• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

I notice that there is a reseller of Rose Colored Gaming's custom GB Micro faceplates on eBay. They are $19 compared to RCG's $17 but there is free shipping. Is this reseller authorized or scalping?

I notice that there is a reseller of Rose Colored Gaming's custom GB Micro faceplates on eBay. They are $19 compared to RCG's $17 but there is free shipping. Is this reseller authorized or scalping?

Are you sure they're RCG's? Earlier in the thread someone linked some faceplates from China with the same designs that are cheaper (maybe that's where RCG sources theirs?)

Are you sure they're RCG's? Earlier in the thread someone linked some faceplates from China with the same designs that are cheaper (maybe that's where RCG sources theirs?)

I'm pretty sure RCG came out and said that whoever they originally sourced their shipments from basically just stole the designs. As in, the company that they hired to print the faceplates just turned around and started making them for themselves too, or something like that. So basically, the plates you see on eBay and places are identical to the ones that RCG sell on their website.

Probably don't want to support that kind of behavior though.

I'm pretty sure RCG came out and said that whoever they originally sourced their shipments from basically just stole the designs. As in, the company that they hired to print the faceplates just turned around and started making them for themselves too, or something like that. So basically, the plates you see on eBay and places are identical to the ones that RCG sell on their website.

Don't particularly want to support RCG's ridiculous prices, either.

Don't particularly want to support RCG's ridiculous prices, either.

So, you would rather support what are basically pirates?

I mean, I agree with you about RCG having ridiculous prices, but they do provide some pretty nice products. I would never buy one of their stupidly priced systems, but I can appreciate what they do.

So, you would rather support what are basically pirates?

I mean, I agree with you about RCG having ridiculous prices, but they do provide some pretty nice products. I would never buy one of their stupidly priced systems, but I can appreciate what they do.

I don't particularly want to support either, so given the option I'll weigh price and convenience, like anyone should.

And the claim that RCG provides "nice products" seems dubious, but that's another debate.

I don't particularly want to support either, so given the option I'll weigh price and convenience, like anyone should.

And the claim that RCG provides "nice products" seems dubious, but that's another debate.

Well that's obviously your choice to make. If you can eliminate the moral qualms of buying a stolen product from your decision process, then I guess it really does come down to price and convenience. It's just not something I can do.

What exactly would you qualify as being a "nice product" though? I guess I've just never understood the amount of hate that they get. I completely understand the high price argument, but that doesn't seem to justify the contempt.

20150805_172752.jpg

Got 4 Gameboy advance games for 20 bucks (craiglist).

Bought a Gameboy advance sp 101 with bright screen and new outer shell at ebay for 70 bucks!!

Só happy with my retro purchase

prateeko

Yeah. The Chinese factories they hired to make them also make more (including original Nintendo designs) and sell em. I'm not sure if that was part of the agreement to initially make them (that is RCG allowed it in exchange for not having to put up as much initial capital) or an unofficial price if business when dealing with companies you can't really sue.

Damn. I have the game, but just the cart. I threw out the box and instruction booklet years ago, in my big GBA box clear out.

What a FOOL.

Don't feel bad. If you are playing it then that's what matters. I wasn't doing anything with it, and we are expecting. This is going towards bills.

Don't feel bad. If you are playing it then that's what matters. I wasn't doing anything with it, and we are expecting. This is going towards bills.

Awww man. I would have given you close to that and you wouldn't have even had to pay fees!

I'm watching one right now that ends in a couple of hours, but the box isn't quite perfect. Hopefully it'll go for a little cheaper.

Edit: I recognize that Arcade control top! Marvel Super Heroes, right?

Awww man. I would have given you close to that and you wouldn't have even had to pay fees!

I'm watching one right now that ends in a couple of hours, but the box isn't quite perfect. Hopefully it'll go for a little cheaper.

Edit: I recognize that Arcade control top! Marvel Super Heroes, right?

Haha yes! Although I did sell the Marvel Super Heroes board for some good money a few months back.. long story, getting it replaced with something better anyways :)

Haha yes! Although I did sell the Marvel Super Heroes board for some good money a few months back.. long story, getting it replaced with something better anyways :)

Hah, I knew it! I had a Big Blue with that on the control panel, but it had another game in the Cabinet too.

Back on topic: Just got a boxed copy of Mega Man Zero 3 for $25. I think that'll be the next series I collect.

Hah, I knew it! I had a Big Blue with that on the control panel, but it had another game in the Cabinet too.

Back on topic: Just got a boxed copy of Mega Man Zero 3 for $25. I think that'll be the next series I collect.

if you have a DS they released a MMZ compilation on that too

Wow, I had no idea about the Super Game Boy stuff here! Really nifty stuff and worth knowing if you're a Nintendo collector. Everyone needs to watch this.

GBW is such a great series. I binge watched the first 35 or so episodes last month. They're coming at a steady pace, too. Watch these, people!
It's too bad that the Game Boy Player doesn't have Super Game Boy enhancements.

Took stock of my GameBoy collection and realized I'm missing three games.

1. Jeopardy. No big deal.

2. Gargoyle's Quest. Shoot. I love that game...

3. Mega Man V. God damn it. :/

prateeko

Damn. I have the game, but just the cart. I threw out the box and instruction booklet years ago, in my big GBA box clear out.

What a FOOL.

Don't feel bad. I pointed out that GameCube Component Cables go for ~$250 now and some guy in the GCN thread realized he tossed them out with his cube a short while back. I want to say they were $30 originally?

Don't feel bad. I pointed out that GameCube Component Cables go for ~$250 now and some guy in the GCN thread realized he tossed them out with his cube a short while back. I want to say they were $30 originally?
Oh dear. You win some, you lose some.

I've been buying a few GBA games over the last month or two from the BST thread. My contact in California shipped them over this week:

GBA%20Games_August%202015_zpsoqkj2asv.jpg

My GBA collection was already at 36 games, just got bigger.

P.S. Mother 3 translation cart was bought from Etsy, someone in this thread recommemded it a while back.

womp

Took stock of my GameBoy collection and realized I'm missing three games.

1. Jeopardy. No big deal.

2. Gargoyle's Quest. Shoot. I love that game...

3. Mega Man V. God damn it. :/

Don't feel so bad, after looting my parents attic/basement a few years back for my GB collection from 1989 on....I seem to be missing at least 10 carts from my collection. Luckily Link's Awakening wasn't one of them, but stuff like Gargoyle's Quest, Solomon's Club and Batman were. Three of my faves.

Guess I just got a free counterfeit copy of Dragon Ball Advance Adventures. Bought a copy for $14.99 + $2.54 shipping and it didn't have a picture, but I figured I would take a chance. Sure enough, I got it today and it was a fake. I knew it as soon as I opened the package and saw that crappy plastic case that all the fakes seem to come in.

Anyway, I immediately took a picture and filed a return claim. Fast forward to 15 minutes ago and I get a notification that I've received a refund for the full amount to my PayPal. I went back to see if I could print a return label and there wasn't an option for it. Apparently the return was completely closed out. I guess he didn't want to pay for shipping too, since the fake probably only cost him a couple bucks anyway.

So....yay?

womp

Picked up a Game Boy Everdrive at a local gaming show from the Stone Age Gamers table about a month ago. Very cool little thing to have! Love the red activity light. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work well in my Game Boy Pocket but I may need new batteries, runs like a champ in the SP and my modded OG GBA however.

Sorry for the second pic, my HTC One camera is a mess.

gplus-2112102557.jpg

Picked up a Game Boy Everdrive at a local gaming show from the Stone Age Gamers table about a month ago. Very cool little thing to have! Love the red activity light. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work well in my Game Boy Pocket but I may need new batteries, runs like a champ in the SP and my modded OG GBA however.

I think the power consumption while using flash carts is a little too high for the poor Game Boy Pocket and its AAA batteries to handle. I remember running LSDJ, battery life was like 20 mins on GBP using an old GB USB 64M cart, no joke.

Anyway, congrats on the Everdrive GB. Definitely thr best GB/GBC flash cart out there.

womp

I think the power consumption while using flash carts is a little too high for the poor Game Boy Pocket and its AAA batteries to handle. I remember running LSDJ, battery life was like 20 mins on GBP using an old GB USB 64M cart, no joke.

Anyway, congrats on the Everdrive GB. Definitely thr best GB/GBC flash cart out there.

Thanks! My old almost 20 year old Bung carts just can't connect with any PCs these days so it has been frustrating. Those always worked well with the pocket back at the time but I can't access them anymore unfortunately due to lack of printer ports and no sub XP OS access.

This Everdrive is a breath of fresh air.

rje

Nice! I just ordered one of these from Stone Age Gamers today and can't wait to get my hands on it. In my free time I've started work on making a little gameboy game, can't wait to see it run on real hardware :)

Nice! I just ordered one of these from Stone Age Gamers today and can't wait to get my hands on it. In my free time I've started work on making a little gameboy game, can't wait to see it run on real hardware :)
Good luck with your game!

Has anyone heard of any updates on the potential GBA
Everdrive?

Sorry for the second pic, my HTC One camera is a mess.

What's funny is that ever since I ripped out that stupid LED my Everdrive GB works just fine in my GameBoy Pocket. I think it's at its highest power draw when it's writing the game and that dumb LED is on full blast; just way too much all of a sudden for two AAAs.

tokaio

Neo Member
Yesterday I went to a flea market that takes place each year only during summer. I did not expect any video game sellers... Lots of World War 2 junk, old furniture, old (and pricey) cameras etc.. But I spotted a stand with some older games. Between all the crap N64, SNES, PSX and PS2 titles there were a few CIB GBA games. I was walking away but I took a second look and saw half of the box cover and recognized it.. I thought the seller knew what he had, but asked for the price he just said "This? 30 złotych ($8)."

So here it is:
eSrVcNI.jpg

decaf

Quite interested in picking up an Everdrive GB, but I have a couple of questions...

The cart looks to be a GBC cart - does it fit alright in original Game Boy units or just Game Boy Color units?

The cartridge is ugly as sin. Will the innards fit inside an official Game Boy Color cart? I've found some pretty neat sticker replacements here.

dcx4610

Quite interested in picking up an Everdrive GB, but I have a couple of questions...

The cart looks to be a GBC cart - does it fit alright in original Game Boy units or just Game Boy Color units?

The cartridge is ugly as sin. Will the innards fit inside an official Game Boy Color cart? I've found some pretty neat sticker replacements here.

Fits on all hardware that can play Game Boy and Game Boy Color games. The Game Boy Micro being the exception.

I have one and it's awesome. I'm not a fan of the Stone Age gamer label either though and just peeled it off.

Top Bottom