• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

So here it is:
eSrVcNI.jpg

Awesome find!

Peltz

I'm not opposed to it, either. But that's really the only difference and matters to some people, which is why I mentioned it.

I mostly agree.

It's bad when people do it to carts to make bootlegs without even telling you... especially in the Neo Geo scene. But this seller's process is fully disclosed so I see no issue with it.

Don't think it's worth upgrading from an EZFIV, but if mine craps out for some reason and the everdrive either isn't out or is prohibitively expensive, I'll probably pick one up.

I've been meaning to get back to my micro and play some romhacks, though. There's a really nice firered 'all in one' hack that I never beat.

At this point I've finished the review. I was under the impression there were some usability improvements, but it doesn't sound like it's tied to the hardware. Maybe I'll search through some forums with more info on these things.

In continuation from my response to that new EZFIV review, I've got my (older) EZFIV set up with the new firmware. It feels a bit snappier, though I may just be thinking that because it's been a while since I've used it. Thus far no issues with anything flashed to NOR, and like I said it's pretty snappy.

entremet

I learned about Shaman King on the GBA from Game Sack. Looks really great.

Seems very Igavania in style, also by Konami.

Anyone play it?

Has anyone checked these out: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0136JPHW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ? They look relatively good and I've heard they're using the original molds but I've got no way to tell short of buying and I'm very low on funds lately.

Re: Shaman King, I think I remember looking in to these games. positive impressions but nothing glowing. Not far from most decent licensed games from that point in time, I'd say.

thomasos

I learned about Shaman King on the GBA from Game Sack. Looks really great.

Seems very Igavania in style, also by Konami.

Anyone play it?

Shaman King is a lot like Iga's Castlevanias. I wouldn't call it great (it doesn't hold a candle to Iga's GBA games), but it's solid fun.

Samuray

Anyone know where I could find a cheap "Ninja Cop" repro? Really just wanna play it for now, on real hardware, until I find a real one someday.

Balb

How good is Astro Boy? I know it's always sort of been a cult hit. Looked at a video on YouTube and it looked cool/neat but also a little repetitive.

thomasos

How good is Astro Boy? I know it's always sort of been a cult hit. Looked at a video on YouTube and it looked cool/neat but also a little repetitive.

I love Astro Boy. It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous for a GBA game, and though it is a bit repetitive at times, I think it's creative, wonderfully chaotic in that trademark Treasure way, and super-fun. Bonus points if you're a fan of Tezuka's work.

Balb

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much confirms what I thought about the game. I think I'll get it, knowing that it'll be kind of fun but a little repetitive. Always interested in playing Treasure games anyway.

In general I've been making use of my Game Boy Player and playing on a monitor really highlights that a lot of GBA games weren't winners in the audio department :(. Just a random observation.

If you've got a flash cart or don't mind playing on emulators, there are a number of fan patches for audio. Obviously there isn't one for every game, but most of the big ports and such have some manner of audio patch. Same for the weird high luminosity effect they gave some early ports.

Balb

If you've got a flash cart or don't mind playing on emulators, there are a number of fan patches for audio. Obviously there isn't one for every game, but most of the big ports and such have some manner of audio patch. Same for the weird high luminosity effect they gave some early ports.

I don't have a flash cart but would be willing to consider getting one. What are some of the games that have audio patch support? I know FFVI does, which is great because I have the game but have oddly never played FFVI on any platform.

I don't have a flash cart but would be willing to consider getting one. What are some of the games that have audio patch support? I know FFVI does, which is great because I have the game but have oddly never played FFVI on any platform.

Yeah, a number of FF games have audio patches. There are pokemon audio patches for pokemon cries, I'm sure there's more but honestly romhacks are spread out so thinly over the net I never feel confident in giving a list like this lol.

That said, big audio patches seem less widespread than I had thought. Guess it's just that some of the games I've been looking in to recently are fortunate enough to have the patches.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Anyone know of a good pouch for an original design GBA? There aren't many cases floating around these days.

It can be a cell phone pouch or whatever, just something I can pop it in to protect it a little.

Anyone know of a good pouch for an original design GBA? There aren't many cases floating around these days.

It can be a cell phone pouch or whatever, just something I can pop it in to protect it a little.

Different system, but same recommendation from me. No place to store extra games, but I just travel with my EZFIV anyway.

The dimensions are similar to DSi, so I use this old neoprene 3A pouch.
It kinda looks like a warp pipe. It's cute.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079GIXTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone here buy a console from this guy?

I am tempted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...a-Color-/191664508026?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

EDIT: Never mind. Someone else has already asked literally a few posts back. My bad!

I bought one from this guy. It's good, not great. I had to open mine up because the power switch wasn't sitting right in the case and I noticed that there was a wire running from the screen just floating free in the case, not soldered to anything. I did some research and apparently it makes the screen brighter, equivalent to the bright setting on the AGS 101. I asked the guy why he didn't solder it, he said he doesn't have a soldering iron and it's really unnecessary. Maybe it is; I have both an AGS 101 and this guy's GBA and a Micro, so I'm covered for all situations. I don't care, but maybe you will.

Oh, and somehow after months of owning it the glass got separated from the chassis. I don't know how that happened as it sits in a drawer and doesn't leave the house. It stuck back into place and hasn't come off, but it's something to note.

anyone in here made cases for their systems? Specifically CGB and Micro, but I imagine the same would apply to most of the gameboys.

Carrying around a console without any sort of protection gives me panic attacks, and the 1st party offerings are overpriced and not great, so I need to get this sorted.

I bought one from this guy. It's good, not great. I had to open mine up because the power switch wasn't sitting right in the case and I noticed that there was a wire running from the screen just floating free in the case, not soldered to anything. I did some research and apparently it makes the screen brighter, equivalent to the bright setting on the AGS 101. I asked the guy why he didn't solder it, he said he doesn't have a soldering iron and it's really unnecessary.

That's screwed up. His listing says:

"Necessary soldering for brighter setting has been done, so you will get the brightest, most crisp screen possible."

How the hell can somebody be selling modded systems and not have a soldering iron.

Tripworld probably beats out both of those in terms of rarity. There are rarer games than tripworld, but I don't think any of them are particularly good.

prateeko

Yeah, a number of FF games have audio patches. There are pokemon audio patches for pokemon cries, I'm sure there's more but honestly romhacks are spread out so thinly over the net I never feel confident in giving a list like this lol.

That said, big audio patches seem less widespread than I had thought. Guess it's just that some of the games I've been looking in to recently are fortunate enough to have the patches.
I'd kill to remove the character yelling from ALttP

I'd kill to remove the character yelling from ALttP

There seems to be plenty of discussion about a hack for this, but I couldn't find a patch that seemed definitive. There's a racketboy thread about one that apparently has some minor issues, but it might be worth checking out. Don't know if linking it would violate any rules, but I googled for "link to the past gba audio rom hack" and it came up.

Can anyone tell me if the Chinese knockoff headphone adapters for the GBA SP are any good? I would rather spend $44 if they're fine, but I don't want one if it sounds like garbage.

Teknoman

Can anyone tell me if the Chinese knockoff headphone adapters for the GBA SP are any good? I would rather spend $44 if they're fine, but I don't want one if it sounds like garbage.

They sound ok, but get kinda finicky on the headphone input after awhile. Sometimes you have to push much harder than you should to make a connection.

televator

Can anyone tell me if these are real (Pokemon)? I'm changing out the batteries before posting them up for sale again. Before people seemed reluctant to take them off my hands because A) The batteries were dead on a few of them and B) I couldn't be 90% certain they were real.
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if these are real (Pokemon)? I'm changing out the batteries before posting them up for sale again. Before people seemed reluctant to take them off my hands because A) The batteries were dead on a few of them and B) I couldn't be 90% certain they were real.

Looks fine to me. All the serials and chips (of the ones I can see) seems to match legit carts.

televator

Looks fine to me. All the serials and chips (of the ones I can see) seems to match legit carts.

Hmmm, alrighty. What exactly is there to look for in the serials and chips? I know my pic is kinda dark and all, so It'd be good for me to know as I can see them in person. Oh and thank you!

Hmmm, alrighty. What exactly is there to look for in the serials and chips? I know my pic is kinda dark and all, so It'd be good for me to know as I can see them in person. Oh and thank you!

Pokemon Red: Board should have DMG-KFDN-10 + CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-APA?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Yellow: Board should have DMG-A02-01 + CR1616 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-APS?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Gold: Board should have DMG-KGDU-10 +CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-AAU?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Silver: Board should have DMG-KGDU-10 + CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-AAX?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Ruby: Board should have AGB-E05-01 printed on it, and the rom chip should most likely have AGB-AXV?-0 printed on it since it's got the bigger MX Flash eeprom chip.
Pokemon Sapphire: Board should have AGB-E05-01 printed on it, and the rom chip should most likely have AGB-AXP?-0 printed on it since it's got the bigger MX Flash eeprom chip.

Those are legit, you can tell easily by the chips and how they have been soldered on so clean.

Boots typically have windowed roms or globs covering a good portion of the board.

prateeko

Lighting is a little rough in the lower right corner but these all appear legit.

Impotaku

Have all the gameboy Goemon games (minus the shite one) however this paticular one is very special to me so it now has it's own protection to keep it safe as i finally found a protector to fit Japanese boxes. Shame theres a bit too much room around it but i have yet to find one for Jpn GB boxes that has a closer fit. Still it's more than ok for the job.
IMG_0818%20res.jpg

Want to keep that mintness for as long as posible.

televator

Pokemon Red: Board should have DMG-KFDN-10 + CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-APA?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Yellow: Board should have DMG-A02-01 + CR1616 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-APS?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Gold: Board should have DMG-KGDU-10 +CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-AAU?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Silver: Board should have DMG-KGDU-10 + CR2025 printed on it and the rom chip should have DMG-AAX?-? printed on it.
Pokemon Ruby: Board should have AGB-E05-01 printed on it, and the rom chip should most likely have AGB-AXV?-0 printed on it since it's got the bigger MX Flash eeprom chip.
Pokemon Sapphire: Board should have AGB-E05-01 printed on it, and the rom chip should most likely have AGB-AXP?-0 printed on it since it's got the bigger MX Flash eeprom chip.

Those are legit, you can tell easily by the chips and how they have been soldered on so clean.

Boots typically have windowed roms or globs covering a good portion of the board.

Lighting is a little rough in the lower right corner but these all appear legit.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the help here. Now I can be certain when people ask me about their authenticity. All of these came into my possession via my little bro so when people asked me "Are they real?" I'd be like "Uhhmmmuh" lol

prateeko

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the help here. Now I can be certain when people ask me about their authenticity. All of these came into my possession via my little bro so when people asked me "Are they real?" I'd be like "Uhhmmmuh" lol

My pleasure. I had to rebuild my GBA collection from eBay (it was stolen years ago when my parents' place was burglarized) and I got very good at figuring out what to look for. I made a short guide that summarized what I learned:
http://imgur.com/a/DTdzc

Teknoman

I've been trying on and off to fix an Azure Dreams GBC cart I got from someone on GAF awhile back. I cant see whats causing it to not boot correctly. It'll go through the company logos, and then it just stays at a blank screen. No crash noises or anything.

It looks like it had abit of corrosion on the inside, but i'd think that it wouldn't boot at all if that was the case.

Top Bottom