• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

kwheaties

It's quite variable.

It depends on your collection, how complete things are, and their quality. Happy to help here if you want advice (and the B/S/T thread is good too since you can avoid fees buy selling person-to-person whereas eBay/PayPal take up a chunk of your final cost)

Any help would be appreciated. I need to take a pic of all the games with boxes/instructions and post later to get some feedback...

John Blade

Just wondering if anyone here is interested in Nintendo DS case as I just got myself a big batch and was suppose to use it for my GBA collection but it look like I won't have the time to do it now. Just want to see any interested in it as I don't want to throw it away.... Need to look into the cost and see how much it will be.

Teknoman

Yup i'll always watch his reviews.

Cave Noire looks pretty cool...too bad the the repro scene isnt that big on Game Boy. Could feel my way through like other action games/Super Robot Wars PS3 games.

Yup i'll always watch his reviews.

Cave Noire looks pretty cool...too bad the the repro scene isnt that big on Game Boy. Could feel my way through like other action games/Super Robot Wars PS3 games.

I picked up the cart a few years ago off an old select button recommendation thread. Rocking the English fan translation on my Everdrive GB. That's probably your best bet.

Highwind

Nearly got my boxed copies of the Japanese Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon games in. They are great. Some of the conditions are less than ideal but not completely fucked so I am not complaining.

Dunno if it's just me, but has shipping from Japan to the UK been quick for anyone else? I used to expect stuff to come from Japan in 2 weeks but now when I've ordered stuff it usually comes in 5-7 days and that's still with the cheap shipping option. Happened with Vesperia PS3 as well and that was 2 years ago.

Nearly got my boxed copies of the Japanese Gen 1 & 2 Pokemon games in. They are great. Some of the conditions are less than ideal but not completely fucked so I am not complaining.

Dunno if it's just me, but has shipping from Japan to the UK been quick for anyone else? I used to expect stuff to come from Japan in 2 weeks but now when I've ordered stuff it usually comes in 5-7 days and that's still with the cheap shipping option. Happened with Vesperia PS3 as well and that was 2 years ago.
I'm not in the UK, but Japanese shipping seems hugely variable in my experience. Sometimes it's 2 weeks for a couple bucks, sometimes it's a month for a bit more. Sometimes faster. I don't get it.

I'm curious what prices you got for the pokemon games, I'm looking to get Japanese cib for them.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
I was running out of ideas, hoped a community this large could help me out.

Metal Gear for Gameboy Color was something I never could finish but enjoyed, a lot. I recently with how filthy things got with older cart based home systems to buy GB/GBC stuff again and have amassed quite a bit lately and MGS I've been looking at once more. The problem is I know I couldn't finish it again, the faux stealth stuff with weird ways they're setup just never gets me so I avoid it, other than MGS stuff here and there.

The point, EGM back in 2000 in some issue, either it was in a baggy as a fold out, or it's a fold out poster inside the standard issue there is a full front and back page strategy guide for the game with all the maps printed out in full color with help to work your way around all the places in the game. I want to find it. I've had no luck for days now going through google, asking over at Digital Press, and going down through sites like ebay hoping to get lucky. Recently one sold on there, I wrote the guy, and he said he couldn't remember where it came from as far as the issues go.

Do any of you have a clue? I'm more than willing to poke around ebay, amazon or whatever and buy the issue for the poster, but I need to know which one.

I have the pics from the auction if it helps, wish these weren't angled as they'd be usable.

MGSGBC1_zpsuzsc12rt.jpg

MGSGBC2_zpsbznenf2y.jpg

this is one of those times that a really dedicated or really massive forum might help. I'd hit up reddit (/r/gamecollecting perhaps) and assembler. Though maybe someone here can help you out. Goodluck.

Highwind

I'm not in the UK, but Japanese shipping seems hugely variable in my experience. Sometimes it's 2 weeks for a couple bucks, sometimes it's a month for a bit more. Sometimes faster. I don't get it.

I'm curious what prices you got for the pokemon games, I'm looking to get Japanese cib for them.

Hi NormalFish, sorry for the late reply.

My first boxed Japanese Pokemon game was Red, which I got years ago. I can't remember the price exactly but I know it was within the £12 range from France.

Blue I got for £15.76. Condition isn't ideal from the picture and I might have paid too much for it considering it wasn't the CoroCoro edition but retail re-release version (from what I can tell) but it was the cheapest I could find and had everything. I'll see how it is when I get it but the other ones weren't much cheaper and some were in even worse condition.

Yellow cost me around £18.97 but that came with everything and was in really good condition. It can vary from between £10-17 if you want to be reasonable.

Green will likely be the most expensive of the bunch for you. Even then I managed to find it for £12.70 (with Paypal credit). Shop around and make sure you know the condition as you're likely looking at around $30 if you're American. My one has two white (small) scratches on the side but I got it for "cheap" so I can't be picky. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Gen 2 games were the cheapest in my opinion and for what I got it was a good deal. £9.72 for Gold and £9.12 for Silver which all came with the inserts and the cartridges. The boxes were damaged a little but not so much that it was a pain in the ass to deal with so I am happy. Crystal cost me £11.82 and along with Red is not in great condition but at the time I couldn't really spend big so it'll do. I might upgrade the boxes on both Crystal and Red sometime later in the year. It came with all the inserts.

The prices I listed have shipping added in and are what I got on eBay which was my only option.

Of all of my boxed sets, I'd say the ones that stung me the most were Yellow and Blue. Yellow however is the best one I have condition wise while its a tie between Crystal and Red for the worst. I still haven't gotten Blue yet and in general I am a bit worried but it seems OK when compared to Red and Crystal so I'll likely leave that without upgrading later down the line. For me these were cheap but I'd say you're looking at spending a minimum if you get lucky of $10 for Gold and Silver, and within the $12 - $30 ($36 for Green) for the rest. They're much cheaper (and nicer) than the boxed English copies and you usually get everything but you're still spending quite a bit.

Does anyone know of a safe and reputable site i could send my original GB and GBC to have screens replaced and backlit mods added to it? Don't trust myself to do it but would love to enjoy my old systems again.

Does anyone know of a safe and reputable site i could send my original GB and GBC to have screens replaced and backlit mods added to it? Don't trust myself to do it but would love to enjoy my old systems again.

GBC doesn't support backlight mods (just frontlight only), ut you might want to check out some pre-built ones on stores like kitsch-bent or possibly even etsy.

The lenses (assuming that's what you mean by screens) are super easy, you can do those yourself. For mods, there are quite a few people. I'm a fan of Thursday customs work, thou they don't take a ton of orders and may be busy at the moment. Rosecoloredgaming isn't my favourite, but I think they do that sort of thing. This guy (reddit.com/r/Koji_Kendo) did my GBC, and he's fantastic.

**it may be easier to buy via eBay, by the way. Instead of sending your in to someone.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I may just end up buying one from one of the stores mentioned or ebay. Going through a bit of an old school handheld renaissance right now. Also going to order a reproduction cart of For the frog the bell tolls as wellthanks to the brief appearance in Smash Bros lol.

Surgery was successful that I performed on on my backlit AGB-001 speaker. Not the greatest soldering job, but for the first time doing it, it's good enough. Now to get RGB out of all of my consoles.

They've had about an even number of complaints and compliments in this thread's life.

They do nice paint jobs, but my GBC from them has terrible buttons (start button barely works) and the batteries cover was loose and fell by itself since day 1.

Maybe they got better with time, but I'm not willing to give them another chance despite how much I want one of those NGPC.

They've had about an even number of complaints and compliments in this thread's life.

They do nice paint jobs, but my GBC from them has terrible buttons (start button barely works) and the batteries cover was loose and fell by itself since day 1.

Maybe they got better with time, but I'm not willing to give them another chance despite how much I want one of those NGPC.

Yeah, lots of complaints over all. I just don't see any reason to go with them when you can go with Thursday Customs or one of the seemingly hundreds of other reliable modders who will do it for cheaper.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
Whoa... I completely forgot about that game. I still have a like new boxed copy in my old video game cabinet at home. Wonder if the battery is still kicking?

I could 99% guarantee you it does. Play it, or make money and sell it. The MGS fans have jacked it up to a nice price if you're into the flipping thing.

Anyway I see that GBC/A mods and screen were brought up since I last posted. 2 months ago I lucked into a $3 (traded 5 kids games in for $7) GBA jackpot find with a case, a white GBA without a mark on it that was barely used, and a few solid games. The screen had a few scuffs so I got an OEM replacement and put that to it. I want to light this thing up, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a cheap 101 screen to do it with. I have the tools, can get the adapter ribbon easily enough, but I need that panel.

The GBC isn't an issue though that kitsch-bent screen for a few bucks will front light it, but it kind of washes out supposedly unless you find some Osaka 7 LOCA and apply that to mesh them together. I have a GBC of similar quality (bought off adult couple who bought it, no kids, never used it, stored it.) I should do that one too but not sure.

Anyone here really buying old GB/GBC stuff lately or playing it? I've picked up a crap load of games on the very cheap for like 95% of it in the last month or so (like 50+ games.) I'm trying to buy back my old stuff that aged well while throwing into the mix some goodies I never had before, plus experimenting with some stuff that looks interesting because it's so cheap. The mystery of it is kind of nice.

Peagles

I could 99% guarantee you it does. Play it, or make money and sell it. The MGS fans have jacked it up to a nice price if you're into the flipping thing.

Anyway I see that GBC/A mods and screen were brought up since I last posted. 2 months ago I lucked into a $3 (traded 5 kids games in for $7) GBA jackpot find with a case, a white GBA without a mark on it that was barely used, and a few solid games. The screen had a few scuffs so I got an OEM replacement and put that to it. I want to light this thing up, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a cheap 101 screen to do it with. I have the tools, can get the adapter ribbon easily enough, but I need that panel.

The GBC isn't an issue though that kitsch-bent screen for a few bucks will front light it, but it kind of washes out supposedly unless you find some Osaka 7 LOCA and apply that to mesh them together. I have a GBC of similar quality (bought off adult couple who bought it, no kids, never used it, stored it.) I should do that one too but not sure.

Anyone here really buying old GB/GBC stuff lately or playing it? I've picked up a crap load of games on the very cheap for like 95% of it in the last month or so (like 50+ games.) I'm trying to buy back my old stuff that aged well while throwing into the mix some goodies I never had before, plus experimenting with some stuff that looks interesting because it's so cheap. The mystery of it is kind of nice.

Just so you know, you probably won't find a cheap 101 panel. They've been out of production for some time and supply dried up last year.

-Tanooki-

Neo Member
I know, but one can hope. I'm keeping an eye out and putting out feelers at a couple shops when I'm in asking for one if they take in a box of stuff and a broken 101 is in there that I'd take it off their hands. Also watching for a truly thrashed but serviceable one at a flea market random table I can talk down to a few bucks due to damages. Since it's internal I don't really care how broken or jacked up the system is if I can get the panel out.

If anyone is after some good protection for their GBA SP, I can recommend this Airform case. I bought it from eBay years ago for less than £5, I think. It's a cheap case buy protects my system well:

Airform%20Case_1_zpskena43ue.jpg

Airform%20Case_2_zpsqt01alsj.jpg

Can store two games on it. If you read the text on the front, it says:

The case that a game machine is protected safety
What a hit, hah. Think I had it shipped over from Hong Kong. I don't think these are easy to come by these day though.

Has anyone played Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 1 and 2? I recently picked up a mint copy of the 2nd game, complete in box, and I'm really looking forward to playing it.

That being said, I read that it's a sequel to the first game. I plan on picking up the first game at some point, so should I wait to play the first game first? Am I going to be missing anything in the story if I start with the second?

Cedric

Figured this would be the place to ask this: do loose Gameboy cartridges have any significant value? I have about 15 Gameboy games that have been stored in a box untouched for about ten years now...because they lack boxes I don't really see myself displaying them with my game collection, but if they fetch under 10 I won't bother trying to get rid of them. I know the price probably varies a lot from game to game, but I just wanted to get a general idea.

Highwind

Figured this would be the place to ask this: do loose Gameboy cartridges have any significant value? I have about 15 Gameboy games that have been stored in a box untouched for about ten years now...because they lack boxes I don't really see myself displaying them with my game collection, but if they fetch under 10 I won't bother trying to get rid of them. I know the price probably varies a lot from game to game, but I just wanted to get a general idea.

What games?

There are a handful of expensive GB games, like Trip World, but most are either dirt cheap or just somewhat valuable. The Pokemon games are fairly valuable, especially Crystal, so if you don't have any attachment to those games you could get a good price. If you have any of the Dragon Warrior games for GBC most of those also have a pretty good value today.

Cedric

Alright, thanks for the info. Off the top of my head I have Pokémon Red, Blue and Gold, Megaman II, Wario Land 2 and 3, Yoshi's Cookie, Mickey Mouse Magical Wand, Super Mario Land II, Donkey Kong Land... I think that's about it.

I suppose I could also box them myself for display purposes as well.

Alright, thanks for the info. Off the top of my head I have Pokémon Red, Blue and Gold, Megaman II, Wario Land 2 and 3, Yoshi's Cookie, Mickey Mouse Magical Wand, Super Mario Land II, Donkey Kong Land... I think that's about it.

I suppose I could also box them myself for display purposes as well.

That's at least $80, more if you sell separately. Mega man and the pokemons are the most valuable ones.

goldenpp72

Hey guys, awhile back I think in this topic I saw people rocking original GBA portables but with traditional backlit screens, is that feasible to have done these days and if so for how much? I'm looking to pick one up and want to know if that's out of my range or if I should just get the normal non back lit one..

Top Bottom