• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

prateeko

That's awesome. How'd you wind up with that and does it allow you to capture GB and GBC games also? Does it offer any benefits in terms of output to a larger (more modern) monitor in a more desirable manner like RGB?

Herbs

Banned
Done a couple of the screen mods on the OG GBA. I really dig the aesthetics of it. Have some more to do as well but not sure when I'll tackle them.

Herbs

Banned
Which shells/editions have you been fiddling with?

I've modded a white one for my brother, an orange spice one for me. I've got the purple grape one standing on the sidelines and the normal purple one as well. I don't like the imitation shells so finding a good quality used one is my only option really. Ah yes, also the midnight blue one still awaiting a mod as well.

prateeko

I've modded a white one for my brother, an orange spice one for me. I've got the purple grape one standing on the sidelines and the normal purple one as well. I don't like the imitation shells so finding a good quality used one is my only option really. Ah yes, also the midnight blue one still awaiting a mod as well.

I picked up celebi, suicune, midnight blue, and Japanese gold for the same reason...

Herbs

Banned
I picked up celebi, suicune, midnight blue, and Japanese gold for the same reason...

Yeah, it's nice to do them in different colors. I will say doing the mod made me appreciate the indigo blue/purple though. Such an interesting choice for the original console.

prateeko

Yeah, it's nice to do them in different colors. I will say doing the mod made me appreciate the indigo blue/purple though. Such an interesting choice for the original console.

I've always loved the purple/indigo as a main color since the GBC. I think it's why I love the mdinight blue GBA so much. It combines the indigo/purple with the clear systems that were so popular back in the day...

Borman

That's awesome. How'd you wind up with that and does it allow you to capture GB and GBC games also? Does it offer any benefits in terms of output to a larger (more modern) monitor in a more desirable manner like RGB?

I collect developer hardware :)

This should answer the second question:
qUna9w5.jpg

But basically, its a GBA in a box. Uses a GBA as a controller too. Ill be doing proper video soon of it.

S-video is where it caps out, unmodded anyway. I dont plan to mod it to see if it would do RGB, but I would imagine it would be possible. It also hooks up via an SCSI port to take HQ screenshots, but I havent tested that. Later models have USB I believe.

I collect developer hardware :)

This should answer the second question:

But basically, its a GBA in a box. Uses a GBA as a controller too. Ill be doing proper video soon of it.

S-video is where it caps out, unmodded anyway. I dont plan to mod it to see if it would do RGB, but I would imagine it would be possible. It also hooks up via an SCSI port to take HQ screenshots, but I havent tested that. Later models have USB I believe.

That's a really clean S-video signal. Looks nice.

Wow, backlit AGB mods have skyrocketed on price, average starting bid on eBay is $179 compared to apprx $99 last summer. Glad I got my backlit unit early on last year. 8)

The worst thing about those modded GBAs is the battery life. Mine only gets about two hours use before I have to put in new batteries.

I get at least if not more than 6-8 hours of battery life from my AGB 001 mod unit which was done by Peagles. Maybe there's something wrong with your unit or the batteries you're using.

My capture card does, not convenient for uploads of course. But here is a PNG :)
[IG]http://ptoponline.com/wp-content/gallery/gameboy/8.png[/IMG]

damn, it really is nice. Wish there was a good and easy solution for capturing GBC games, but it seems every system for it has one problem or another.

prateeko

Wow, backlit AGB mods have skyrocketed on price, average starting bid on eBay is $179 compared to apprx $99 last summer. Glad I got my backlit unit early on last year. 8)

Don't be fooled by the "Buy It Now" prices. If you look under sold you will see there are plenty for $100 and some <$95 (granted those are the ones with the replacement shells and whatnot). But overall, yes, prices are rising. The days of $40 LCDs (not harvested from AGS-101s) are certainly long behind us.

So, can you still get the adapter for the AGS-101 screen transplant? I've got a pink one that's scratched to crap, but I was under the impression that you couldn't find the adapters anymore.

Borman

damn, it really is nice. Wish there was a good and easy solution for capturing GBC games, but it seems every system for it has one problem or another.

GBC works fine. Tried to resize it to the right size, might be some minor issues with how video gets output (with the ratios and all)
mm.png

This cost me 350$, which isn't bad. Wideboys are going for a ton now, not that they were ever cheap.

GBC works fine. Tried to resize it to the right size, might be some minor issues with how video gets output (with the ratios and all)
mm.png

This cost me 350$, which isn't bad. Wideboys are going for a ton now, not that they were ever cheap.

Way too much for me, though. Bummer.

I'll probably end up with a modded PAL NGC for use with a gameboy player and homebrew launcher. Such a colossal amount of work for something so simple though. At this point I want every single portable to have video out on it. The psp was a godsend.

prateeko

mm.png

Hmmm, how do you find one of these? It'd would be sweet to be able to grab screenshots although it'd be amazing if it output to the TV.

So, can you still get the adapter for the AGS-101 screen transplant? I've got a pink one that's scratched to crap, but I was under the impression that you couldn't find the adapters anymore.

The ribbons? They're < $9 on eBay...

Herbs

Banned

Still available, just make sure you know which model OG GBA you are transplanting to.

Borman

Hmmm, how do you find one of these? It'd would be sweet to be able to grab screenshots although it'd be amazing if it output to the TV.

The ribbons? They're < $9 on eBay...

Luck hah, they arent cery common. Its s-video, so of course it could go to a TV.

Borman

You look on eBay or any other place? And had you ever considered the cube + component adapter solution?

Na, no Ebay in this case. A private sale from someone I knew. And if I am going to spend over 200$, I may as well by the developer hardware. Plus this is potentially more accurate.

Ravager61

So my dad is moving and I was going through the basement and picking out things I wanted to keep and stumbled across the complete box for MGS. I didn't remember saving it so I was pretty happy I found it. Might be my favorite GBC game.

Also hit the jackpot on instruction manuals. I had no idea my mom had kept these. Don't ask me why I have two copies of the Mario Land 2 instruction manual though. As far as I know, I only have 1 copy of the game.

So my dad is moving and I was going through the basement and picking out things I wanted to keep and stumbled across the complete box for MGS. I didn't remember saving it so I was pretty happy I found it. Might be my favorite GBC game.

Also hit the jackpot on instruction manuals. I had no idea my mom had kept these. Don't ask me why I have two copies of the Mario Land 2 instruction manual though. As far as I know, I only have 1 copy of the game.
Nice little haul there!

rje

Got my Everdrive GB and a refurbished DMG in the mail this week - happy that my code seems to work on the first try!

I might need to pick up another device for playing on though, it's great to play on the DMG but I had forgotten how hard it can be to see the screen clearly.

Got my Everdrive GB and a refurbished DMG in the mail this week - happy that my code seems to work on the first try!

I might need to pick up another device for playing on though, it's great to play on the DMG but I had forgotten how hard it can be to see the screen clearly.

there's a pretty nice backlight mod for DMGs if you're a bit hardware savvy

prateeko

It says 'authentic' in the description so it is likely from an actual SP 101 and not the after market screen that are no longer available.

I'm 95% certain that "aftermarket" screen was leftover stock or just the factory line being run again when demand was discovered. If it was indeed aftermarket the cable wouldn't have been so close to the ones you find in the AGS-101 and they would still be making them today since the profit margins were certainly astronomical when they were sold for $40-$50

I'm 95% certain that "aftermarket" screen was leftover stock or just the factory line being run again when demand was discovered. If it was indeed aftermarket the cable wouldn't have been so close to the ones you find in the AGS-101 and they would still be making them today since the profit margins were certainly astronomical when they were sold for $40-$50
definitely. Anyone under the impression that screen stockpile wasn't "authentic" has been mislead.

Borman

looks pretty nice. Do you have a page with all your dev consoles and the like? Would be interested in seeing some photos of your collection.

Not really unfortunately. It's hard to have it all in one place, and Im terrible at maintaining web updates hah. Ill slowly be going over pieces of the collection on the channel individually.

Not really unfortunately. It's hard to have it all in one place, and Im terrible at maintaining web updates hah. Ill slowly be going over pieces of the collection on the channel individually.

Gave you a follow, then. It's pretty cool stuff, even if it's probably not good for my financial well being that I pay too much attention

Its not good for my wallet obtaining all this stuff, if it makes you feel any better :)

yeah, I would think not haha. Every time I wander in to assembler I find myself wondering how people afford their collections. "Oh yeah, I've got 2 of them [very expensive dev/LE console or other piece] and 4 of them other [expensive things]".

Suppose it's just all about sacrificing other things to make due.

On another note: I cannot find a CIB japanese copy of the GBC Ghosts n' Goblins port. Ebay searches turn up lots of Makaimura Gaiden (Gargoyle's Quest) copies, but only a couple CIB even then. Anyone know if the game's just super rare or are my search terms not cutting it?

Borman

yeah, I would think not haha. Every time I wander in to assembler I find myself wondering how people afford their collections. "Oh yeah, I've got 2 of them [very expensive dev/LE console or other piece] and 4 of them other [expensive things]".

Suppose it's just all about sacrificing other things to make due.

Yep. I don't go out every single week, and when I do I don't go crazy. I generally don't go nuts buying retail games at $60 a pop, which the BB thing has helped a ton. In general, I don't have a ton of current gen games, only because I know I won't play them. The only complete collection that Im going for is Xbox stuff, so I generally don't buy every game under the sun either, which can waste a ton of money.

Both of my computers are Mac Pros, sure, but one I bought in 2006 when I went to college, and one I just bought and is from 2008, which I only bought because of PCI-e 1.0 on the 2006 stopping me from doing 1080p capture.

On the flipside, I can work some awesome deals out for stuff, which I can use to my advantage when it comes time to sell or trade for even better deals.

Peltz

It says 'authentic' in the description so it is likely from an actual SP 101 and not the after market screen that are no longer available.

So that's a good thing, right?

Edit: I ordered one. I'll post my impressions when it arrives.

Top Bottom