• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

B.K.

The worst thing about those modded GBAs is the battery life. Mine only gets about two hours use before I have to put in new batteries.

womp

The worst thing about those modded GBAs is the battery life. Mine only gets about two hours use before I have to put in new batteries.

Never have that problem here at all. I get a good 6 hours easy. I know the modded GB Pockets are notorious for poor power consumption but....sorry, that is just not my experience whatsoever with this GBA mod.

Try some Duracells :p

goldenpp72

Guess i'll bail on the idea of having a backlit gba original mode, shame really. I wonder what caused the prices to spike up..

I guess I could ask here, I plan to also pick up a GB micro, is there a way to tell if the packaging is the US release? I see a lot of them on eBay and they all seem to have various packaging.

womp

Guess i'll bail on the idea of having a backlit gba original mode, shame really. I wonder what caused the prices to spike up..

To put it short: The after market supply of the 3rd party screens that were discovered fairly recently ran out and there are no more to be found nor being manufactured. :(

Obviously that doesn't stop someone from gutting an SP screen and shoving it into a OG GBA shell with a little bit of work though.

I guess I could ask here, I plan to also pick up a GB micro, is there a way to tell if the packaging is the US release? I see a lot of them on eBay and they all seem to have various packaging.

In short, the NA packaging was way bigger

game-boy-micro-us-packaging-20050912055715121-000.jpg

Does anyone else prefer the GBA SP to a backlit modded GBA? I've had both and I really think I prefer the SP.

Of course, I also have pretty small hands, so that might have something to do with it. I also like how much more portable it is though, since I don't have to worry about scratching the screen when I stick it in my pocket.

Does anyone else prefer the GBA SP to a backlit modded GBA? I've had both and I really think I prefer the SP.

Of course, I also have pretty small hands, so that might have something to do with it. I also like how much more portable it is though, since I don't have to worry about scratching the screen when I stick it in my pocket.

I have a front lit SP and I do like the portability and the feel of the dpad and buttons, but the AGB just fits so right in my hands.

prateeko

Can anyone recommend a good place to get the ribbon cable for a backlit screen transplant? Most places on eBay look shady.

All of those sellers are fine.

And to correct a point about the backlit screens used for the AGB-101 mod, all of these screens have always been made by third parties and then installed into the Nintendo consoles. Nintendo doesn't make LCDs. I dunno if they were surpluses (i.e. AGS-101 screens that did not have the covers installed) or somehow defective/didn't meet QC, but they clearly were not being actively manufactured (or on the off chance that they were the facilities that were making them shifted to something more lucrative).

To the individual with worse battery life with the AGB-101: there is something wrong. Because of the improvement in LCD technology from the time the AGB-001 came out to the AGS-101 the modified AGB-101 (backlit OG GBAs) actually get BETTER battery life.

I don't like the softness of the SP's controls and shoulder buttons compared to the original AGB-001 tbh. Just down to personal preference.

To the individual with worse battery life with the AGB-101: there is something wrong. Because of the improvement in LCD technology from the time the AGB-001 came out to the AGS-101 the modified AGB-101 (backlit OG GBAs) actually get BETTER battery life.

Absolutely. Here is a battery test on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op45jlPyFl8

Yeah, awesome link! Just watched his Game Gear mod and holy crap does that look complicated. I was considering picking one up to repair but i don't think I have the chops for it.

prateeko

I don't like the softness of the SP's controls and shoulder buttons compared to the original AGB-001 tbh. Just down to personal preference.

Absolutely. Here is a battery test on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op45jlPyFl8

Yeah, that's the video I saw previously. If you're getting worse time with the AGS-101 screen there may be an issue with the cable/soldering or the batteries you're using (since presumably you've replaced the AGB-001's screen with the new one and cannot do head to heads like the video)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I can't find pics of the board for Metroid Zero Mission EUR anywhere, any help guys?
I either found the most amazingly done fake ever or the legit EUR board is a different than I remember (I don't have my other copy here with me so I can't compare them myself).

Basically I need to look at the pins, since even tho the holes are at the top they're in a way I've never seen before on any other cart.

Thanks!

dcx4610

The Micro and SP are definitely my preferred way of playing GBA. The d-pad just doesn't feel precise enough especially in the diagonal directions on the original model.

Unless you have big hands, I would just go with the Micro or AGS- 101 SP. The screens are virtually identical in brightness and color and really comes down to preference on screen size or design.

The micro screen is definitely higher quality than the AGS101 screen, and not just because of pixel density. It looks much nicer in motion.

psylah

Got a new screen lens for my pink GBP, but the fit is off, it's just slightly too big and bows up in the middle.

Where do you guys buy your lenses from?

With the twins coming I decided to put my boxed copy of Ninja Five-O up on ebay. I've got it with a low starting bid with 7 days. Let's see how it does. Anything over $9.99 will be OK.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to ask once again, but could the experts here help me determine if this is a fake before I buy it? I know I could look at the pins if I have the cart in my hands, but I'm not super-confortable moving to meet the seller only to decline if it looks like a fake...

$_27.JPG

Sorry to ask once again, but could the experts here help me determine if this is a fake before I buy it? I know I could look at the pins if I have the cart in my hands, but I'm not super-confortable moving to meet the seller only to decline if it looks like a fake...

$_27.JPG

Not really much to go on to be honest. If it's fake they printed the right label, but it's not like we can identify anything else from that pic.

just ask for a picture of the opening in the cart. you'll be bale to see from there. There's really very little anyone can tell you about it's authenticity with that sort of pic unless it's a pretty low effort fake.

dcx4610

I'm going to vote real based on the Game Boy Advanced logo. It's textured like the rest of the cart. Every single fake I have ever seen has a non-textured logo and a different font.

There's a always a chance that they used a donor cart and put a fake board and label on it though. Going on the art alone and cart alone, it passes the first test but you would really have to look at the pins and the board to know for certain.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Urgh, it's already sold. Should've asked for a picture of the contact as soon as I saw the ad. :/

I got mine off eBay a little over a year ago, just in the nick of time. It is a damn shame these screens ran out of supply because I freaking love this thing and wish more people could get a hold of them. Nothing beats the OG GBA form factor IMO.

I feel so much regret for not getting one of these when I had the chance. I opted for a Micro. Don't get me wrong, I love my Micro its just that I prefer the OG form factor and being able to play GB/C games.

Also, what's the best Castlevania for GBA?

One more thing, which is the best way to play GB and black GBC games that don't have special SuperGameBoy color palettes? The SuperGameBoy or the GameBoy Player? Both consoles are hookup up to a CRT via composite.

dcx4610

Circle of the Moon is the best in my opinion. Aria and Harmony are both worth playing as well but Harmony can be a confusing mess and has some ridiculous back tracking.

Aria is my favorite "Castleroid" full stop. Circle is more challenging and has a better soundtrack though (those arrangements!), both are absolutely worth playing.

Did Pokemon Crystal use the battery for saves or just time keeping? When I turn on both mine and my wife's Crystal (mine launch with yellow lined battery, hers a bit later with red lined battery) the clocks reset every time but the saves load fine.

I've already lost my Red, Gold, and Silver saves. All I have left is my Crystal and Yellow.

Did Pokemon Crystal use the battery for saves or just time keeping? When I turn on both mine and my wife's Crystal (mine launch with yellow lined battery, hers a bit later with red lined battery) the clocks reset every time but the saves load fine.

I've already lost my Red, Gold, and Silver saves. All I have left is my Crystal and Yellow.

saves. they're easy to replace, though.

prateeko

Can I replace them while the game is running in a GBA so I don't lose my save?
You're better off finding a way to transfer the save off and then back on. There are ways to do it to the computer but there was also a cheap Pokemon saver back in the day for GBC IIRC

You're better off finding a way to transfer the save off and then back on. There are ways to do it to the computer but there was also a cheap Pokemon saver back in the day for GBC IIRC
Any links? The only thing I can find is some device that uses a parallel port on an ancient PC.

prateeko

Any links? The only thing I can find is some device that uses a parallel port on an ancient PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJsnpqzdE4

It'll probably run you $10-$20 used on eBay so it kind of depends how much you want that (and other saves). I have (and re-purchased to fill the void of stolen games) all my physical GB/GBC carts but switched everything over to Everdrive GB so I can carry it all on one cart and not worry about saves ever dying.

Top Bottom