much for a GBC game.

4bkKS5Ll.jpg

sgjackson

You can find replacement battery covers around the web. Pretty trivial to find if you look for them. You might want to invest into a frontlit model though since the lack of any lighting on the GBC can be a serious issue.

Is modding the system yourself as easy as it seems? It looks like you can buy third-party backlights which, while not trivial, seem very doable to install.

Is modding the system yourself as easy as it seems? It looks like you can buy third-party backlights which, while not trivial, seem very doable to install.

If you scroll up a bit, we talked about that exact thing. :p

The general consensus is that there's a large difference between a well done lit GBC and a poorly done one. It depends on how tolerant you are to washed out screen/poor contrast and how picky you are about the brightness.

prateeko

If you scroll up a bit, we talked about that exact thing. :p

The general consensus is that there's a large difference between a well done lit GBC and a poorly done one. It depends on how tolerant you are to washed out screen/poor contrast and how picky you are about the brightness.
Is there anyone in NA who does a good job? I'd love to get my GBC front lit so it's similar to the AGS-001 but not washed out.

Been playing Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak recently after watching a speedrun on twitch. I had played this game as a kid, but I'd forgotten about it. It probably looks ridiculously inane from the outside, but it's a good -- if flawed -- puzzle adventure game.

Your goal is to rescue various hamsters from the evil hamster Spat who is running around ruining people's relationships. Throughout play, you uncover items and words (emotes, by modern definition) which allow you to progress. It can be a bit arbitrary and ridiculous at times, but for the most part the puzzles are a good balance of approachable and making you think. I'd recommend it to anyone who's bored and likes their games adorable. If they like puzzles too, then it's a must have.

Is there anyone in NA who does a good job? I'd love to get my GBC front lit so it's similar to the AGS-001 but not washed out.

I have absolutely no clue. There honestly doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what sites and individuals do which mods at a given time. You generally can hunt around various console mod/retro game forums and find recommendations though.

B.K.

What are some good rechargeable batteries? I really need to get some, but I've never bought rechargeable AAs before.

What are some good rechargeable batteries? I really need to get some, but I've never bought rechargeable AAs before.

I use eneloop batteries, but any kind of Low self-discharge NiMH ones should be ok. Don't get regular NiMH ones though, those are crap.

I use Duracell rechargeables in my GBA, GB Light and my Wiimotes, highly recommend them. Get the Duracell 15 minute charger which is super convenient and comes with two batteries.

woodypop

Got a couple GBA games from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo a few days ago:

045FDAFB-8044-4180-BA51-3454FEB14A63_zpsafkakijo.jpg

Excited to try Sonic Pinball Party. And I've read good things about Counter Punch (it even got a mention in Retro Gamer's feature on the Punch Out! series). Seems it's one of the better boxing games on the GBA. Paid about $4 for each of them.

prateeko

I use Enloop and also the rechargeable Amazon ones which I read good things about and was able to buy for a very reasonable price during a sale...

Sora_N

Buying a purple GBA off someone for $15 tomorrow, will be my first GBA. He doesn't have the battery cover though. Is there somewhere/way I can get one? I see some on eBay lol.

I have no idea where my GBC went so other than for my collection purposes, I may use this to play some of my GB/C games again. :)

putermcgee

It's available CIB for <$20 in Japan. I got one for 1950 yen back in May... but during my two weeks there I saw it for even cheaper. I think I saw CIB in store for as little as 1200 yen.

I'm not sure what would keep prices down other than it just not being rare, Japan tending to keep boxes, and a healthy supply of used games. Maybe your $50 was just a blip?
Just to confirm, I found three boxed copies at a shop today for 1550 yen each. If I knew the sticker sheet was definitely in there, I would buy one of them.

Top Bottom